Thermofoil cabinets

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Gold member
Question Thermofoil cabinets

Anyone with Thermofoil Cabinets unhappy with them over time?

I have been reading online that if one is any kind of a cook that the heat from the stove with make the cabinet finish peel or bubble. Have you had this problem?

I am a cook, at least at home, but am hesitant choosing the white thermofoil cabinets.

Thoughts????
Old 01-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Thermafoil cabinets can withstand oven heat. The one draw back is that they may discolor with prolonged exposure to tabacco smoke.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Thermafoil cabinets can withstand oven heat. The one draw back is that they may discolor with prolonged exposure to tabacco smoke.
Thank you so much for your answer. Since we are not smokers this will be a good choice for us.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Gold member

Hold-on there. We have had them in our condo for 12 years. Some doors and drawer fronts have delaminated around the edges and corners, and the outside surfaces yellowed from age. We have had some replaced due to delamination, and the newer ones are brighter. If you broil with the oven door open, or run the self-cleaning cycle, then you have to open the adjacent doors and drawers to keep the edges from melting. We forgot this one time, and had to order replacements. Brand was American Woodmark from Home Depot. Maybe the Villages quality is better, but I would not bet on it. On the plus side, they wash up well, and don't chip easily from hard use.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Veteran member

We bought a 14 year old home in 2004. It had thermafoil cabinets. The pantry cabinet had 4 white doors. Three of them yellowed & one did not. That was the most obvious spot but ALL the doors and drawers were discolored. They didn't delaminate or bubble per se' but if you caught an edge just right the finish did crack and peel off. We have since replaced them with "Truwood" cabinets.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 01-20-2013, 10:31 PM

From what I understand, the newer thermofoil cabinets do not discolor. If you have these cabinets and they are 10 years old or more, then yes, they were subject to yellowing. If you google this, there is lots of information on this issue.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 PM

We have 8 year old white Thermofoil cabinets that I believe were made by Kraftmaid. They are in perfect condition with no delaminating or yellowing and they clean very easily. Very happy with them.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Veteran member

One thing I forgot to mention; the dis-colorization was so subtle that most people would not see it until pointed out. We didn't notice it until we took a flash picture in the kitchen. Of course once you knew it was there, it was as obvious as the nose on your face..
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 01-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Gold member

And we did not notice it until a fresh door was mounted.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.