Application Withdrawn!

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2015, 06:45 AM
Default Application Withdrawn!

Congratulations to The Villages Developer! The City of Wildwood's attempts to hold TV hostage for more, more, more...and yet more...failed! Hurray! When the powers-that-be in Wildwood wake up and smells the coffee, they'll realize the abject stupidity and short-sightedness of their own greed.

Unfortunately, the real losers in all of this will be the business owners - and ultimately the citizens - of Wildwood, not those who took such a foolish and arrogant stand.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:58 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

OP, Exactly, Wildwood (according to the Daily Sun) missed out on a great opportunity. If their Leaders think they can "bully" the Village Developer, they sure got fooled. Sooner or later this property will be developed---- it is valuable mainly because of The Villages.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:22 AM
Sage

Yes, Kudos to the developer.

Still probably a chance to get back to the negotiating table. You never know.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:22 AM

The mayor of Wildwood, in trying to dictate to The Villages and the Morse family, was involved in negotiations that were "way over his head". I believe the mayor's main fear was that he would lose his "job" in the city's next re-election... Well guess what?... He will... When Wildwood wakes up and realizes what they missed out on. The damage for them has already been done and IF AND WHEN they would want to re-open the negotiations with The Villages again ... it will never be at the same price or conditions originally offered to them.....IMHO....
Old 04-28-2015, 07:26 AM
Gold member

It's probably not greed so much as it is prejudice toward the potential voting bloc that wisely votes for fiscal solvency and against deficit spending that accumulates and cripples the economy.

Some other fly by night outfit will build there.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:28 AM

Agree w all above post. I also hope the Morse's still purchase the land.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:28 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,773 Times in 3,641 Posts

So was it just about trees and sidewalks??
Old 04-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
So was it just about trees and sidewalks??
personally I think it was the zip code issue.......it would be a wildwood zip and not a village zip code. potentially may cause a lower price point for the developers....when they attempt to sell the houses.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Platinum member

The residents of Wildwood become the real losers here....all thanks to the misguided leaders of their city.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Offering my condolences to the taxpayers and business owners of Wildwood; and my congratulations to the Developer! Sorry, too, for the Villagers whose homes abut the Wildwood tract - especially if the Mayor and Commissioners get what they think they want!

Old 04-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Amateurs VS Professionals....not intended to be a negative bash at all.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

As a villager that lives close to the proposed Wildwood development, I am somewhat glad that Wildwood has initially balked at the proposed development. IMHO, there are several issues that need to be addressed, as noted in the newspaper article, so now the 2 sides can sit down and discuss these. One of the biggest issues, I think, will be golf cart access, it appears that it will be very inconvenient for the proposed residents to get to Pinellas Plaza or Brownwood areas. The direct access between TV and Wildwood by golf cart would seem to be another sticking point. For example, most of the roads to the West of Powell and 462 do not appear to be suitable for golf carts, and even the newly redesigned 466a has a BYCYCLE lane, not a GOLF CART lane, so while the mayor wants access, it looks like this would just create a major safety issue.
Personally I lean more toward the mixed use concept, possibly with a strip mall of convenience shops (NO MORE BANKS), and some additional housing. These are already several facilities for the care of aging adults, so not sure if this would be needed at this location.
Since this appears to be a hot button, it would be interesting to see if the developer would have an open meeting with the TV community to get feedback from the residents regarding their concerns, and see if there is common ground between Wildwood, TV residents, and the developer.

These are just my humble opinion, please do not shoot the messenger.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:29 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Is it just me thinking .... I'm actually relieved there won't be 800 more houses on that corner. Does anyone other than myself think about our property values down the road and an overly developed community?
After the baby boomer generation is over, will there be a lot of our kids who have money to retire comfortably and afford a place like TV's? I'm not so sure about that. Just my thoughts ...
Old 04-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

Wildwood no thank you.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-28-2015, 08:39 AM
Gold member

The withdrawal of the application has affected me exactly as much as the submission of the application.

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.