In the Kitchen - What's the best home cooked food you've made lately?

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2017, 11:11 AM
Sage
Default In the Kitchen - What's the best home cooked food you've made lately?

I see people don't post much in the kitchen forum and I don't know why. We all cook (at least most of us). I have begun watching Craftsy.com videos and have been learning some new techniques in the kitchen. I have been cooking for many years but there is always something new to learn.

I took an online class on roasting chickens, steaks, chops, roasts, etc. It really opened my eyes to the process that should be used for each and how to cook each to perfection.

The best thing I have made in my kitchen lately are 2 delicious ribeye steaks. I learned a new technique on how to use my well-seasoned cast iron pan on top of my stove. I put a little grape seed oil in the skillet (grape seed oil doesn't smoke as much). I patted dry the steaks which they say is very important. Seasoned them well with kosher salt and pepper. Browned them on medium heat until well seared. Put the steaks in a 375 degree oven and tested them with my cooking thermometer until they reached medium. About 6 minutes. Took them out of the oven, put a pat of butter on top, and let them sit for 15 minutes. Served them with horseradish sauce that I made by mixing sour cream and horseradish. So great!! You can try different seasonings like lemon pepper, seasoned salt, or whatever you like. The most important part is that you pat the steak very dry. Putting a wet steak in a pan will make it turn grey. Also important is taking the steak out of the refrigerator for an hour to take the chill off before cooking.

What is your best thing you've made lately?
Old 03-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Eternal Member

I don't cook often, but my last good meal I cooked was a pot roast, mashed potatoes, gravy & buttered carrots.
Pot roast: I put good amount of salt & pepper & a little garlic salt on it. Pan sear the pot roast on the stove in my baking pan, add sliced onion to make the gravy tasty & a cup of beef broth, cover tight with foil, cook 3 hours. I always add a little cream cheese as well as milk & butter to my mashed potatoes. Boil the carrots, drain and add butter.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I don't cook often, but my last good meal I cooked was a pot roast, mashed potatoes, gravy & buttered carrots.
Pot roast: I put good amount of salt & pepper & a little garlic salt on it. Pan sear the pot roast on the stove in my baking pan, add sliced onion to make the gravy tasty & a cup of beef broth, cover tight with foil, cook 3 hours. I always add a little cream cheese as well as milk & butter to my mashed potatoes. Boil the carrots, drain and add butter.
What temp did you cook the roast? A friend of mine puts cream cheese and milk and butter in her mashed potatoes and they are the best I have ever had.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
what temp did you cook the roast? A friend of mine puts cream cheese and milk and butter in her mashed potatoes and they are the best i have ever had.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:24 PM
Veteran member

I bought an Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker) last year and today made Squash Soup. Throw butternut squash, carrots, onion, celery and garlic in the pot with some chicken stock (which you can also make in the Instant Pot!). Pressure cook it for 30 min. Smash it all together with an immersion blender and add a can of coconut milk. It has lots of herbs and some red pepper flakes, and is amazingly flavorful.

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 03-13-2017, 04:09 PM
Sage

Chile in a crock pot, cooking at least 8 hours. I make it several times this time of year in the cooler weather.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:26 PM
Veteran member

Making this now: Best Bundt Pan Rotisserie Chicken - How to Make Bundt Pan Rotisserie Chicken

Smells delightful and almost ready.

Good thread OP!
Old 03-13-2017, 05:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
Making this now: Best Bundt Pan Rotisserie Chicken - How to Make Bundt Pan Rotisserie Chicken

Good thread OP!
I will definitely be making this! It kind of reminds me the way they cook chickens on a rotisserie only without all of the equipment. Such a great idea. I love the idea of the veggies in the bottom of the pan as roasted vegetables are my favorites.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Chile in a crock pot, cooking at least 8 hours. I make it several times this time of year in the cooler weather.
Do you add the beans in after it is finished cooking or during the cooking process?
Old 03-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabanana73 View Post
I bought an Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker) last year and today made Squash Soup. Throw butternut squash, carrots, onion, celery and garlic in the pot with some chicken stock (which you can also make in the Instant Pot!). Pressure cook it for 30 min. Smash it all together with an immersion blender and add a can of coconut milk. It has lots of herbs and some red pepper flakes, and is amazingly flavorful.
This sounds really good. My sister swears by her instant pot. I love using my immersion blender on my soups. I use it to some extent on all of my soups to thicken them a little and to make them not so brothy. I have not used coconut milk in soup. I usually use cream in my creamy soups. This is something to definitely try.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
... roasted vegetables are my favorites.
The other day, I made some roasted Brussels sprouts in my toaster oven. They were great.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:45 PM
Veteran member

I make Portuguese kale soup (sopa de couves) several times in the cooler weather, and usually make a huge pot to bring to neighborhood pot lucks and it's always a big hit and is requested. Portuguese families would serve it as a main dish on Sunday (or any other day of the week) with a crusty Portuguese bread. My version is made with potatoes, kale, cabbage, onions, red kidney beans, a quartered beef or pork roast, and sliced Linguica or Chourico sausage.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
I make Portuguese kale soup (sopa de couves) several times in the cooler weather, and usually make a huge pot to bring to neighborhood pot lucks and it's always a big hit and is requested. Portuguese families would serve it as a main dish on Sunday (or any other day of the week) with a crusty Portuguese bread. My version is made with potatoes, kale, cabbage, onions, red kidney beans, a quartered beef or pork roast, and sliced Linguica or Chourico sausage.
Sounds delicious! Always love to try new soups. I'll look up Portuguese bread on Pinterest. I am getting better at making my own bread.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post

Good thread OP!
It was delicious! Nice and easy dinner for company. Light lemon flavor.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:33 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Thank you for sharing the website. I would never have found it otherwise. I am not crafty so those classes would not be for me, but those cooking classes look interesting.

We often use an old-fashioned pressure cooker. Pot roast never fails under pressure.

The sound of a pressure cooker on the stove is a sound I associate with my childhood.

From the list of cooking classes offered, it looks like pressure cookers are in again.

Last edited by Boomer; 03-14-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
kitchen, steaks, made, put, cooking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.