Bet you already knew this..

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Bet you already knew this..

We were at the Brownwood sales office and happened upon a little shop inside that is selling the licensed The Villages logoed clothing.

I knew when the inexpensive shirts that said The Villages disappeared from Bealls Outlet stores and the local drug stores that something was afoot. It appears that The Villages has rightly claimed their licensing right to their name.

Of course licensed products are more expensive usually, but they did have golf shirts for $24. Not bad.

No. I don't work for the developer.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Sage

Gracie : I am not educated as a lawyer however I have had quite a bit of experience with issues related to logos , trade- styles / trademarks , and the like .
It has been my experience that if a legal entity does not " defend " / "enforce" it`s rights to sole use of it`s various trade-marks , slogans et al after a while it will lose legal claim to exclusivness .
I believe that these rights and requirements to enforce the sole rights to unique trade-styles come under the heading of what is known as " The Uniform Commercial Code ".
But then again what do I know ? There are no doubt many more experts on this site than me .

Last edited by Buffalo Jim; 12-18-2014 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 12-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Email Reported As Spam

You name it and the Villages of Lake-Sumter, Inc. will cut you off at the knees if they feel you are competing for some of what they view is their business which frankly is about everything. Uniform Code aside I have had conversation with some business people outside The Villages and VKSI is very aggressive.

I am not one for logo so this issue isn't a concern but one has to ask how much of a free market exists in The Villages?

I opinion others can decide but please keep it businesslike
Old 12-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
You name it and the Villages of Lake-Sumter, Inc. will cut you off at the knees if they feel you are competing for some of what they view is their business which frankly is about everything. Uniform Code aside I have had conversation with some business people outside The Villages and VKSI is very aggressive.
If you want to hear that elaborated upon just talk to the owner of a business located within TV that is close to competing with any business owned or operated by TV or the family.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

I am not one for logo so this issue isn't a concern but one has to ask how much of a free market exists in The Villages?

I opinion others can decide but please keep it businesslike
I have represented apparel lines with licensing when I was an apparel rep and that right is protected under the guns and alcohol folks if I remember correctly.(Think bootlegging) I am pretty sure Rubicon, if you were one of the developer's clan you would be protecting that right by claiming it. Business is business.

Until the feds say it is an old Indian name, disrespectful, and can't be used.

AND for those who have acidly commented before on my vocations.... I was a teacher, until college age kids appeared and then I switched to business.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have represented apparel lines with licensing when I was an apparel rep and that right is protected under the guns and alcohol folks if I remember correctly.(Think bootlegging) I am pretty sure Rubicon, if you were one of the developer's clan you would be protecting that right by claiming it. Business is business.

Until the feds say it is an old Indian name, disrespectful, and can't be used.

AND for those who have acidly commented before on my vocations.... I was a teacher, until college age kids appeared and then I switched to business.
YOU tell 'em Gracie
Old 12-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Sage
Default Bet you already knew this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
?..if you were one of the developer's clan you would be protecting that right by claiming it. Business is business...
Yep.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Eternal Member

If it's my place, my name, no one else better be selling stuff with those names and profiting off of me. Go start your our place or business.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Veteran member

I am a trademark lawyer.

The Villages has the word mark THE VILLAGES and THE VILLAGES (Stylized logo) registered as trademarks for numerous goods and services.

If they did not protect the marks against unlicensed uses they would lose the marks. They are only doing what the law requires them to do to protect their marks.

They could choose to allow the uses, under a written license, but are under no obligation to do so. The marks are theirs to exploit as they feel best.

It appears that they want to control the outlets selling logo merchandise and they are fully within their rights.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:34 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I got a certified letter from McLin Burnsid (The Villages law firm) about my use of the name The Villages AV, The Villages Audio Video and
TheVillagesAV.com.

Long story short I rebranded my company to VillagesAV.com, Villages Audio Video, Villages Home Theater and VillagesHomeTheater.com.

If you operate a business with The Villages in the name, best to stay under the radar. It's not if but when will you get the letter...

Call or txt anytime @ (352) 388-1677

Tom@VillagerAV.com
Old 12-18-2014, 04:45 PM
Gold member

Thanks for telling us about that little shop Gracie. I was wondering what happened to those shirts at Walgreen, etc... Does this affect Banner Mercantile in any way?
Old 12-18-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
Thanks for telling us about that little shop Gracie. I was wondering what happened to those shirts at Walgreen, etc... Does this affect Banner Mercantile in any way?
I believe this all the same Villages-themed merch they sold at Banner Mercantile, just in a small location within the sales office.

I highly doubt this has anything to do with Beals or Walgreens.

Heck, the Walmart on 466 has a ton of "The Villages" shirts and sweatshirts for sale in the mens section as we type.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:16 AM

Gracie sure can put it out there for stimulating thought and convo.
Hi Gracie! How is everyone? Happiest of Happy Holidays to you and yours......
As always,
PEACE for now and always.
Roni
Old 12-19-2014, 07:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsroni View Post
Gracie sure can put it out there for stimulating thought and convo.
Hi Gracie! How is everyone? Happiest of Happy Holidays to you and yours......
As always,
PEACE for now and always.
Roni

Roni...Happiness to you always, today and everyday and every good wish for a wonderful girl.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
I believe this all the same Villages-themed merch they sold at Banner Mercantile, just in a small location within the sales office.

I highly doubt this has anything to do with Beals or Walgreens.

Heck, the Walmart on 466 has a ton of "The Villages" shirts and sweatshirts for sale in the mens section as we type.

I think I may be wrong and you are right, because last night Sweetie said the same thing. But I haven't seen any that said The Villages lately in other retail stores.

I don't mind if they claim their right to their name. They earned it. But everyone knows I am a huge fan of The Morse Family. If you don't give away business, you make money that you can use for anything, including kind, quiet, good works. And contributions to the political party of your choice...and other things.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.