Maine lobster

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2015, 09:24 PM

About 3 yrs. ago we made the trip to Acadia with our son and daughter-in-law, a most memorable trip. I sgree with the post above. Stop at one of the lobster shacks and eat ouside at a picnic table. Lobster was suculent and tender. Shouldn't be tough. I crossed one off my bucket list. Hioe to make the trip again.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
Forget the expensive hotels. Stop at one of the lobster pounds by the road where you pick out your lobster and eat it at a picnic table. That is the way to enjoy Maine lobster.
I agree, we always get our lobster (fished that day) from the Lobster Pound, perfectly steamed.
Hotels charge twice the price. $$$
That is the way to enjoy Nova Scotia/Prince Edward Island lobster.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:09 AM
Veteran member

where are the lobster pounds?
Old 08-30-2015, 07:34 AM

If you had a tough lobster it was overcooked. Too bad you did not have a good dining experience. Another factor can be size: the bigger the lobster the tougher it can be, but it would have to be around a 4-5 pounder I believe.
The best thing to do is save your money from the fancy places and find out where the locals eat, and you will generally find much better food.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Having grown up with Jersey and then Maine lobsters and New England seafood I hafta disagree with the theories put forth re the bigger/older the lobster the tougher it is when cooked.

I have found that just as in cooking a 16oz steak vs an 8oz steak, bay scallops vs sea scallops, colossals vs small shrimp...anything overcooked becomes tough. But when cooked the appropriate amount of time...it will remain tender.

fred53 makes a valid point of soft shell vs hard shell. The 1lb soft shell [shedder] weight is more water weight than its hard shell 1lb counterpart because it is a hard shell that has just outgrown its hard shell and is now growing in to a new larger hard shell - with the vacant space within the soft shell filled with water. Thus cooking a soft shell 1lb for the same amount of time as a 1lb hard shell will result in over cooking and tougher lobster meat.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
So you went for the shell fish, and switch to the fish, just for the halibut.
Sure. Not only do we want to experience the lobster, but of course seafood in general !
Old 08-30-2015, 04:02 PM
Sage

To me Maine lobster is stringy compared to Florida lobster which seems more dense. Florida lobster doesn't have the claws that Maine lobster has. They are both great eating though.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
We ordered soft shell. Tried the halibut tonight because we rarely see that on a menu in Fla. It was delicious!
Halibut is good and if cooking it yourself it stays together on the grill like cooking a steak.......Try the tropical warm water fish we have down here such as Grouper, Snapper, Mahi Mahi, Pompano, Yellowtail, Cobia, etc. The northeast cold waters are known for their clams, lobster and crabs and the warmer waters near the tropics their fish. The one exception in the warm waters is the Stone Crabs which are rated up there with the best.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:24 AM

I am not a lobster fan and I am from New England, but I would suggest trying haddock if you are up in Maine. The haddock that comes from the cold deep waters is very good. That is just my own preference.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:50 AM
Platinum member
Default Haddock also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa & Giggi View Post
I am not a lobster fan and I am from New England, but I would suggest trying haddock if you are up in Maine. The haddock that comes from the cold deep waters is very good. That is just my own preference.
I also suggest the haddock. We love it at Falmouth Fish market when we visit the Cape. Takeout and sit at the harbor for the boat view.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:52 AM
Platinum member
Default Tough lobster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
I posted previously and did get one response ref the Maine lobster?? Is it supposed to be tough? We dined at the. Bar harbor inn , which is expensive, and it was my first experience with Maine !lobster. Normally I order lobster tail in Florida and its sweet and tender. This whole lobster wasn't really sweet or tender but waiter explained that is normal. ??? Looking for opinions. Was he correct??
Sounds to me like it was overcooked.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:40 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa & Giggi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
I also suggest the haddock. We love it at Falmouth Fish market when we visit the Cape. Takeout and sit at the harbor for the boat view.
Haddock - Ain't that the truth! Can't go wrong there!

Old 08-31-2015, 01:20 PM
Platinum member

When Lobster has been frozen it gets a tough stringy texture, same with overcooking. I agree with everyone else, eating at one of those shacks is the best, the absolute best is eating on the boat.

Lobster thermidor with shaved truffles is damn good too.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:08 PM

The haddock chowder you get at diners in Maine is usually outstanding. Also, if you are ever in Freeport to visit LLBean, go the marina in South Freeport and a place called Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster. The lobster is fresh off the boats every morning.
Closed Thread

Tags
lobster, maine, sweet, tender, tail, florida, opinions, correct, normal, waiter, explained, order, tough, dined, supposed, ref, bar, experience, previously, expensive, harbor, inn, response

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.