Attorney for Small Claims Court

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2017, 11:52 AM
Default Attorney for Small Claims Court

Can anyone recommend a reputable and fair priced attorney who would be willing to take a small claims case to court? Very little work involved, my court date is Feb28th. I am going against another attorney and would feel better having legal representation.
Thanking you in advance,
Ron Rufrano
Old 01-14-2017, 01:47 PM

you don't need an attorney for small claims court. I understand how you feel, because he's an Attorney you feel you need one, but it's not suppose to be like that. We went to SCC against a corporation and Corporations have to be represented by an attorney We did ok. Just state the facts, write things before you go so you don't get rattled, take notes and keep your cool. I've done it 3 times
Old 01-14-2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran member
Default Small claims court

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobles View Post
you don't need an attorney for small claims court. I understand how you feel, because he's an Attorney you feel you need one, but it's not suppose to be like that. We went to SCC against a corporation and Corporations have to be represented by an attorney We did ok. Just state the facts, write things before you go so you don't get rattled, take notes and keep your cool. I've done it 3 times
In some courts, in the WEST you cannot use an attorney but not sure of here. But, as has been said here, just get your notes organized, short and clear and you will have a chance to describe your scene, KEEP it short.

Good luck bbbbbb
Old 01-14-2017, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufrano View Post
Can anyone recommend a reputable and fair priced attorney who would be willing to take a small claims case to court? Very little work involved, my court date is Feb28th. I am going against another attorney and would feel better having legal representation.
Thanking you in advance,
Ron Rufrano
If it's a simple case, you have ALL the documentation you need and can concisely explain the issue...you may be better off without one.

After all, most decent people (even judges) tend to root for the underdog and having an attorney on the other side...can be an advantage for you.

If it's anything to do with contract interpretation, or of a technical legal issue...getting your own may be better.

I have been to SCC 4 times in my life and the only time I was ruled against, was when my interpretation of what I thought was a clearly worded contract...was actually legally incorrect.

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:18 PM
Veteran member

You can give your attorney the “power of attorney” allowing him/her the power to represent you. If you do that I would suggest you not show up. If you are there I’m not sure the judge will allow the attorney to speak. A day of the attorney’s time, $3-5k. I’m not an attorney, nor do I play one on television. The above is a non-legal education guess on my part. We have attorneys here on TOTV maybe they can chime in.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the encouragement and kindness, appreciate it.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:55 AM

Thanks for your interest and support.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,005 Times in 2,199 Posts

One other option, have you contact Seniors against crime (associated with the attorney general), they have been very successful for many seniors? There are 4 offices in TV, the Daily Sun has times and phone numbers.
Also, depending on your claim, you could do what contractors do and file a mechanics lien against the offended party (business or home).
Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I was sued in SCC one time, it was in the 70's in Pensacola. We had been invited to dinner by the parents of one my son's playmates. After dinner the guy brings out a chalk board and begins to give me a course of selling Amway. I didn't want to be rude, so I let it go on for about 30 minutes with him showing me all the products.

It seemed like we weren't going to be able to get out of there without buying something. Finally I said, that's nice, what do you want me to do. He wanted me to sell his products, he said you have many people where you work and this stuff sells itself. He said here is the starter box, it's $77. Take it home, don't pay me now, and use the products yourself and and show all your friends and start writing orders. It's guaranteed or your money back.

I took it home just to get out of there. I tried the best cleaner he had, their #1 product. It wouldn't clean stuff that 409 cleaned. I called him to say I want to bring it back. There was no answer, so I left a message, drove over to his house and put the box of products on his front porch. Only the one item had been used and very little and he said it was a money back guarantee.

About a month later I got a letter that I was being sued in small claims court for $77. I showed up and told the judge just what I wrote here. The guy brought in a box of products that were old and rusty and used up and said, this is what he left on my porch. I said judge, that is not what I left on his porch, the judge said do you have any photos or witnesses, I said no, he said pay the $77.

The end result was 2 years later when I went to sell my house, there was a cloud on my title for this suit. I had to get a letter of satisfaction signed by the plaintiff, this guy, and file it with the court. It's a reall hassle to get sued no matter what size court.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I was sued in SCC one time, it was in the 70's in Pensacola. We had been invited to dinner by the parents of one my son's playmates. After dinner the guy brings out a chalk board and begins to give me a course of selling Amway. I didn't want to be rude, so I let it go on for about 30 minutes with him showing me all the products.

It seemed like we weren't going to be able to get out of there without buying something. Finally I said, that's nice, what do you want me to do. He wanted me to sell his products, he said you have many people where you work and this stuff sells itself. He said here is the starter box, it's $77. Take it home, don't pay me now, and use the products yourself and and show all your friends and start writing orders. It's guaranteed or your money back.

I took it home just to get out of there. I tried the best cleaner he had, their #1 product. It wouldn't clean stuff that 409 cleaned. I called him to say I want to bring it back. There was no answer, so I left a message, drove over to his house and put the box of products on his front porch. Only the one item had been used and very little and he said it was a money back guarantee.

About a month later I got a letter that I was being sued in small claims court for $77. I showed up and told the judge just what I wrote here. The guy brought in a box of products that were old and rusty and used up and said, this is what he left on my porch. I said judge, that is not what I left on his porch, the judge said do you have any photos or witnesses, I said no, he said pay the $77.

The end result was 2 years later when I went to sell my house, there was a cloud on my title for this suit. I had to get a letter of satisfaction signed by the plaintiff, this guy, and file it with the court. It's a reall hassle to get sued no matter what size court.
Take pictures of stuff with a newspaper with a date clearly visible or some other kind of reliable time stamp.

I have a dear friend who was going to do small claims court but do not know what happened with that. She might have chickened out. It can be daunting.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 AM

Do not use an attorney unless necessary. Take an outline of your presentation. Be short and to the point. You will not have much time, maybe 5 or 10 minutes. It is not like on TV. Take: documentation, receipts, photos and an eye witness if you have one, emphasize eye witness and not second hand hear say. Do not get emotional. Expect the other guy to lie through their teeth or to at least bend the truth. Get there early and watch other cases being handled. Don't worry. SCC is set up for the little guy like us.
Closed Thread

Tags
attorney, court, small, claims, feel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.