Aerobics in Neighborhood Pools

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2014, 05:04 PM
Default Aerobics in Neighborhood Pools

So glad to read in the Daily Sun today that the Recreation Department is clamping down on those over-zealous and pushy (in the sense of literally pushing non-aerobic group pool users out of the way) non-sanctioned exercise groups who take over some neighborhood pools.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Platinum member

Wonder how the clamping will be done. Certainly not by calling Community Watch personnel. They have no authority to enforce any rules.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams

Last edited by getdul981; 10-30-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:42 PM

Very happy to see it, wonder how long it will last????? Might be good to cut it out and carry it with you.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Maybe it was the fact that they weren't signing liability waivers that finally got the rec centers' attention. Could be a problem if someone got injured or drowned.

Last edited by CFrance; 10-30-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I am not a pool person but I have heard about this kind of thing happening at a number of different swimming pools. While I find it outrageous that this is happening because it prevents the normal pool goer from enjoying their own community pool, why haven't any of the residents who have been inconvenienced by these groups formed their own group and jumped in to swim anyway? Consequently, by doing so, they would break up these water aerobics groups?

I've also been told that there are a few specific pools where these aerobic swim groups can do this, without interferring with regular swimmers at local pools.

As I said, I don't go to a pool but why have these aerobic fanatics been permitted to take over these pools so no that one else can enjoy them? I'm sure there must be more to this pool problem of which I am not aware.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Wonder how the clampinbg will be done. Certainly not by calling Community Watch personnel. They have no authority to enforce any rules.
It will be enforced by the same people that enforce the no reserved seats in the square rule.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:47 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
It will be enforced by the same people that enforce the no reserved seats in the square rule.
Get to the good shows early!

I do!
Old 10-29-2014, 11:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Wonder how the clamping will be done.
The "clamping down" will probably be done by publishing an article in the Daily Sun stating that they are clamping down.
The article is supposed to scare people into behaving and following the rules.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:05 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
The "clamping down" will probably be done by publishing an article in the Daily Sun stating that they are clamping down.
The article is supposed to scare people into behaving and following the rules.
OH BOY!! I'm sure that will do the job.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 10-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Sage

There was a sign posted at the gate to the Sabal Chase pool saying no organized water activities were allowed. Sabal Chase has had informal water aerobics at about 9:30 am for the past 8 years. I did not see a similar sign at the Largo pool. So, it is more than just the Daily Sun article.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:59 PM
Veteran member

I'm glad something was finally written about this. I was also happy to see that there appears to be a more detailed explanation in the weekly activity guide about what is allowed in adult pools. While it may appear that nothing has been done, finally it's written down in both the paper and weekly activities section, and that means that if there's problem that is reported, it actually may be taken care of. Hope springs eternal!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:21 PM

I noticed a sign posted at Fernandina Pool
Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Sage

This is going to seem off-topic, but it really isn't. Our Three Rivers Club received notice that tickets to the club meetings may no longer be sold on any TV property. (They used to be sold at the rec centers as well as at club meetings.)

I'm wondering if the TV lawyers have looked over all this "stuff" and weighed in with their opinions.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:50 AM

Maybe, this would be a help. My husband said he hear, from the supervisor Matt at Eisenhower Sports pool that residents will be able as of April 2015 to reserve a time slot for 6 months at a time for volleyball for friends or clubs without renting the pool. Why not for other act ivies. So everyone can be happy, happy, happy.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolife View Post
Maybe, this would be a help. My husband said he hear, from the supervisor Matt at Eisenhower Sports pool that residents will be able as of April 2015 to reserve a time slot for 6 months at a time for volleyball for friends or clubs without renting the pool. Why not for other act ivies. So everyone can be happy, happy, happy.
That's good. That would be for sports pools only, leaving the other pools to be used as they were designed.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.