Is anyone going to brine their turkey?

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2015, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Is anyone going to brine their turkey?

Child one arrives with the magazine from American Airlines clutched in her paw and on the back there is a recipe for brining the turkey. (Advertisement for Kikkoman)

Seems you immerse the bird for about eight hours in " two gallons of cold water in a large stock pot or your fridge vegetable drawer along with 1/2 cup kosher salt, 2 tbsp sage, 1 tbsp. thyme, 10 oz soy sauce, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 tbsp. dried celery seed."

Then you drain and cook the bird the way you always do. Supposed to make it really delish.

sigh. Open to be convinced...but skeptical.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Child one arrives with the magazine from American Airlines clutched in her paw and on the back there is a recipe for brining the turkey. (Advertisement for Kikkoman)

Seems you immerse the bird for about eight hours in " two gallons of cold water in a large stock pot or your fridge vegetable drawer along with 1/2 cup kosher salt, 2 tbsp sage, 1 tbsp. thyme, 10 oz soy sauce, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 tbsp. dried celery seed."

Then you drain and cook the bird the way you always do. Supposed to make it really delish.

Only on Food Network!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:23 AM

Several years ago I decided to try this method, and it is wonderful. I don't know about the ingredients you listed. I did ours with salt, water, apple juice and I can't remember what else. There are recipes online. One hint though: get your largest cooler and put it in the garage and add ice to your mixture. That way you can brine it all night and it will be cold enough, and out of the way. The year I did ours, I think the turkey weighed around 20 pounds, and I've never seen a veg tray that would hold that. The turkey has to be submerged for the brining to be effective.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:28 AM

I do
Old 11-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Hi Gracie:
Yes we brine it every year and it makes it really flavorful. Here's a tip. After taking bird out of brine rinse it realy well inside and out. Then put it back in the pot full of fresh clean water and let it sit for 15 minutes to get down in the nooks and crevaces to be sure you got out all of the salt. The brine can make the turkey really salty if you skip this step. Be sure to pat turkey completely dry afterwards before applying any butter or oil to the skin.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Hi Gracie:
Yes we brine it every year and it makes it really flavorful. Here's a tip. After taking bird out of brine rinse it realy well inside and out. Then put it back in the pot full of fresh clean water and let it sit for 15 minutes to get down in the nooks and crevaces to be sure you got out all of the salt. The brine can make the turkey really salty if you skip this step. Be sure to pat turkey completely dry afterwards before applying any butter or oil to the skin.
This is very good advice. I did not include the rinse the last time I brined a turkey and it was too salty. I won't make that mistake again.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:42 AM
Veteran member

Yes. It's the moistest turkey ever, with just the kosher salt and brown sugar overnight. Then bake it with the chest down.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:31 PM

I brine everything. Turkeys, chicken breasts, pork chops. No more dried out chicken (or turkey).
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11-24-2015, 01:18 PM

besides brining and rinsing, I let it airdry in the fridge to help get a crisp skin. I use an electric turkey roaster out in the garage. I coat the skin with olive oil and Kitchen Bouquet to give it a nice brown color
Old 11-24-2015, 01:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
I brine everything. Turkeys, chicken breasts, pork chops. No more dried out chicken (or turkey).
Never thought about brining a chicken breast but it makes sense. We had a brined turkey the last few years and it was great. Brining maybe a pork tenderloin would be awesome. Now you've got me thinking! Had the best pork tenderloin at Carrabas the other night.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

[QUOTE=jnieman;1150437]Never thought about brining a chicken breast but it makes sense. We had a brined turkey the last few years and it was great. Brining maybe a pork tenderloin would be awesome. Now you've got me thinking! Had the best pork tenderloin at Carrabas the other night.[/QUOT
We started brining a few years ago, and what a difference it makes. The moistest white meat ever. We use the brining kit they sell at BB&B for $9.99. It has the brine dry ingredients in it plus the bag. We use the apple/sage, I think it's called. You mix 2 cups of sugar, some apple cider vinegar, and 5 quarts of water plus ice cubes. We leave a 15 lb turkey in around 15 hours, rinse it, then let it sit in the refrigerator uncovered for around a day (makes the skin crispier).

I have used different brining recipes before, but I really like the BB&B one best.

I've never been a big turkey fan until we started brining.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I don't even really like Turkey but you all have me salivating on the keyboard. Imagine the love and experience that the cook's in TV have given thru the Holiday Meals over the years it's just staggering. Last big family meal was cooked by a daughter in law, she's a fine wife for my son, a phenomenal mom for our grandchildren but has a long way to catch up to the skills her mom has as one of the families main chef's. So the more experienced cooks didn't start out that good from what I heard from my grandmother. Time takes time. Their skills will improve. We graciously eat the meal and do our post mortem on the ride home quietly. Without fail one of the other kids will call it dog food or something dumb and there goes The Hallmark Card Thanksgiving. We are not in TV yet but still have so much to be grateful about. We are grateful to the people we have communicated with on TOTV and for the great support many have given during the process of getting the operation down south. I'm going to bring up this new way of cooking if there is a lull in the conversation at the dinner table, I felt Like Christopher Columbus when I bought the deep fryer method several years back only to find out everyone else knew about it already. Happy Thanksgiving To All!
Old 11-24-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyCakes View Post
Several years ago I decided to try this method, and it is wonderful. I don't know about the ingredients you listed. I did ours with salt, water, apple juice and I can't remember what else. There are recipes online. One hint though: get your largest cooler and put it in the garage and add ice to your mixture. That way you can brine it all night and it will be cold enough, and out of the way. The year I did ours, I think the turkey weighed around 20 pounds, and I've never seen a veg tray that would hold that. The turkey has to be submerged for the brining to be effective.

A 5 gallon bucket works wonders.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:06 PM

Does anyone have experience with the dry rub brine?
Old 11-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by debow View Post
Does anyone have experience with the dry rub brine?
Doing a dry brine this year for the first time. Brine consists of coarse salt, pepper, and zest of one lemon. It is then tightly wrapped in plastic wrap for two days and then unwrapped and left to dry in the fridge for 24 hours. Much easier then a wet brine - not sure yet how it will compare in taste.
Closed Thread

Tags
tbsp, turkey, 1/2, bird, cup, soy, sugar, sauce, drawer, thyme, salt, kosher, dried, sage, sigh, delish, open, skeptical, convinced, make, drain, vegetable, seed, cook, supposed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.