Man forcibly dragged off plane after refusing to give up seat to United employee

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2017, 06:36 PM
Veteran member

United Airlines did nothing wrong. The flight was not oversold. Due to circumstances none of us know the Louisville flight needed a crew to keep the planes moving. When they were unable to get 4 people to give up their seat for the crew they followed procedure that Every airlines uses. Three of the bumped passengers left plane and one refused. They called security. He then disobeyed a law enforcement officer. i would love to see the video from the beginning.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:27 PM

United has the right to remove passengers....But it really looked like over kill to me.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:07 PM
Veteran member

By law enforcement not United?
Old 04-15-2017, 10:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
United Airlines did nothing wrong. The flight was not oversold...
Why do posters keep saying the flight was oversold? Before posting it would be good to actually scan the previous posts. The 4 employees were not paying customers, they were standby passengers. The passengers who were removed, or bumped, were actual paid passengers of that flight. Had they actually been oversold there wouldn't of been seats for everyone onboard. They needed to remove paid passengers so the standby passengers could come aboard to work in another city the following day. They could of just as easily been placed on a later flight that had empty seats if only the terminal agents went beyond their basic job requirements. Instead they called the police to enforce a business decision. One of the biggest mistakes they, and United has ever made.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:09 AM

The extra passengers were United employees who were needed at another location.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The final chapter will show that this "doctor" will make money. Lots of it.

I think he has a story of his own that has nothing to do with getting back to Louisville and his patients.

I go with what Midwesterner's say about folks sometimes.

That doctor?

He ain't right.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzik View Post
The extra passengers were United employees who were needed at another location.
Since they were employees why didn't one of them sit in the jump seat? You know the spare seat in the cockpit that is used by examiners and by airline employees at other times. The Embraer 170 had one, here it is. It would of saved one paying passenger from being bumped. Again, another case of the boarding agents not going above and beyond in their job.

The Villages Florida

When I was a controller I rode in the cockpit jump seat on about a dozen flights, and I wasn't even an employee, I was employed by the FAA. I wasn't an examiner, I was a controller.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:30 PM
Veteran member

Flught attendants can not sit in cockpit jumpseat. Againt FAA regulations. What kind of plane? Many of the new planes do not have jumpseats. What about weight restrictions?
Old 04-16-2017, 04:19 PM
Default Ain't right

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The final chapter will show that this "doctor" will make money. Lots of it.

I think he has a story of his own that has nothing to do with getting back to Louisville and his patients.

I go with what Midwesterner's say about folks sometimes.

That doctor?

He ain't right.
So this nefarious dr. boarded the flight with the intention of getting pulled off by security staff. His intent was to sue the airline?

His secret story accounts for the incident with the airline having no responsibility for what took place?

The airline had no other options for getting volunteers?

What do those Midwesterner's say about folks?
Old 04-16-2017, 04:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
Flught attendants can not sit in cockpit jumpseat. Againt FAA regulations. What kind of plane? Many of the new planes do not have jumpseats. What about weight restrictions?
I wrote in my post the type of plane, a Embraer 170. It has 80 seats and one jump seat, the photo in my post is an actual jump seat from a Embraer 170. Of course a flight attendant working the flight would not sit in the jump seat, it would be one of the standby employees that would sit in the jump seat.

When I worked at Pensacola approach I flew many times in the jump seat and I would get bumped by pilots who lived in Pensacola, many pilots lived in the area but weren't based there. They paid the sales tax on the ticket and that was all. I sometimes had to sit for 2 or 3 flights to Atlanta before I could catch a seat. Once I got to Atlanta, I usually didn't have a problem going anywhere. Same with this situation, an airport as big as Chicago, there would be many more flights out of Chicago.

That's why I wrote that the terminal agents didn't go beyond their basic job, actually calling in police was putting the work on some other agency. All they had to do was split up the 4 workers. Two on this flight and two on a second flight. One rides the jump seat and one rides in the back. That way only one passenger would have to give up a seat on either flight. I'm sure if they offered a better amount an a $800 voucher they would get takers. Worse case scenario, they took 3 flights for the crew to get to Kentucky. They weren't scheduled to work until the next day.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYer View Post
So this nefarious dr. boarded the flight with the intention of getting pulled off by security staff. His intent was to sue the airline?

His secret story accounts for the incident with the airline having no responsibility for what took place?

The airline had no other options for getting volunteers?

What do those Midwesterner's say about folks?
Great questions.
Closed Thread

Tags
united, plane, dragged, seat, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.