Central Ohio Chili recipe wanted.

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2016, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Central Ohio Chili recipe wanted.

Lots of folks know about Cincinnati Chili that has cinnamon and chocolate in it but I am searching for the Columbus, Ohio chili I had as a kid. It was a soupy-soup with a rich tomato broth, maybe a touch of sugar, ground beef and I think celery AND onion. Can't quite reproduce the exact taste. Bay leaf I remember and chili powder............. Anyone have one to share from the middle part of Ohio?
Old 10-31-2016, 06:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Lots of folks know about Cincinnati Chili that has cinnamon and chocolate in it but I am searching for the Columbus, Ohio chili I had as a kid. It was a soupy-soup with a rich tomato broth, maybe a touch of sugar, ground beef and I think celery AND onion. Can't quite reproduce the exact taste. Bay leaf I remember and chili powder............. Anyone have one to share from the middle part of Ohio?
Hi Gracie:
Being from Ohio I know that taste and love it too. I think I have what you are looking for. It is about as easy as it gets and so delicious. It has a little heat to it as it has a can of tomatoes with green chilis and I add about a tablespoon of sugar at the end. Yes I'm also an Ohio transplant and it's not the one with cinnamon.

Ground Beef Chili

Ingredients

1 onion, chopped med
1 1/2 lb ground round
3 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (10.75-oz) can condensed tomato soup
1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes/sweet onions (undrained)
1 (10-oz) can milder diced tomatoes/green chiles (Rotel) (undrained)
1 (16-oz) can chili beans in mild sauce (undrained)
1 (15-oz) can black beans (drained)
I also like adding kidney beans (drained and rinsed) if you like them instead of the black beans for a different texture
1 Tablespoon Sugar

Prep
- Chop onion; divide in half.

Steps
1. Preheat large saucepan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place beef, chili powder, seasoned salt, pepper, and one-half of the onions in pan; cook 4-5 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until meat is brown and no pink remains.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients, including remaining one-half onions. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
3. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 10 more minutes to blend flavors. Serve.

I serve this with fixings. Sour cream, diced sweet onion, crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese.

Last edited by jnieman; 10-31-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Hi Gracie:
Being from Ohio I know that taste and love it too. I think I have what you are looking for. It is about as easy as it gets and so delicious. It has a little heat to it as it has a can of tomatoes with green chilis and I add about a tablespoon of sugar at the end. Yes I'm also an Ohio transplant and it's not the one with cinnamon.

Ground Beef Chili

Ingredients

1 onion, chopped med
1 1/2 lb ground round
3 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (10.75-oz) can condensed tomato soup
1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes/sweet onions (undrained)
1 (10-oz) can milder diced tomatoes/green chiles (Rotel) (undrained)
1 (16-oz) can chili beans in mild sauce (undrained)
1 (15-oz) can black beans (drained)
I also like adding kidney beans (drained and rinsed) if you like them instead of the black beans for a different texture
1 Tablespoon Sugar

Prep
- Chop onion; divide in half.

Steps
1. Preheat large saucepan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place beef, chili powder, seasoned salt, pepper, and one-half of the onions in pan; cook 4-5 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until meat is brown and no pink remains.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients, including remaining one-half onions. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
3. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 10 more minutes to blend flavors. Serve.

I serve this with fixings. Sour cream, diced sweet onion, crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese.
THANK YOU. Many like spicy southwest chili, but this is what I love.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Don't know about a central Ohio chili recipe, but I can send you a yummy Arkansas one, and no, before anyone asks, it doesn't involve road kill.

Tags
ohio, chili, celery, onion, sugar

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.