Spirit Airlines Beware!!!

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2017, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Spirit Airlines Beware!!!

Maybe I'm naive or maybe I should have investigated this a bit but be very careful falling for the scam that Spirit Airlines is running.

A few weeks ago I went to Expedia to book a flight. Spirit Airlines had the lowest price so I booked with them.

Last night I went to print out my boarding pass. I was shocked to see that they charge $45.00 for a CARRY ON BAG.

Then is only got worse. They charge you for YOUR SEAT!!! That's right you pay anywhere from $12.00 to $45.00 for a SEAT depending on where you want to sit.

With the additional charges, I'm paying more than I would have paid with almost any other airline.

I honestly don't know how this is legal.

Don't fall for this scam.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:18 AM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Maybe I'm naive or maybe I should have investigated this a bit but be very careful falling for the scam that Spirit Airlines is running.

A few weeks ago I went to Expedia to book a flight. Spirit Airlines had the lowest price so I booked with them.

Last night I went to print out my boarding pass. I was shocked to see that they charge $45.00 for a CARRY ON BAG.

Then is only got worse. They charge you for YOUR SEAT!!! That's right you pay anywhere from $12.00 to $45.00 for a SEAT depending on where you want to sit.

With the additional charges, I'm paying more than I would have paid with almost any other airline.

I honestly don't know how this is legal.

Don't fall for this scam.
Not a scam. Spirit has been using this charges for years. A lot of airlines charge for things you use to not pay for.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:45 AM

Buyer Beware! Allegiant does the same. You don't have to pay for seat selection if you don't pre-select one.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Gold member

it is not a scam. you were only looking at the price. there are other things to look at. like type aircraft, safety record, conveniences like being able to select seat before hand and print boarding pass at home, on time performance etc etc etc.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

I don't think bad planning or bad research means anyone was scammed. Our son, daughter in law, and two grand kids flew down in Dec. Non-stop, round trip on Spirit Air from Buffalo to MCO. Just under $250 TOTAL for 4 people. It took some advance planning.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Have not used Spirit, but Allegiant is an "alacart" airline, you get a personal carry on (must fit under the seat, then you pay extra for, any item in an overhead bin, your seat, any checked luggage (by weight), expedited seating, AND your boarding pass if you do not print at home, etc., I only use them when I want to fly into one specific airport, as Southwest (my favorite) does not go there.
Many airlines are going to this what I call alacart system, makes it very hard to get competitive of final pricing without actually making a reservation.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:19 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I wouldn't be surprised if they charged you to ride in one of the wheel wells!
Old 02-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran member

you get exactly what you pay for....if you need to check luggage you pay...if you need a certain seat you pay...I actually like it....also you should always go to the actual airlines sight to see all the hidden costs.... another thing to check when choosing these cheaper airlines is there dependability of flights....sometimes the last flights of the day seem to have some type of problem and are cancelled
Old 02-20-2017, 04:22 PM
Default airline

I want to praise SouthWest Airlines My husband I were booked on a flt. from MCO to BAL. for a wedding, when his health, was determined, by his Cardiologist , not to fly, I contacted SW, and sent a letter from our doctor, and we received a full refund of our tickets (no penalty) The CS rep, was so caring, and helpful. , Cant say enough about SW, great airline, great customer service, I will not fly any other airline from now on. Hope they continue, this caring attitude.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana13 View Post
I want to praise SouthWest Airlines My husband I were booked on a flt. from MCO to BAL. for a wedding, when his health, was determined, by his Cardiologist , not to fly, I contacted SW, and sent a letter from our doctor, and we received a full refund of our tickets (no penalty) The CS rep, was so caring, and helpful. , Cant say enough about SW, great airline, great customer service, I will not fly any other airline from now on. Hope they continue, this caring attitude.

Southwest and Costco, are at the top of my list...for great companies.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Gold member

Delta will soon be offering free meals (Including coach) on some of their coast to coast flights.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Sage

SW can't be beat. Two bags free, and if you change your mind, NO PROBLEM!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

SW is a great airline if you want to go where they go. We have the same issue as VillageTinkerer, to get to where we want to go requires Allegiant or a rental car or a limo if another airport. We have been lucky, in using Signature Coach and Allegiant out of Sanford, we have never missed a flight or had one cancelled. (Now looking for some wood to knock on). I'm assuming Boogie doesn't travel a lot which explains his lack of knowledge about the ala carte carriers, and his disappointment. I suspect that will not happen again

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-21-2017, 12:03 AM
Gold member

I agree with you about Spirit...the only problem is, sometimes they are the cheapest when you need a flight right away. Don't be talked into one of their credit cards either. I stupidly signed up for one while on the plane, with the promise that I would get 15,000 miles "enough for three round trip tickets and the were transferable" I thought it wasn't a bad idea, I could let my kids use them to come down to visit. The one and only time I tried to use it I found out there was a $75 fee each way to use the 'free' miles. The ticket I was sending a friend only cost $4.00 more without using them miles so I paid for the ticket to same the free miles....I just got a notice today telling me that the miles were expiring and I could use them to buy magazines if I wanted to. urgh!! Also, and I thought this was really funny....After flying Delta and getting free movies and games to use during my flights previously I found it hilarious when looking at my Spirit boarding pass and seeing..at the bottom of the page..TWO SUDOKU PUZZLES....WITH THE LINE ABOVE STATING THAT IT WAS FOR MY IN-FLIGHT ENTERTAINMENT!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I don't think bad planning or bad research means anyone was scammed.
You definitely have to look at more than the bottom-line price.
I don't know of a carrier than isn't charging for preferred-seat selection, luggage, meals, etc.
It's a very competitive industry.
Closed Thread

Tags
spirit, airlines, scam, seat, $45.00

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.