Bad News for Villages Health Care

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
UHC does not offer an Obamacare product in Sumter county, so the poster must be referring to his cost in his home state.
I live in The Villages - Lake County. There is no subsidy for married couples with a projected income in the Florida exchange (= federal) with a projected income above $63719 for 2016. I guess the message is $63K makes you so rich you can afford to spend 49.9% of your income on health expenses (premiums + max deductible). I am enrolled in The Villages Health system and very much like it. As a pre Medicare patent I am allowed many different health plan carriers except for Humana and Aetna - not accepted by The Villages Health Care for pre Medicare patents. Do not confuse any of this with Medicare eligible patents requirements for The Villages Health Care. That is a different ball game.

To further complicate the issue I am a snowbird. My primary residence is here in FL and was told for 2016 there are no plans that cover me in both homes since my other home in New York is in a state exchange not a federal exchange like Florida. The subsidy income in New York is much different than Florida. For those that know what these plans mean the UHC plan I selected is a PPO - that's supposed to be the most portable of all types of plans. Not any more. The New York exchange has no PPOs offered. That exchange has EPOs. FYI the plans in New York are about 30% less than the plans here in Lake County Fl. I was told 30 days prior to me leaving FL for NYS I should call UHC and cancel my plan - rational here is your premiums are paid for 30 days in advance. Call my health care advocate and select a whole new plan with any carrier in NYS. Then do this again when returning to FL.

Folks I was fortunate to have retired early - almost 10 years now. Medicare is a little more than a year away. So far I have spent over $200,000 since retirement for health care. Do I think health care is broken - yes. And long before Affordable Health Care Act. But I have not seen a benefit to it either. Of interest I had a CT scan a few years ago in Utica NY that was $6700 and few months latter had one here in The Villages for $900. Had I known I could have flown down had the CT scan and pocketed a bunch of money - where in the transparency in this system?

I have many experiences I could share after 10 years in this doom loop. BUT do you know who to contact that is an expert. My health care advocate through RightOpt / Get Insured told me that was them.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:57 PM

I'm guessing that some folks are heavily subsidized.
A silver PPO plan costs $1860 premium a month. Affordable Healthcare it is not!
It certainly is Obamacare. Thanks for nothing Obama.

Last edited by fishon; 11-21-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:59 PM

Our system was broken long before Obama walked in the door. However, it didn't get any better in recent years either (in FL or NY).
Old 11-21-2015, 01:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon View Post
I'm guessing that some folks are heavily subsidized.
A silver PPO plan costs $1860 premium a month. Affordable Healthcare it is not!
It certainly is Obamacare. Thanks for nothing Obama.
Prior to the ACA there were very few options available to those needing to purchase their own policy if they weren't on an employers plan, medicare or medicaid. Now we have the option to purchase a variety of plans with or without a subsidy. The president didn't create the mess we're in, he didn't make it worse nor should he be blamed for it getting worse. He should be commended for pushing forward an idea that Teddy Roosevelt pioneered. Don't kill the messenger.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

As an early retiree I had to get insurance on my own with no ACA option to look at. So when I hear people lamenting about Obamacare's premiums rising I remember the ten percent yearly increases I got before it's existence. I had a set aside healthcare premium amount to get me to Medicare. I blew through that quicker than expected.

My BSBS Florida supplemental plan F is going up $7.00 a month in 2016. Life is getting better.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I get my health insurance through the exchange. I am retired pre Medicare. I have selected UHC's bronze HSA 100 plan for 2016. This is the cheapest United Health Care offering to me. It has a $13000 deductible ($6500/individual). The premium is $1569.71/month for me and my spouse. That's right - that's $18837/year plus whatever we use for deductible. Hard to believe UHC can't make money. It typically cost my household > $25000/year for health expenses. Not often do I wish to be older but I get a huge raise come Medicare time.
I am also in same situation as you. We have our coverage through Florida Blue with $1300. monthly premium and $3600. individual deductable for 2016. This plan was not in exchange this time so I think there is some slight of hand going on. I looked at UHC on the exchange and couldn't touch it compared to my present coverage. Hopefully Medicare is still around in 2 years.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Prior to the ACA there were very few options available to those needing to purchase their own policy if they weren't on an employers plan, medicare or medicaid. Now we have the option to purchase a variety of plans with or without a subsidy. The president didn't create the mess we're in, he didn't make it worse nor should he be blamed for it getting worse. He should be commended for pushing forward an idea that Teddy Roosevelt pioneered. Don't kill the messenger.
I am not a fan of this President but you are correct. The problem was and still is our for profit medical system. If you are covered by past employer or by government it is a pretty good system but those of us paying out of pocket and those who cannot afford to pay not so much. What I would fault the President for is not going after the cost piece.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
I am not a fan of this President but you are correct. The problem was and still is our for profit medical system. If you are covered by past employer or by government it is a pretty good system but those of us paying out of pocket and those who cannot afford to pay not so much. What I would fault the President for is not going after the cost piece.
I would suspect the ACA in its present form will not outlast the next administration. I'll be on medicare by then but hopefully there will be political will to pass a national health care bill similar to medicare with the weight of 350 million souls to fund and benefit from it.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthefisherman View Post
Agreed.
Can anyone help this guy with some informed info? Someone is gouging these people.
These are the exact quotes that United Health Care gave me. For a single policy the monthly rate was $845 with a $6700 deductible. I ended up going with Florida Blue with a monthly rate of $650. This is very painful for me because I had free health care when I lived in New York. I was told it would cost $1200 a month to duplicate that policy here.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11-21-2015, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Times, they are a changing...

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-21-2015, 08:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default health care

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems.
The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems

We are the only industrialized country without national health insurance. I guess we know better.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default health care

Click on the second "The World Health Organization's ranking
of the world's health systems" to go to th site.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Wow, just wow!
Old 11-21-2015, 11:02 PM
Gold member

"If you like the doctor/insurance you have you will be able to keep it and most families will save about $2500/year on their medical insurance." Was it all a dream?
Old 11-21-2015, 11:09 PM
Gold member

Now for a bit or irony, someone is now saying it is everyone's right to have "free" health care and as sure as his initials are BS you can take that to the bank cause he's gonna give it to us.
Closed Thread

Tags
health, care, medicare, insurance, villages, plans, united, news, year, system, bode, accept, action, announced, thrown, bus, situation, comments, talk, covered, patients, medical, hmo/ppo, advantage, companies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.