36volt vs. 48 volt

Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Default 36volt vs. 48 volt

Can someone tell me the difference between a 36 volt and a 48 volt electric golf cart. I assume the 48 volt has more power but does a 36 volt cart also reach 19mph speeds? How much longer can a 48 volt ride on a charge compared to the 36 volt?

Also, for a 48 volt is it more advantageous to get 6 - 8 volt batteries or 8- 6 volt batteries?

This is very confusing to me.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Banned
Default Re: 36volt vs. 48 volt

Don't confuse voltage with power. As an example, that hairdrier or electric razor in your bathroom runs on 110 volts in the US and Canada, but the same unit (with a flip of a switch) often can run in Europe and Asia on 220 volts there. It uses the same amount of "power" regardless of the voltage and doesn't run any faster, better or stronger.

I copied this from an engineer's description comparing electrical terms: Voltage pushes electric charges through wires, and also through an electrical resistance, which heats up the resistive object. The flow of the charges is measured in amperes, the flow of electrical energy into the resistive object and the heat output is measured in watts, and the resistance is measured in ohms. Amperes and Watts are two different kinds of flow, yet both happen in circuits.

Bottom line: comparing voltages is sort of like comparing gasolines - is premium gas "better" than regular gas? And the answer is - depends on what the engine of the car was designed to run on. So, if sales folk try to say 48-volts are "better" than 36-volts, they are counting on the fact that you may have no idea on how electicity does what it does....

Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Ahh, The Old 36volt vs. 48 volt Argument

I think the only electric golf car that uses a 36-volt system is E-Z-Go. I own two E-Z-Go carts and have found no disadvantage in range as the result of their chosen power source. My carts both attain the maximum legal speed of a little less than 20 mph. And both carts have a range of about 40 miles.

Among those manufacturers using a 48-volt system, only Par Car claims that it results in a longer range--60 miles, as recall. Some of the competitors challenge that, but that debate is for another day, I think.

I would suggest that the following be considered when choosing between the two power sources...
  • E-Z-Go is the largest golf cart manufacturer in the U.S. by a good margin. If there was a particular advantage to changing from a 36- to a 48-volt power source, it seems to me they would have done it long ago. The cost of such a change for E-Z-Go would be a miniscule addition to their costs.
  • The 40-mile range of the E-Z-Go has been tested using GPS units quite often here in TV. It is a completely valid claim. Remember, if you modify a cart to go faster or constantly use the headlights, those actions can reduce the range of any golf cart quite noticeably.
  • Lastly, when considering the range question, think about how you might use your cart. Driving around TV you'll have a hard time averaging more than about 10mph. With a cart that has a 40 mile range that means your fanny would be sitting in your golf cart for four hours. For a Par Car, six hours! Are you going to be driving around anywhere near that amount of time in a day? If not, the question of voltage and range is a bit inconsequential when comparing electric golf carts.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:44 PM

since golf cart heights and leg rooms differ. large men and small women might want to test different manufacturers to see which accommodates them best. i can barely get into some of my friends carts.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Veteran member

The difference between a 36v and 48v cart, for most practical purposes, would be negligible. SteveZ is correct that voltage should not be confused with power. However, voltage is a factor in calculating available power output. Without getting toooo technical power=Voltage x Current (amperage) OR P=VI. If your algebra skill is a bit rusty this means that any increase in voltage would result in cooresponding decrease in amperage (current draw) to produce the same available power output. So, a 48v system would draw less amps and technically would provide a little more range with all things being equal (motor horsepower, cart-passanger-payload weight). A 48v system would also provide higher low-end torque.....this you would feel when accerlerating from a dead stop (a little more felt pep). With regard to range, what Kahuna mentions is correct in that the kind of driving you do has a big influence on range. Acceleration events places the largest load on your batteries, so lots of stop-and-go activity will obviously reduce range a lot. But the higher HP motor ratings and higher low-end torque of 48v systems offsets this current load... but just a bit. The best way to think of range (in terms of juice use) is watt-hours. If you do some research, and do the math, you'll find that 36v systems actually have more watt-hours per full charge than 48v systems but not by much. Speed should be nearly identical with both systems and this also is a function of motor horsepower rating, load weight, tires etc. Additionally, limiters are installed to keep top speeds within legal allowable limits. The higher low-end torque of a 48v system would also give you a little more oomph going over hills on the course.

Bottom Line: It's six of one compared to half dozen of the other.

Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL

Old 09-20-2007, 02:40 PM

When it comes time to replace the batteries, which costs more a 36 volt system or a 48 volt system?

Old 09-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Veteran member

Good point poromo. Peformance is one thing.....maintenance cost is another.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL

Old 09-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default The Only Other Thing I Noticed...

...in comparing the two systems is that the leg room on the 48-volt carts seemed noticeably less than the 36-volt E-Z-Go I bought. I guess the 48-volt car makers had to find someplace to fit the extra batteries and that appears to be lessening the distance between the front edge of the seat and the gas pedal. I'm a big guy and I always felt that I'd get a cramp in the anterior tibialis muscle, like when you get a shin splint pain, if I had to keep my foot on the pedal for very long. Someone else noted that above.

For most women and all but the tallest men this won't be an issue. But it is something to consider when doing your test rides.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:51 PM

What is the longes lasting 6 volt batteries

Old 11-03-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
I think the only electric golf car that uses a 36-volt system is E-Z-Go.[/list]
I have a Club Car that runs 36 volts, although maybe they don't make them anymore..mine is older.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
I think the only electric golf car that uses a 36-volt system is E-Z-Go. I own two E-Z-Go carts and have found no disadvantage in range as the result of their chosen power source. My carts both attain the maximum legal speed of a little less than 20 mph. And both carts have a range of about 40 miles.

Among those manufacturers using a 48-volt system, only Par Car claims that it results in a longer range--60 miles, as recall. Some of the competitors challenge that, but that debate is for another day, I think.

I would suggest that the following be considered when choosing between the two power sources...
  • E-Z-Go is the largest golf cart manufacturer in the U.S. by a good margin. If there was a particular advantage to changing from a 36- to a 48-volt power source, it seems to me they would have done it long ago. The cost of such a change for E-Z-Go would be a miniscule addition to their costs.
  • The 40-mile range of the E-Z-Go has been tested using GPS units quite often here in TV. It is a completely valid claim. Remember, if you modify a cart to go faster or constantly use the headlights, those actions can reduce the range of any golf cart quite noticeably.
  • Lastly, when considering the range question, think about how you might use your cart. Driving around TV you'll have a hard time averaging more than about 10mph. With a cart that has a 40 mile range that means your fanny would be sitting in your golf cart for four hours. For a Par Car, six hours! Are you going to be driving around anywhere near that amount of time in a day? If not, the question of voltage and range is a bit inconsequential when comparing electric golf carts.

I hope this helps.
I don't think EZ-GO makes a 36 volt model anymore. We bought a 48 volt EZ-Go in July and have been very pleased with it.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:19 PM

A 48 volt golf cart has more torque than a 36 volt golf cart. Some 36 volt golf carts and have speed chips and most 48 volt carts can be programmed for speed, both going between 18 and 23 miles per hour, however some go a little slower while others go a little faster. ^ volt batteries in a 36 volt cart are the least expensive where as 12 volt in a 48 cart are the most expensive, 6 volt batteries have a little longer life time as compared to 8 or 12 volt batteries.....any questions send me a message and i will further explain

Old 02-13-2014, 02:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

8 6-volt batteries have a greater range than 6 8 volt batteries. The more batteries the better until it is time to pay for them.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.