Another Break In

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2014, 10:13 PM

Do these criminals ever get caught? Most strict law enforcement is necessary!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Regretfully. I tell you that villagers prefer to pretend than to face truth. Unifying against wickedness is therefore not possible.
I would attend a secret meeting if there were one.
You are 100% correct, Kitty. Regretfully, there is rampant apathy here in TV. I guess many residents think and have the "it will never happen to me" syndrome.

One of my next door neighbors is a snowbird. They are here for the winter and come and go during the warmer months. They have never mentioned to us when they are leaving or when they will be coming back. They are very foolish because we neighbors could be their watchdogs.

One of these days an intruder will make a believer out of them!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGirl View Post
Yes they do. A few months ago a lawn service guy saw someone breaking in a house and called the police. I believe the man who robbed and beat a lady in a parking lot was apprehended also. Unfortunately, I never heard what the outcome of sentencing was. Hope it was very long.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGirl View Post
The LEOs in this area have a very good track record with regard to solving this type of crime.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisnut View Post
There is nothing enabling about being down and out and having a helping hand. What a cold hearted comment.Not everyone is abusing the system.
I believe that you are being unfairly judgemental here. The comment that you objected to clearly referenced that the criminals were taking advantage of the system by living off of the taxpayer while they were imprisoned.

You are right that not everyone getting social assistance is a deadbeat. However, you can see how it makes perfect sense to say that these types of crimes are committed by people definitely "working" the system.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
You can't stop them.Nothing works.
Can you say Second Amendment to the Constitution.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There is something that residents do, and I would like to believe it is done out of ignorance.

Most of the houses have residents' name on the little sign in the front of their house. I'm not trying to scare anyone, but the fact of the matter is those who have their last name on the sign is really making it easy these thieves. They see your full name. They look you up in the phone book. They call your number. You aren't home. Ta-Da! Guess what?

The same is true of your phone number. The thieves pick a random phone number. Often the resident leaves their full name. Why? Just leave your phone number. Your friends know whom they're calling. Anyone else can leave a message, anyway. Same scenario. These bad guys have your name and phone number. They look you up in the phone book or get on the Internet and get your address from the tax rolls. Or -- they already have your name, address and phone number because they've looked you up in the phone book (yeah -- this is easier for them). Ta-Da! Guess what? Same thing as above.

TV residents have to smarten up. We all are a target. Don't put yourself in a position where you could be next.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
1. Solid metal doors in metal frame.
2. Pit Bull.
3. Obvious security cameras.
4. Outside alarm.
5. Never leave home with "early" trash out front.
6. Make sure newspapers do not accumulate on driveway.
7. Shoot just one burglar and the word will get around.
I want to keep glass in the door so my dog can see who she is barking about and i can see who I Am shooting.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:30 AM
Sage

///
Old 09-18-2014, 05:19 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Bonanza comments concerning seasonal reasons heads up is a good one. We all have neighbors who travel and in our situation we assist by doing spot checks on their homes.

As to the concern for having your name posted out front it can be problematic. On the positive side it makes friendly people more friendly. On the negative side well Bonanza spoke to that issue. a saving grace for many of us is that with caller ID we are able to ignore such calls. So the would be felon may get a false positive and a surprise when he/she comes to prowl
Old 09-18-2014, 06:21 AM
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
There is something that residents do, and I would like to believe it is done out of ignorance.

Most of the houses have residents' name on the little sign in the front of their house. I'm not trying to scare anyone, but the fact of the matter is those who have their last name on the sign is really making it easy these thieves. They see your full name. They look you up in the phone book. They call your number. You aren't home. Ta-Da! Guess what?

The same is true of your phone number. The thieves pick a random phone number. Often the resident leaves their full name. Why? Just leave your phone number. Your friends know whom they're calling. Anyone else can leave a message, anyway. Same scenario. These bad guys have your name and phone number. They look you up in the phone book or get on the Internet and get your address from the tax rolls. Or -- they already have your name, address and phone number because they've looked you up in the phone book (yeah -- this is easier for them). Ta-Da! Guess what? Same thing as above.

TV residents have to smarten up. We all are a target. Don't put yourself in a position where you could be next.

Good point. We now plan on replacing our sign with only our first names. We also looked at installing a "security" screen door. It would be hard for the perpetrators to kick in an all metal door. I think this will help as a great deterrent.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

Bonanza has a very good point. We have our first names on our sign only.

Please call the sheriff's office and have them send someone out to your home and tell you all of the ways that you can be safer. They offer this and encourage people to use their information. It is very helpful and there are many ways that are simple and very useful.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:59 AM

Do you have neighborhood watch programs? I used to live in a development where residents patrolled in golf carts and looked for suspicious activity. Had block captains etc.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

If you use a land line transfer it to your cell when you are not home.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:08 AM

How many Community Watch patrols are there at any given time?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.