Tom & Jerry Holiday Drink

Closed Thread
Old 12-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Sage
Default Tom & Jerry Holiday Drink

I grew up in eastern Iowa. At Christmas time, we would make Tom & Jerry holiday drinks -- non alcoholic for those not of legal age, and for those 21 and over, they were served with rum and brandy. How many TOTV members are familiar with Tom & Jerry's?

When I moved to Chicago in the late 1970's, very few people were familiar with Tom & Jerry's and that is still the case. I have to go back to Iowa at Christmas for my Tom & Jerry's.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Sage

I hadn't heard of Tom and Jerry's in years and years. I'm from the midwest as well but where we were from, they were alcoholic drinks. I think one got the mix at the store from a cooler and then the alcohol was added....but I can't remember what kind...gin or whiskey??!!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I grew up in eastern Iowa. At Christmas time, we would make Tom & Jerry holiday drinks -- non alcoholic for those not of legal age, and for those 21 and over, they were served with rum and brandy. How many TOTV members are familiar with Tom & Jerry's?

When I moved to Chicago in the late 1970's, very few people were familiar with Tom & Jerry's and that is still the case. I have to go back to Iowa at Christmas for my Tom & Jerry's.
My Mother and Father served Tom and Jerry's New Years Day for all their friends who were hung over from New Years Eve for many years. My wife and I have also had many New Years Day Tom and Jerry parties over the years. I inherited my great grandfathers Tom and Jerry bowl and 12 cups. He owned a tavern in central Missouri in an area they call Little Rhineland, and served from the Tom and Jerry bowl over the holidays around the turn of the 19th and 20th century. Tom and Jerry's are delicious, but loaded with sugar and not good for a borderline diabetic.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:31 AM

I'm from Minnesota and Tom and Jerrys are a holiday fixture here. Most people have a closely guarded secret family recipe for the perfect Tom and Jerry but I suspect they are all pretty much the same. I remember we mostly used Brandy many years ago but Rum eventually took over as the preferred "additive". I think I've still got a Tom and Jerry bowl and cups here somewhere. I may have to take them with me when I move to Florida.

I'll tip one in your honor tomorrow evening.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Eternal Member

We had a Tom & Jerry bowl & cups and made them every Christmas Eve.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I hadn't heard of Tom and Jerry's in years and years. I'm from the midwest as well but where we were from, they were alcoholic drinks. I think one got the mix at the store from a cooler and then the alcohol was added....but I can't remember what kind...gin or whiskey??!!
I buy the Tom & Jerry mix from the local grocery store in Iowa. The mix is kept in the freezer, and it looks like vanilla ice cream. Yes, it is not for the diabetic. I put a half shot of brandy and half shot of rum in mine. Top with nutmeg. I will be having a few Tom & Jerry's while I'm in Iowa. Can't buy the Tom & Jerry mix in the Chicago area.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:51 PM

Ingredients

12 egg(s)
1 cup sugar
1 bottle brandy
Pinch of ground allspice
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground cloves
1 bottle dark rum
milk
nutmeg

Glass Type: mug
Instructions

Separate the eggs. Beat the whites until they form a stiff froth, and the yolks -- to which you have added the sugar -- "until they are as thin as water," as the professor advises, gradually adding 4 ounces brandy (spiceaholics will also add a pinch each of ground allspice, cinnamon, and cloves). Fold the whites into the yolks. When ready to serve, give it another stir and then put 1 tablespoon of this batter in a small mug or tumbler. Now add 1 ounce brandy (although some die-hard Dixiecrats prefer bourbon) and 1 ounce Jamaican rum, stirring constantly to avoid curdling. Fill to the top with hot milk and stir until you get foam. Sprinkle a little grated nutmeg on top. This one may require practice and a certain amount of fiddling, but it's well worth the effort. Note: Some people find the milk too rich and filling, so they use half hot milk, half boiling water.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:53 PM

TOM & JERRY CHRISTMAS DRINK BATTER RECIPE - YouTube
Old 12-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Platinum member

Sounds a whole lot like good ole southern egg nog!
Old 12-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Platinum member

Sounds similar to Hot Buttered Rum.....yummy!
Hot Buttered Rum Batter Recipe - Allrecipes.com

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 12-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Sage

I've only had the Tom & Jerry with boiling water, never with hot milk. Might want to try the hot milk variety.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Sage

I guess I was raised in a convent as I have never heard of a Tom and Jerry.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Platinum member

Without even trying it, I wholeheartedly endorse Deb01's recipe!

I mean, how can it possibly go wrong??????????????????

SWR

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.