Bet you already knew this..

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2014, 09:03 AM

I am confused. "The Villages" is a place name, like Orlando, Miami, New York, etc. Surely someone cannot own the name. When I lived in Fairfax many businesses had Fairfax as part of their name. As I am sure Orlando companies do as well. I can see where they own the logo, but the name?
Old 12-19-2014, 09:51 AM

It is the same as stealing...they are stealing someone's hard work and reputation. There are many ads on this site with "The Villages" as THEIR name. I am looking at one now..."The Villages Computer Repair. This site should not allow these businesses to advertise.

Gary Morse named HIS development, and it is not the same as Orlando, New York, or Fairfax.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Veteran member

THE VILLAGES(R) is not a formal city/town/whatever designation. It is a privately developed community, just like SUN CITY(R) or LEVITTOWN(R).
Here is just one of the many trademark registrations:

Mark Image
Word Mark THE VILLAGES
Goods and Services IC 036. US 100 101 102. G & S: Banking services; Insurance administration in the field of life, health, fire, casualty and property insurance; Insurance brokerage in the field of life, health, fire, casualty and property insurance; Insurance consulting in the field of life, health, fire, casualty and property insurance; Real estate brokerage; Real estate investment services; Real estate management of retirement communities; Residential real estate agency services. FIRST USE: 19920701. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19920701
IC 037. US 100 103 106. G & S: Building construction services; Real estate development services in the field of retirement communities. FIRST USE: 19920701. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19920701

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, the provision of continuing programs featuring general news and retirement living delivered by television; Golf club services; Golf courses; Movie theaters; Organizing sporting events, namely, polo, golf and bowling; Polo club services; Providing bowling alleys. FIRST USE: 19920701. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19920701

Mark Drawing Code (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM
Serial Number 85779473
Filing Date November 14, 2012
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition November 5, 2013
Registration Number 4468815
Registration Date January 21, 2014
Owner (REGISTRANT) Holding Company of the Villages, Inc. CORPORATION FLORIDA 1020 Lake Sumter Landing The Villages FLORIDA 32162
Attorney of Record Lori T. Milvain
Prior Registrations 2339401;2614700;3915348
Description of Mark Color is not claimed as a feature of the mark. The mark consists of the words "THE VILLAGES" in a stylized font.
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL-2(F)
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Old 12-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

Their stuff tends to be expensive but if you hit them right they have great sales. Nov 1st we went in on a whim and and they had all of their breast cancer awareness clothing on sale for 75 % off. We made out like bandits. I got four golf shirts for 8 bucks a piece. Yeah they are pink but at least they aren't sissy colors like orange and blue (Go Noles). My wife got a beautiful sweater for 20 dollars. All of their Halloween merchandise was deeply discounted also.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:53 AM

Trade mark story; I was working as a New kindergarten teacher preparing a bulletin board in my classroom. I had copied several characters from the Disney cartoons,painstakingly drawing and coloring in their features. The display looked fantastic with the students work highlighted. On parents night ,one of the parents told me I should remove the Disney characters because of copyright infringements . He worked at American Greetings legal offices that follow up on infringement cases.
The Care Bears characters had just come out and many teachers had been copying characters from that collection. He shared his knowledge of the legalities involved . I was most grateful to know as the fines etc were very harsh for this new teacher.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Sweeny View Post
Trade mark story; I was working as a New kindergarten teacher preparing a bulletin board in my classroom. I had copied several characters from the Disney cartoons,painstakingly drawing and coloring in their features. The display looked fantastic with the students work highlighted. On parents night ,one of the parents told me I should remove the Disney characters because of copyright infringements . He worked at American Greetings legal offices that follow up on infringement cases.
The Care Bears characters had just come out and many teachers had been copying characters from that collection. He shared his knowledge of the legalities involved . I was most grateful to know as the fines etc were very harsh for this new teacher.
They are not looking at teachers, parents, etc. for infringing on their copy rights. They want the people who are exposing it for attention to make money off of them or showing their products publicly, especially in a negative way. Also for people who out and out steal their logos, etc.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Veteran member

Disney is probably the most aggressive defender of its trademarks and copyrights.

Every so often you will hear a story of how Disney made a day care center repaint its walls that were painted with Disney characters.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:20 PM
Veteran member

My Grandpappy used to say "your trademark/patent is only as good as the amount of money you have to defend it." Just ask Apple, Sony, Mattel Toys, Sears Craftsman, Disney, Parker Bros. Games, Pepsi, etc. And they rightfully do.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

The average cost for each side to litigate a patent infringement case today is $4 million. That is why almost 98% of patent litigation is settled before trial.

Trademark cases are less expensive, but can run up to $1 million a side.

The only thing more expensive than intellectual property litigation is antitrust litigation.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Bingo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
If it's my place, my name, no one else better be selling stuff with those names and profiting off of me. Go start your own place or business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcdonald View Post
I am a trademark lawyer.

The Villages has the word mark THE VILLAGES and THE VILLAGES (Stylized logo) registered as trademarks for numerous goods and services.

If they did not protect the marks against unlicensed uses they would lose the marks. They are only doing what the law requires them to do to protect their marks.

They could choose to allow the uses, under a written license, but are under no obligation to do so. The marks are theirs to exploit as they feel best.

It appears that they want to control the outlets selling logo merchandise and they are fully within their rights.
Bingo!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.