Alligators in the Villages, a question.

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Smile Alligators in the Villages, a question.

I've been living here in the Villages for about nine months, and in my wanderings about I've seen quite a few gators. Most have been sunning themselves alongside retention ponds associated with golf courses, but I've also seem some in other ponds. So my question is: what do these native creatures eat. Do they catch ducks or other water fowl that hang out in and around the ponds? Do the powers that be stock these ponds with fish that the gators can eat. I've noticed people fishing in ponds that are not on golf courses, but I've also seen some ponds further north than where I am which are almost dry and there don't seem to be any fish flopping about in the mud.
I've managed to hit quite a few golf balls into the water, but I don't think these have much nutritional value.
So what's the real answer, all you experts??
Old 03-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Platinum member
Default They Eat Anything That Moves or Smells

Gators eat fish, fowl, other gators....just about anything that moves or smells rancid. I've witnessed the first 2.

Some ponds have been stocked by the Freshwater Fishing Club. With very low to no water north of 466, fish stocking may take place once the retention ponds are replenished. Eventually fish stocking may also take place south of 466a. No retention ponds will be stocked with gators.

Pet owners need to keep pets away from all ponds. As for golfers....forget it - you can't tell them if their Pro VI landed in the drink to leave it alone? I didn't think so.

And it's against the law to feed gators.

Nuisance Gator Hot Line

1.866.FWC.GATOR
Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Veteran member

Last year I saw a gator take a Sandhill Crane in the pond on Turtle mound golf course. I imagine that they take some of the feral cats hunting around the ponds but I have never seen that happen.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Platinum member

We saw a gator consume a large turtle that was sitting on a sandbar in the retention pond behind our house.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the info.
As far as food and survival in general, I guess the gators are pretty much on their own. Retention ponds don't exactly seem like ideal habitat, though. Not much vegetation in the water or around the shores for cover or hiding out. It seems they travel from pond to pond, but I don't know if they do this over land or if they can go from place to place thru the drainage pipes.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Sage

Sometimes they eat golf carts....

Got this picture a couple of years ago....a 6 foot gator roaming around Bridgeport.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	gator at bridgeport 1.jpg
Views:	1217
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	2263  
Old 03-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Sage

They don't go overland. It is rare to see a gator on the streets. There have been instances of gators in yards, but these are rare as well. They much prefer an aquatic life.

Some people have been seen feeding gators, but that just encourages them to search for food out of the water. Not a good thing. And, once a gator is accustomed to leaving the water for food, it will be captured and killed. It is against the law to feed gators.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Talking Gators

I call them "Florida Lizards"
Old 03-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
I call them "Florida Lizards"
I call them dinner.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Sometimes they eat golf carts....
We give our pet gator Gassy Gator Tummy Chews when he gets an upset stomach from eating golf carts! The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24
Angry Gators are Wild Creatures!

Let them live in peace! Admire or look from a distance but leave them alone! Humans are quickly destroying their natural habitat...!!! The last thing you should do is offer up food... They loose their natural fear of humans and at that point it's only a matter of time until their death warrant is enacted. Wild creatures should be allowed a peaceful co-existance. Many of them were here long before we were! Let Them Be..!!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
They don't go overland. It is rare to see a gator on the streets. There have been instances of gators in yards, but these are rare as well. They much prefer an aquatic life.

Some people have been seen feeding gators, but that just encourages them to search for food out of the water. Not a good thing. And, once a gator is accustomed to leaving the water for food, it will be captured and killed. It is against the law to feed gators.
Last Saturday, a small (maybe 4 foot?) gator was caught and killed on my neighbor's front porch. We don't live anywhere near the water. It may be rare but it does happen.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:59 PM

So if when I am playing golf if I hit a ball near a pond I should not play it from there because of the gators????
Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog View Post
Last Saturday, a small (maybe 4 foot?) gator was caught and killed on my neighbor's front porch. We don't live anywhere near the water. It may be rare but it does happen.
Killed?. Why on earth? Seems someone from wildlife services could have relocated it out of harms way! People make me so mad killing every snake they see! Snakes do way more good than harm!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
Killed?. Why on earth? Seems someone from wildlife services could have relocated it out of harms way! People make me so mad killing every snake they see! Snakes do way more good than harm!

Sometimes I think folks live too much in fear and it stops them from enjoying the natural beauty around us.

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Fear is the darkroom where negatives are developed." There was a lot of truth on that little slip of paper.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.