In the Kitchen - What's the best home cooked food you've made lately?

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2017, 09:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

I start a fire on my kamodo grill, the charcoal gets to 600. I set a cast iron all in a ring designed to hold the wok over the coals. Close the lid so the entire wok gets to 550. Then I stir fry thinly sliced chicken, add stir fry veggies (from the frozen food section). You really are in for an experience cooking stir fry at these temps.

I top off the dish with peanut sauce. Easy and any splatter from the oil is outside!
Old 07-13-2017, 10:23 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Foie gras terrine. The hardest part was finding the duck livers which I bought at a Vietnamese butcher although pureeing the livers manually took some time and effort.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-13-2017, 10:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I start a fire on my kamodo grill, the charcoal gets to 600. I set a cast iron all in a ring designed to hold the wok over the coals. Close the lid so the entire wok gets to 550. Then I stir fry thinly sliced chicken, add stir fry veggies (from the frozen food section). You really are in for an experience cooking stir fry at these temps.

I top off the dish with peanut sauce. Easy and any splatter from the oil is outside!
Does the chicken stick to the cast iron?
Old 07-13-2017, 10:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
You can also buy Bob Evans mashed potatoes at Publix and they are pretty darn good. Just heat them in the microwave. If serving to company an hour before they get there dump two packages in a bowl, stir in some butter, half and half and heat stirring a couple of times. Serve with a few pats of butter on top. You can't tell the difference from homemade. I have not liked some of the other brands however. I don't like the texture of previously frozen mashed potatoes, but that's just me.
Butter, half n half, then more butter. Yummy!
Old 07-14-2017, 12:26 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Foie gras terrine. The hardest part was finding the duck livers which I bought at a Vietnamese butcher although pureeing the livers manually took some time and effort.
You mean you don't still have a Bass-O-Matic?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:37 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Chesapeake Bay crab cakes! Fresh crab caught off my dock, steamed and picked clean. Mix crab meat with sliced sweet onion and crushed ritz crackers lightly fried. Bate the crab pots and do it again!
Old 07-14-2017, 06:48 AM
Sage

A b.l.t.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 07-14-2017, 07:29 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Butter, half n half, then more butter. Yummy!
Yum, sounds like my mashed potato and butter soup. LOL
Old 07-14-2017, 07:31 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
You can also buy Bob Evans mashed potatoes at Publix and they are pretty darn good. Just heat them in the microwave. If serving to company an hour before they get there dump two packages in a bowl, stir in some butter, half and half and heat stirring a couple of times. Serve with a few pats of butter on top. You can't tell the difference from homemade. I have not liked some of the other brands however. I don't like the texture of previously frozen mashed potatoes, but that's just me.
I agree. It's not worth peeling, cutting, boiling, mashing, etc. Just pop a container in the microwave. They are good and hubby buys several when they are on sale.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:53 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Grilled pork skewers, marinated in a sweet and spicy bbq sauce, except it was raining, so broiled them instead. Grilled veggies (zucchini, summer squash, asparagus, onions, red and yellow bell peppers, portobello mushrooms), tossed with teriyaki sauce, actually cooked on stove top in a grill pan cause of the rain. Still ended up with nice char marks. Spicy angel hair pasta salad. Easy, fast, yummy.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-14-2017, 10:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Does the chicken stick to the cast iron?
No, I seasoned the Cast Iron just like a seasoned Skillet. The advantage of this approach is the cast iron is indestructible, if it is stored dry,

Kamodo Joe brand grill has the wok holder built in to its system for holding the grill racks and ceramic heat deflectors. The entire system is occasionally purchased by Green Egg owners as Green egg does not use this approach, exactly.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
No, I seasoned the Cast Iron just like a seasoned Skillet. The advantage of this approach is the cast iron is indestructible, if it is stored dry,

Kamodo Joe brand grill has the wok holder built in to its system for holding the grill racks and ceramic heat deflectors. The entire system is occasionally purchased by Green Egg owners as Green egg does not use this approach, exactly.
Very informative. Big Green Egg vs Kamado Joe Ceramic Grills - YouTube
Old 07-14-2017, 07:52 PM
Veteran member

We cook at home quite a bit. Two of my wife's specialties are Chicken Cordon Bleu, and a dish called Bisquit Lasagna, which is lasagna without noodles, baked in crescent dinner roles, kind of like a calzone. Of the many dishes I make, she likes Chicken Saltimbocca with a lemon sauce, and Chicken Picatta. We both find cooking very relaxing, and frankly prefer what we make to many restaurants, although there are a number we do like.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:57 PM
Sage
Default homemade croutons or garlic toast

Years ago we ate at a steakhouse up North and loved the garlic toast they put on the tables with fresh butter and soft cheese. We have not seen this duplicated in years. I decided to try to make a version of the garlic toast this week. I buttered four slices of regular white bread (not artisian plain old white bread) liberally, sprinkled it lightly with garlic powder. Did the same for the other side. Placed it directly on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven. Checked it after about 6 minutes to see if the bottom was really brown and it was. Flipped it over for approx another 5 min. This should be crispy bread now. I let it cool and cut it up in crouton shapes and serve it on top of salad. The other thing you could do is cut it in quarters and serve it with soft butter. I know butter on butter but this is a special treat. So delicious! Ovens vary so keep checking it.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Eternal Member

The other night I made pot roast, mashed potatoes & corn. It's one of hubby's favorites.
He's also one of those guys that likes anything with hamburger.

Tags
kitchen, steaks, made, put, cooking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.