Beware Mail Scam

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Default Beware Mail Scam

I just received a 2-page letter from Mary Evans at CCD Research, LLC. She offered a "FREE Android Table Computer" in exchange for my answering a survey via a call to (888) 896-8173. After searching the internet, I determined this is a scam.

There are a number of complaints with this company. Here is what one person wrote: "If you call that number, you will get dead air and then a disconnect. BUT they now have your phone number via Caller ID, and they know it's a valid number because a human being (you) used it to call them. That then is a premium phone number that they can sell to telemarketing companies!"
Old 06-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Sage

Thanks for the heads-up on that scam. Always good to know what the no-goodniks are up to.

I got a piece of mail this week that is a good scam. The letterhead says it is from US Airlines and that I have won 2 plane tickets anywhere in the USA as well as 2 cruise tickets. It says they have tried to contact me unsuccessfully several times so this was my last chance.

Well, to start out with - there is no company called US Airlines. This is some sort of a bogus travel club.

Just be careful of what you reply to. There is no such thing as a free lunch - even though lots of Villagers will take the free meal and sit through a presentation - and some do get scammed!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:31 PM

CCD Research's offer of a "free Android Tablet" does come with a few strings attached. The "gift" is an incentive to get you to attend their sales presentation for a Global Vacation Network, a travel club. The Holly Hill addresses being used by CCD are residential and neither the county or the City of Holly Hill have any record of CCD Research, LLC.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I received a statement indicating renewal of one of the newspapers I read. My wife hit the ceiling when she saw the cost and asked if I really wanted to continue this paper. I smelled a rat, called the newspaper..... and my wife is once again happy with me.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I got the same Us Airlines travel letter. Not exactly a scam, but they do want you to sit through a presentation for their "wholesale travel" services. The best way to pay them back is to make an appointment with them and never show up. Better yet ask if you can bring two friends and never show up.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Veteran member
Default Block Calling Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranDianne View Post
I just received a 2-page letter from Mary Evans at CCD Research, LLC. She offered a "FREE Android Table Computer" in exchange for my answering a survey via a call to (888) 896-8173. After searching the internet, I determined this is a scam.

There are a number of complaints with this company. Here is what one person wrote: "If you call that number, you will get dead air and then a disconnect. BUT they now have your phone number via Caller ID, and they know it's a valid number because a human being (you) used it to call them. That then is a premium phone number that they can sell to telemarketing companies!"
Dial *67 before you dial to block your number from being delivered on their caller ID if you have service with a regular carrier or you can use a prepaid card to make the call which will not show your number as the calling number.

May not work with Magic Jack and similar VOIP services.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 AM

I got this letter today-- Thanks for the heads -up
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.