Why are cruises so complicated?

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
our last trip on the Oasis Royal Caribbean.....which we have been on 4 times previously, we had a horrific cabin steward.

The first night we noticed our sheets were scratchy, we decided to sleep on the duvay cover and found another devay under the bed and used that for a top sheet.

The next morning we explained this to the steward and he went crazy, telling us the sheets are clean....we expained they are not dirty but someone maybe went heavy with the starch.
For the rest of the cruise...6 more nights he refused to make the bed, just threw the devay on top and went about his business. being experienced cruisers we knew how much trouble he could make if we told the hotel manager, so we put up with it. on the last night we went down to the desk and informed them of what was happening. They removed his tips....but we would have to remove all or nothing.....all meaning the restuarant workers a well. having no choice we removed them all. He didn't vacume the room either. sad..... we had never experienced this. we usually over tip..
So did no one receive their tips?
Old 01-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
cruising has changed since we started back in the 80's. Prom is so over for us....
But, we went on Carnival and sat next to the captains table. the older gentleman that we sat with ordered lobster and escargo every night for dinner, and they brought it. Who knew?

I ordered steak on the QE2 and they told me I would have to settle for Lamb.
We always order escargot & shrimp cocktail. We just let our waiter or Maitre D know ahead of time. We also have ordered filet to have it a few nights a week. Never a problem.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
There are all-inclusive cruise lines where most everything is included in the price, such as Azamara, Crystal, Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, etc. They will welcome your "plenty of money" and you will have a great cruising experience.

Top 5 Luxury All-Inclusive Cruises - cruisecritic.com
Quote:
These lines are excellent, but....they tend to have clientele that, we feel, sometimes, snooty....suits are required for dinner...ect.

I like to relax when we cruise...I lean toward the spa cabins with the thermal suites.

If I have to carry a gown and heels and get my hair done for dinner....the relaxation is lost.
The cruise evenings of big hair and tuxedos are on the wane.

From VacationsToGo.com - Azamara Club Cruises Dining Information
"Dress Code: The dress code is casual. Recommended attire for men is sportswear, collared golf and polo shirts, shorts, pants, and a sport coat if desired, while recommended attire for women is sportswear, casual dresses, skirts, pants and capris, blouses and knit tops. Bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, bathing suits, shorts or jeans are not allowed in the dining room or specialty restaurants. Formal evening wear is not expected nor required."

From VacationsToGo.com - Regent Dining Information
"Dress Code: Dress is informal. Men are expected to wear a jacket, with or without a tie, whereas women should don a dress, skirt and sweater, or pantsuit. No jeans, shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes or swimwear are allowed at dinner. Casual wear (including shorts and jeans) is not appropriate after 6 p.m."

From VacationsToGo.com - SeaDream Yacht Club Dining Information
"Dress Code: The dress code is always casual. Appropriate attire for men is slacks and a sports shirt, while women are advised to wear slacks and blouse, a sundress or a pantsuit. Please bear in mind that jeans are not acceptable attire."

From VacationsToGo.com - Viking Cruises Dining Information
"Dress Code: For evenings, while there are no “formal nights,” the recommended onboard dress is "elegant casual" for most restaurants. Suggested attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, slacks and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional but not required. Dinner in The World Café remains comfortable and casual, and daytime dress is appropriate here."
Old 01-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
We always order escargot & shrimp cocktail. We just let our waiter or Maitre D know ahead of time. We also have ordered filet to have it a few nights a week. Never a problem.
didn't work for us on royal caribbean. we asked for escargot because we had missed the formal night the night before and the waiter apologized and said NO.

If we wanted steak and escargot we would have to go to the specialty paid restaurant but we didn't bring formal clothes for that one. cant remember the name off hand. Did it a few cruises ago, never again, we didn't think the dress code and the food was worth the effort.

we also thought the brazilian steak house on Royal was awefull, we paid a lot to eat there and the meat only came med and well done. they refused to do medium rare for us.

The brazilian steak house on the NCL epi/getaway and escape was fabulous and the steak house was as well. the garlic french fries were awesome and the caesar salad in the shell.....couldn't eat there enough.

one more thing about royal carb.....when you buy the dinner package you can only go to a restaurant one time.....hated that. I would of rather skipped the Italian and eat at the steak more than once. too many rules...

But one thing royal has is the broadway plays. we saw hair spray, chicago and Cats.... kuddos to that. I still don't know what a gellico cat is...never got it.....but the singing and dancing was awesome.

Last edited by kstew43; 01-09-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

A couple more add-ons to be aware of. Most cruise lines allow you to bring on board 1 bottle of wine per person. Don't be surprised to see a corkage fee of $10 for that privileged. Then on some cruise lines if you would like to drink that wine at dinner - well another fee. Best be a very good bottle of wine you are bringing. I made the mistake of asking for a bottle of water each day be put in my cabin. You know thirsty in the middle of the night. That little deal cost me $4.50 per. And the last cruise I went on now has a delivery charge of $7.50 for room service. Why are cruises so complicated ? So they can advertise $499 4 night bargains.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
didn't work for us on royal caribbean. we asked for escargot because we had missed the formal night the night before and the waiter apologized and said NO.

If we wanted steak and escargot we would have to go to the specialty paid restaurant but we didn't bring formal clothes for that one. cant remember the name off hand. Did it a few cruises ago, never again, we didn't think the dress code and the food was worth the effort.

we also thought the brazilian steak house on Royal was awefull, we paid a lot to eat there and the meat only came med and well done. they refused to do medium rare for us.

The brazilian steak house on the NCL epi/getaway and escape was fabulous and the steak house was as well. the garlic french fries were awesome and the caesar salad in the shell.....couldn't eat there enough.

one more thing about royal carb.....when you buy the dinner package you can only go to a restaurant one time.....hated that. I would of rather skipped the Italian and eat at the steak more than once. too many rules...

But one thing royal has is the broadway plays. we saw hair spray, chicago and Cats.... kuddos to that. I still don't know what a gellico cat is...never got it.....but the singing and dancing was awesome.
We always ask them at the beginning of the cruise if we want something special. They can't do it that day, just have to let them know ahead of time what night.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
A couple more add-ons to be aware of. Most cruise lines allow you to bring on board 1 bottle of wine per person. Don't be surprised to see a corkage fee of $10 for that privileged. Then on some cruise lines if you would like to drink that wine at dinner - well another fee. Best be a very good bottle of wine you are bringing. I made the mistake of asking for a bottle of water each day be put in my cabin. You know thirsty in the middle of the night. That little deal cost me $4.50 per. And the last cruise I went on now has a delivery charge of $7.50 for room service. Why are cruises so complicated ? So they can advertise $499 4 night bargains.
Usually when they charge for room service it's during the late night. They say it was a problem that people get to their room and order something, then fall asleep, or pass out. LOL Then back to the kitchen with the food.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Veteran member

We cruise HAL for ocean cruises, on the Grand World Voyage, 113 days, we had 23 Formal nights. Had Filet Migion and Lobster Tails each time in Main Dining Room. And a present in our cabin afterwards, last one were rolling duffel bags to carry all the stuff. I still pack my Tux for Formal or Gala nights now.

Book through a good travel agent who is part of a cruise travel group. Cheaper rates and they can get you perks. We are 5* Mariners so we get free laundry, two free Pinnacle Dinners a cruise, half price on Specialiity restaurants.

HAL has Indonesian cabin and dining stewards and they would never get away with the stunt on your sheets. They are overworked, doing twice the cabins as before so cabin not made when we return from Breakfast.

Tags
cruise, don’t, charges, wifi, cable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.