Best way to store a vehicle in garage

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2014, 07:28 PM
Default Best way to store a vehicle in garage

I am a snow bird and will be storing my vehicle in the garage during the summer months. What is the best way to store a vehicle in the garage given the temperatures and humidity. Also, should I keep my windows up or down? I am concerned bugs (or small animals) will get into the vehicle if I leave the windows down.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

A lot of information is available with a Google search.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:53 PM

Last summer I left my vehicle in the garage for three months. I put gas stabilizer in the tank and utilized a battery tender. The battery tender is very important because of all the electronics in a newer vehicle slowly will discharge the battery. One can be purchased either at Walmart or on Amazon. If you don't want to hook it up to the battery you can get an optional jack that can be plugged into the auxiliary plug in the car. I left my windows closed and had no issue.

I'm sure there are other things that you can do but that is all that I did to my car.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Sage
Default Best way to store a vehicle in garage

probably not sideways
Old 10-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Veteran member

Sa-Bil or other gas additive, drive the car for a couple of miles to mix the stabilizer, battery tender, check the tires and inflate to correct pressure and you are good to go.

I have an older Corvette and do the same, except I fill the gas tank to almost full to prevent moisture or condensation forming inside the tank. My car hibernates in Connecticut where the temps are much colder. Been doing this procedure for 12 years and no issues.

If the car would be stored for a longer term, like a year or more, then I would remove the spark plugs and spray a product called Engine Store (lightweight oil) into the cylinders to prevent rust, but in your case, not necessary.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:02 AM

You can also put a few dryer sheets on the floor. Helps keep rodents out and makes the car smell less musty.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:35 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Shrink wrap it to be extra sure !
Old 10-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You definitely want to keep your windows closed. The last thing you want is when you come back and are driving, that a lizard suddenly appears.

I speak from experience. I happen to like lizards but when this happened to me while driving, it scared the sh*t out of me and I almost lost control.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:20 PM
Sage

Stabilizer is not needed for cars with a sealed fuel system. Best thing you can do is to jack the car so that all 4 wheels are off the ground. Remove the battery or disconnect the ground wire, then hook up a smart regulated charger.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:59 PM

One benefit of paying someone to do house watch like I do is that my guy takes the car out for a spin once a week.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:07 AM
Veteran member

We have been snowbirds for 5 years. We leave for 4 months in the summer. All we do is disconnect the battery. We have never had a problem.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.