Black bear in Bridgeport at Laurel Valley

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2017, 02:51 PM
Default Black bear in Bridgeport at Laurel Valley

This Sat (3A on 25 Feb) my son (spending one night at our house in Laurel Valley) was awakened by noises outside his window. The motion light out back was also on. He went outside the screened veranda and saw a large black mound halfway into our bushes. What at first appeared to be a black "mound" was what turned into a bear that stood up to about 4ft that he was facing only a few feet away. The bear had torn out two black downspout extensions and chewed them at both ends... also pulled out a black hose from the reel hidden behind the bushes and chewed into that too. The bear bounded off when he met my son... in the direction of the center of our neighborhood and away from Arnold Palmer Golf course which our house backs to. What was funny was that at the time my son encountered the bear there was also a raccoon and red fox not far behind the bear as well. Some of our neighbors have come over to take a look at the huge teeth marks in the black plastic pipes.... they think the bear was looking for critters in them. What I am wondering is where he came from????
Old 02-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Platinum member

Black bears are common all over Florida. They are typically shy and do not want to be around humans. If you encounter one, make a lot of noise and it will run away. Never feed them!
Old 02-26-2017, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Not news I wanted to hear. Helene will NEVER let the kitties out on the lanai again. (We never do at night)
Old 02-26-2017, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IADCathy View Post
This Sat (3A on 25 Feb) my son (spending one night at our house in Laurel Valley) was awakened by noises outside his window. The motion light out back was also on. He went outside the screened veranda and saw a large black mound halfway into our bushes. What at first appeared to be a black "mound" was what turned into a bear that stood up to about 4ft that he was facing only a few feet away. The bear had torn out two black downspout extensions and chewed them at both ends... also pulled out a black hose from the reel hidden behind the bushes and chewed into that too. The bear bounded off when he met my son... in the direction of the center of our neighborhood and away from Arnold Palmer Golf course which our house backs to. What was funny was that at the time my son encountered the bear there was also a raccoon and red fox not far behind the bear as well. Some of our neighbors have come over to take a look at the huge teeth marks in the black plastic pipes.... they think the bear was looking for critters in them. What I am wondering is where he came from????
Don't worry, it was just GG hunting down someone who criticized the developers
Old 02-26-2017, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Don't worry, it was just GG hunting down someone who criticized the developers
I hardly ever bite drain pipes.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
HARDLY ever????? Do we need a forensic odontologist?????
Old 02-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Thank goodness for that. I was becoming concerned!
Old 02-26-2017, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Probably had a date with a cougar in Spanish Springs and it didn't work out
Old 02-26-2017, 10:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

A Bear? Remember the days before I got here when you all patiently counseled me on this that and the other thing. Those were exciting times. GE counseled me on snakes, dbussone on gators, Barefoot on Veterinary care and the Florida conditions for our old boy Barney the Boxer, Mrs. Gracie on Real Estate matters and keeping me from being out of line with a realtor that I was struggling with. Taltarzac treated me like a brother also. Just fantastic people. Never did any of them mention that we were moving into a Minature Jurassic Park. There are animals here that I have never seen before, being a city boy the most we ever saw was a squirrel or a deer. It was like I was from The Fresh Air Fund when we got here. I have come a long way towards becoming a Floridian. We respect all wildlife and give them their space. Turtles, Frogs, Snakes, and especially those three beautiful tall birds that walk like they own the place and those little Gecko's. A pretty cool place. Looking in the rearview mirror I worried a whole lot for nothing. The Bears are a whole other thing. It must have not been garbage day because that Bear would not be playing with the downspout. We are living in their area, this was their home first.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

My guess is that any bears here would seek out and stay on that large tree covered island, in the middle of the huge wetland that abuts Laurel Valley holes #1/#8/#9 and holes #1/#2/#3 on Riley Grove at Palmer.

Lending credence to my guess though, is the black bear reported in the Village of Winifred a few years ago...which is also close to said large wetland.

I noticed the other day that there is very little water in it right now and that might explain...why a bear might decide to roam off of the island.

Just my guess though.
Closed Thread

Tags
bear, black, son, bushes, mound

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.