Butternut Squash Soup---too easy to even call it soup.

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2015, 06:24 AM
Sage
Default Butternut Squash Soup---too easy to even call it soup.

Just peel it, cube it, add a diced browned onion cooked in butter, paprika, S&P and chicken broth in a crock pot.

I was supposed to add cream cheese and I think that would be even better but I did not.

It's a delicious way to get a lot of fiber.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Sage

Old 10-16-2015, 09:56 PM

I have a question about crock pots. I have never had one and do not want any appliance just gathering dust. People have told me the food is bland and mushy. What are the foods you prepare in it? With squash soup or curried carrot or mushroom I usually just sautee a bunch of sliced onions, add chicken stock, water, wine etc, bring to a boil, simmer for an hour and then add whatever spices such as curry, ginger, tumeric etc etc. i guess I am kinda old school but if there is something worthwhile in using a crockpot, please let me know.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:14 AM

If you enjoy cooking and have the time then there is no real need for a slow cooker. But if you prefer to put ingredients together, setting the temperature and walking away for the day, then you would enjoy a slow cooker. It's a matter of taste......(pun intended).

BTW-"bland and mushy" is possible but there are many excellent slow cooker recipes that are wonderfully inventive and anything BUT that description.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Just peel it, cube it, add a diced browned onion cooked in butter, paprika, S&P and chicken broth in a crock pot.

I was supposed to add cream cheese and I think that would be even better but I did not.

It's a delicious way to get a lot of fiber.
Wonderful base for a soup that you can change to your taste. Adding some fresh or ground ginger lends an 'Asian' flavor. A few scrapes of fresh nutmeg makes it taste like 'fall'. I like to add some kale leaves (sliced) for even more fiber and nutrition. The dark green added to the golden squash makes for a lovely presentation. Also, nice if you add a small spoonful of sour cream at serving....or a sprinkling of crispy bacon.....the additions are limitless.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

gonna give it a try! We got squash..lots of it!
Old 10-25-2015, 03:21 PM
Gold member

I love this soup and make it often. For change of pace, add one can of Southwest flavored cheese
Old 10-25-2015, 03:36 PM
Gold member

Sounds good!
Closed Thread

Tags
add, cheese, supposed, cream, delicious, lot, fiber, chicken, peel, cube, soup, call, squash, soup---too, easy, diced, browned, butternut, broth, crock, s&p, paprika, onion, cooked, butter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.