Article in Buzzfeed about The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Sometimes I wonder why some people ONLY post negative things and why some people ONLY post positive things.

And when something negative about The Villages comes up, some people practically drool.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Sometimes I wonder why some people ONLY post negative things and why some people ONLY post positive things.

And when something negative about The Villages comes up, some people practically drool.
Many people do not share the joy of other people's good fortune. Many younger people do not like to see older people enjoying life and doing many of the things they wish they could do. Let's face it, starting your day with a newspaper and a cup of coffee, then going for a bike ride, maybe some pickle ball or attending a favorite club, then lunch, a swim in the pool, maybe some golf, dinner, maybe with friends and then a walk around the block, or a night of dancing at the squares, or a concert at the Savannah Center sounds too good to be true and many people get very resentful when you talk like this. I remember how much I ate in New England and how lethargic I was all winter. It even started going down hill in the fall. Limited physical activity even in the summer, as you couldn't walk on the country roads as cars would run you down. Life was not much fun and I felt old. No more! I moved to the Villages! I know a good deal when I see one!
Old 08-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Gracie, I hope you read the whole article. He really liked TV and it showed. Yes, he mentioned some of the negatives and some of the stereotypes but all in all, it was a very fair piece. Had I not lived here and read this piece, I would definitely want to visit.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McKeever View Post
I guess I'll never get lucky because I don't have an antenna on my golf cart!
Whoa, I don't have one either. What's with the loofah? Is there some sort of a dirty joke here that I'm missing?

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:13 PM

to NJBCHBUM

A little off topic, but I find your signature humorous,,,
"Why do I use valet parking?......Because the valet never forgets where they parked my car!"

Especially in Philly, when they park it in a towaway zone....
Old 08-29-2014, 07:55 PM

To all of the previous Bloggers. ...I agree....Walter Cronkite would really have a fit viewing what is put out there now...
"Breaking News" has been over used ......like "you saw it first,".....
Back to the drawing board...
Old 08-29-2014, 08:31 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
Whoa, I don't have one either. What's with the loofah? Is there some sort of a dirty joke here that I'm missing?
I guess I am confused also. I was always told that people put loofahs and tennis balls on their antennas so they could find their cars in the parking lot.

Z
Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I dunno, I found it to be pretty accurate and unbiased. The author liked TV enough to tell his parents to move here. He talked to all kinds of people, gave some cons but a lot pros. Sounds like he had a great time in his seven-day stay.
Me, too. I thought it was one of the better articles I've read about TV. His death-match pickle ball game made me laugh.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 PM

The whole article was kind of hilarious, The Villages is a community that represents over 100.000 residents. I have traveled most of the world and in any community that has that many people you can find what ever you are looking for the good, the bad, the ugly, they are all there. I have also been able to observe what is provided for the residents as well as what is expected "TAXES AND FEES" from the residents, my conclusion is that the 100,000 plus residents including myself get more bang for their buck from the "Developer" than the dictator of other less benevolent societies provides for their communities.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I guess I am confused also. I was always told that people put loofahs and tennis balls on their antennas so they could find their cars in the parking lot.

Z
So that's why everyone has their name on the golf cart. Easy to find or new signal for fun
Old 08-30-2014, 05:44 AM

I found it entertaining
But I found ten use of the F-bomb unnecessary
Debbie
Old 08-30-2014, 06:48 AM
Gold member

I was entertained by the article. Lots of untruths but some accuracy too.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I was entertained by the article. Lots of untruths but some accuracy too.
I agree with you Mike and Redwitch.

I am wondering what his hosts, the Ozbolts, feel about his portrayal of them. I wonder if they post on here?

The only thing that I thought was waaaaay out there was his section on the sexual behavior of villagers and his resource was a server???????

I think I recognized some people that I know from this forum that might be seen in a different light by someone who didn't know them well or care about them.

It makes me feel a LITTLE TINY bit defensive and spied upon because as anyone who knows me at all, knows I love this place.
I know this; a lot of savvy, spicy, warm, funny, caring, and full of life people chose this place to live out their retirement years and I am glad to be here with them.

I had to look up Buzzfeed.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-30-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

How can anyone comment about the sexual behavior in the villages unless your around late at night and actually observe or talk to the late night crowd. I wish some of the posters who are think nothing other than the norm goes on would of gone to the waterfront hotel on thursday nights when petrina was there. It was very entertaining to say the least, everyone just having a good time and not shy about it.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:09 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Actions say more than words. He wrote that he called his parents and encouraged them to sell their home up north and move down to The Villages. That says a lot about his true feelings about The Villages.

Of course, his publisher wanted to see some exciting revelations about the personal lives of some of the more out-there folks to get and hold reader interest. That is the name of the journalism game.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.