European River Cruises

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default European River Cruises

Wonder if anyone took any river cruises. What company? Where? How long?

We want to go next year for 1-2 weeks, interested in castles, wineries. Any suggestions.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post

We want to go next year for 1-2 weeks, interested in castles, wineries. Any suggestions.
Two suggestions for you - do an online search for European River Cruises and numerous companies will come up. Or, go to a travel agent (AAA) and ask for River Cruise brochures. The brochures are fully comprehensive and will show the rivers and the area and also the excursions.

You better do it really quickly because River Cruise boats only take about 140 people at a time and are usually sold out by now.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-16-2014, 05:43 PM

I have traveled most of the European and several of the Russian river trips. My use was Viking and Uniworld. Originally I took Uniword because all tours were in English which eliminated a lot of wasted time listening to other translations. River trips are somewhat more strenuous than cruise lines on open ocean since you're in port each day and some of the days the tours are walking tours and not hosted with a coach. But don't let that stop you, you will learn and see how Europe was developed and will also enjoy the intimacy of the walking tours. Enjoy your trip.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I sent you a PM..we have booked a river cruise October 2015 Paris to Prague on AMA Waterways. We have a small group with 2 cabins still available.

Check it out
Europe's Rivers & Castles: 14 Days - Travel to Paris & return from Prague or reverse: AmaWaterways.com
Old 09-20-2014, 11:40 AM

Did Viking ans Uniworld. Both first class. Would recommend either. We are using
Viking for a 15 day river cruise in France this coming October. It was sold out a year
ago.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:20 PM

You will have a wonderful cruise in France. I was on the Seine sailing south from Honfleur on 9/11/2001. We were between some high mountains and could not get reception on the TV. When the captain came on the speaker system and said he was taking our burgee down from the Bridge we all became even more alarmed. However, all worked out for us and when you go to Monet's estate you'll be dazzled. Have a wonderful cruise.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:48 AM

You will definitely enjoy these two Grand Circle River Cruises:

Bordeaux: Vineyards, Vintages & Châteaux

Romance of the Rhine and Mosel

My wife and I took the Rhine and Mosel River Cruise just recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have posted a short slide show of our trip on YouTube that you can access here.

Please contact me if you should have any questions.

Tony Crawford
Old 09-26-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post

In May 2014 we took an 8 day Viking River cruise up the Rhine River from Basel to Amsterdam. Opted to stay an extra 2 days in Holland. Never been on a cruise before and WE LOVED IT. The ships were newly commissioned in Sep 2013. About 180 passengers and 51 crewmembers. Very well organized from the time to get off the plane until your departure. Guided tours every morning with options for others in the afternoon. The menu varied and region specific. Wait staff and service crew were there for all your needs. Met another couple on the cruise who've been on 49 ship cruises, their first river cruise and said it was the best they'd experienced.

Last edited by HogPilot; 09-26-2014 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Corrected # of days
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.