About the Man Who Lost Weight and Got In-Shape

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2015, 11:41 AM
Default About the Man Who Lost Weight and Got In-Shape

I read the story in the Sun about the guy who brought his brother to the Villages and the success he has had losing weight and getting in-shape-quite inspirational. I threw the paper away, and would like to get in contact with him to try to replicate his success.
I've been here since May and have gained 25 pounds-life is too good!
The Villages has it all, but it's tough to know how to start to improve my quality of life.
If anyone knows the gentleman, please have him PM me. I'd
like to speak with him before my "freshman" 25 becomes 40!
Thank you.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I didn't see the article, but I bet it involved joining a gym. Since you live on the historic side, you might first check out MVP Health Club Spanish Springs and opening soon will be the To Your Health Club in Lady Lake.

The MVP you could reach by golf cart and the soon to open To Your Health is down 441/27 across from Oakwood BBQ. I belong to the MVP at Brownwood and go 5 days a week, and for a single membership it is $60 a month. The To Your Health Club is a real bargain, I believe they will be $20 a month for those signing up before opening. They will have an indoor pool.

As you found out the TV had many ways for you to gain weight, there are just as many ways to lose weight. Have you considered softball. If it's been a while since you've played or are hesitant about trying out. You're in luck, the level 5 softball teams (lowest level) play their games at Knudsen Field in the historic side. Pickleball is another great way of getting in shape. It starts with watching your diet and daily exercise, which is why I recommend joining a gym first.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Email Reported As Spam

You do not elaborate on your background so I am making some assumption.

My first suggested is to visit your Primary care physician first and explain your goals . If you join a health club I would also recommend a personal trainer and explain to the trainer your health goals. I like MVP and prefer their Spanish Springs site; albeit I have been to Brownwood. I would compare bona fides of the various trainers to determine the best choice for you. I lost 25 pounds since moving here and have kept it off and believe me when I say I am not starving myself.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 08-30-2015, 01:40 PM

I have learned that there is no secret to losing weight. What works for one person may not work for another.

Want to get in shape? Eat healthy foods in smaller portions and get out and move. Cut out or severely limit added salt, refined sugar and white, refined wheat carbs. Drinking lots of water helps, too.

Fortunately, there are lots of ways to get moving here in TV. Dancing, exercise classes of just about every kind, water aerobics, gym memberships, walking, bicycling, etc. The hard part is figuring out what you like to do.

The only "trick" to it all is to just do it. Period.

Gaining,, on the other hand, is a breeze. It involves sitting on your butt while eating and drinking too much of the wrong things.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Sage

If it was the article that was in T.S. a few days ago...this is what he did. He began to go to the pool for water aerobics. His brother and sister in law are keeping him accountable. The SIL is shopping (I think) and fixing his meals so he's eating healthy. He's lost 40 lbs since June (I think it read). He might have added some walking to his exercise as well. You don't really need a trainer and a gym to do this. It's a mind-set committment and a life-style change. I can attest to this as I've been there AND am doing it!! It's going on 3 yrs now and I too have lost a bunch of lbs and a couple of clothing sizes.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:43 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

An acquaintance of mine has been VERY successful at permanent weight loss since having joined the TOPS [Take Off Pounds Sensibly] club in TV.

The district gov website lists two club meeting times/contacts:
TOPS 2
(Evening) qTHU@5:30PM Lake Miona
Nancy Van Rooy, 2003 Ridge Spring Dr, The Villages, FL 32162
(352) 259-6552/(352) 874-1314

TOPS qM@9:30AM Paradise
Charleen Lawless, 910 Kim Lane, The Villages, FL 32159
(352) 753-7899

The Paradise Rec Ctr is practically around a corner or two or three from you! With just your doctor's advice, group support can be a great replacement for a personal trainer or chef. And I'd bet it is less expensive than joining a fitness center!

My doctor always told me that the best exercise I could do was to push myself away from the table!

Old 08-30-2015, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

After the doctor says you are able to excerise ? Stop eating the potato chips, drinking beer or 12 tablespoons of sugar in 12 oz soda. Laid off the breed and of course eat less at meals. Drink water or 100 sugar free juice. Depending on how heavy you are now get out and start walking. Start slow and work your way up to 3 to 5 miles Daily or twice daily. Now. Find activity you like which doesn't involve sitting down.
I've lost 25 pounds in less than year, 10 more and I will be at my preimum weight of 170 at 6 foot. YOU CAN DO IT, just start moving and eating less?
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, success, weight, start, improve, good, tough, gentleman, speak, freshman, life, quality, brother, brought, losing, guy, sun, lost, man, in-shape, story, read, in-shape-quite, inspirational, replicate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.