Black sticky stuff in Kitchen Tap Water

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Veteran member
Default Black sticky stuff in Kitchen Tap Water

I went to fill a water bottle from the kitchen tap and was amazed at what came out. The bottle was loaded with black flakes and the water seemed discolored. I touched some of the flakes and they just smeared and appeared to be a bit greasy. I ran the water a bit more and it got better a short time later. The water in the bathroms and the laundry room sink are all fine, as is the water from the hose hook-ups outside. Does anybody know what this was or where it came from? The laundry room sink is closest to the water heater and is ok so I don't think the heater would be it.
We had a new faucet installed about 10 months ago.
Any help/suggestions appreciated.
Walt.

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 03-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt. View Post
I went to fill a water bottle from the kitchen tap and was amazed at what came out. The bottle was loaded with black flakes and the water seemed discolored. I touched some of the flakes and they just smeared and appeared to be a bit greasy. I ran the water a bit more and it got better a short time later. The water in the bathroms and the laundry room sink are all fine, as is the water from the hose hook-ups outside. Does anybody know what this was or where it came from? The laundry room sink is closest to the water heater and is ok so I don't think the heater would be it.
Walt.
What did the water department say?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:06 PM

soon you will be moving to Beverly Hills
Old 03-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I haven't had any debris in water ever here in Laurel Valley or in Hadley. It will be soon four years.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Walt.
I would recommend taking apart the aerator attachment on the faucet and see if perhaps a gasket was flaking off little pieces. Since you didn't get it out of any other faucets, that's the only thing I could think of.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
I would recommend taking apart the aerator attachment on the faucet and see if perhaps a gasket was flaking off little pieces. Since you didn't get it out of any other faucets, that's the only thing I could think of.
That is a very good idea. Mold grows VERY quickly. I looked in the drain of my sink and it was black. I had the stopper in overnight.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdh1470 View Post
Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I went to fill a water bottle from the kitchen tap and was amazed at what came out.
The bottle was loaded with black flakes and the water seemed discolored. I touched some of the flakes and they just smeared and appeared to be a bit greasy.
I ran the water a bit more and it got better a short time later. The water in the bathroms and the laundry room sink are all fine, as is the water from the hose hook-ups outside. Does anybody know what this was or where it came from? The laundry room sink is closest to the water heater and is ok so I don't think the heater would be it.
Walt.
...............Black Flakes.....Greasy feel when you smear them.

....It is likely BLACK ("Bacteriological") IRON ...... It is lurking in most ALL water pipes....NOT TO WORRY......

GENERALLY seen AFTER pipes are bumped or disturbed or new faucets or other items are installed in your system.
SOMETIMES caused by pipes being disturbed UPSTREAM that belong to supplier of you water.

IF you are familar with the following procedures ...and a little bit mechanically inclined ....you might consider this a do-it-yourself project.

YOU MUST WEAR SAFETY GOGGLEs AND KEEP the AREAS WELL VENTILATED...

IF you have a "filter" set-up for your household water supply..... simply shut OFF the water supply.....then pour 10 oz. of Chlorine in the filter basket....turn the water supply back ON ........run EACH tap IN the house UNTIL you smell Chlorine. ( when you first run the water you will get ...air bursts..... because you opened the system.....Drape a wash cloth around the taps ....and ...wear clothes you don't like ..in case chlorine gets on you.)
Do EVERY tap. ...then wait 6 hours or so ....then run each tap again UNTIL you no longer smell chlorine.....When you first run the water after the SIX hour (MINIMUM) wait ...you LIKELY will see the BLACK IRON come out of EACH tap.

BE SURE TO BUY BOTTLED WATER PRIOR TO THIS PROCEDURE.....AND.....
TAPE A WARNING TO EACH FAUCET....including your shower...
DO NOT DRINK THE WATER UNTIL THE CHLORINE SMELL IS GONE.......

.....OR....You can simply IGNORE the flakes......and clean your faucet screens when the flow seems restricted from the buildup of BLACK IRON.

IF the BLACK IRON bothers you.... and... you are not familar with the procedure....CALL a PLUMBER....
LIKELY COST.....$65. for service call.
.........................75. for Labor.

Then YOU run your taps after the 6 or more hours. IF you want the PLUMBER to Come ack to run the water DOUBLE the COST
Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Gold member
Default Hmmm untreated water

No comment you guys no what I'm thinking. Lol
Old 03-27-2012, 04:01 AM
Sage

Mr. Fixit ... do you recommend a filter for the household water? And if so, what kind?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:52 AM

Had same problem. I called the plumber who for $60 told me to call Delta. He said the line inside the kitchen faucet was deteriorating. The house is 13 months old. Called Delta faucets and they determined (on the phone) that the plumber was right. They are sending me a new hose. Now I need to have the plumber back out to install it. Yes, another $60 fee then pay him in 15 minute increments. I think this is ridiculous so am asking the plumber for a break in the cost to return.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdh1470 View Post
Texas tea?
Old 02-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
Texas tea?
Nope....black gold.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Gold member

Goodbye city life..
Oops wrong show.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlm790 View Post
Had same problem. I called the plumber who for $60 told me to call Delta. He said the line inside the kitchen faucet was deteriorating. The house is 13 months old. Called Delta faucets and they determined (on the phone) that the plumber was right. They are sending me a new hose. Now I need to have the plumber back out to install it. Yes, another $60 fee then pay him in 15 minute increments. I think this is ridiculous so am asking the plumber for a break in the cost to return.
That's what was wrong with mine. My plumber figured it was a part of the faucet and we got a replacement from Delta. Then, when he came back he replaced some supposedly deteriorated washers which he said was the problem. There was another tube thing he didn't replace (and insisted wasn't the problem). Well, it turns out that the tube was the problem... so it wasn't fixed even then. Luckily we were having our counter tops replaced and the plumber who was hooking up the new ones knew immediately what was wrong and fixed.

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.