Blues Brother's Revue

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2015, 08:33 AM
Gold member
Default Blues Brother's Revue

We went to see the Blues Brother's Revue last night, awesome show. Some of the best talent I have ever seen, especially the harmonica and lead guitar. Hope to see more shows like this in the future.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I understand there was a bit of false advertising. Matt "Guitar" Murphy and Paolo Schaffer from the original movie were supposedly going to play and weren't there.

I'm sure it was a great show, but it's another example of people trading off a name when none of the original people are there.
We thought about going too, and the first thing I did was look up who was actually performing with the Blues Brothers Revue. After looking at their website I found that they are a traveling show produced by Akroyd etc. but made it clear they were not the real deal.

That was also made pretty clear by the low ticket prices for this event in comparison to other shows at The Sharon.

We didn't end up making it this time, but glad to see folks have had a good time.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:40 AM
Sage

We went to the 8PM show last evening and really enjoy the performance......apparently the entire audience did, too....
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	52734  
Old 06-28-2015, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I understand there was a bit of false advertising. Matt "Guitar" Murphy and Paolo Schaffer from the original movie were supposedly going to play and weren't there.

I'm sure it was a great show, but it's another example of people trading off a name when none of the original people are there.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Going tonight. Can't wait. I might even valet park.[emoji6]
Old 06-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

We are also going tonight - looking forward to the show. It'll be our first look at The Sharon.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:45 AM
Sage

I went to the 8PM last evening . High energy show , audience was very engaged . Lots of fun !
Old 06-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

Well, I don't see where they were supposed to be there. Here is the ad from the Villages Entertainment email I got:

Dan Aykroyd, Judy Belushi and Musical Director Paul Shaffer present The Official Blues Brothers Revue. This live concert show combines the comedy and hits from the original movie and pays homage to Chicago’s rich history of blues, gospel, and soul music. Hear all of The Blues Brothers classics such as “Soul Man”, “Rubber Biscuit”, “Sweet Home Chicago”, “Rawhide” and “Gimme Some Lovin”. Jake, Elwood and the band hit the right balance of humor, music and mayhem. Upbeat and uplifting, The Official Blues Brothers Revue is fun for all ages.

No matter where you put the accent on the bold word, it still says those three are presenting the show, not attending or performing the show. The newspaper ad says the same thing. I don't see any attempt to mislead or misrepresent at all. The show was well done. After a while, the performers seemed to become Dan and John. When the show is produced by an original member and the widow of an original member, I don't think they should be accused of trading off a name. Rather I consider it keeping the magic alive.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:41 PM
Gold member

Well, I enjoyed it so much that I came home and watched the movie again on Netflix.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
Well, I enjoyed it so much that I came home and watched the movie again on Netflix.
LOL, I was going to do the same thing, but I fell asleep...
Old 06-28-2015, 06:21 PM

What is the dress code to enjoy a show at the Sharon? Just want to blend in.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:35 PM

We found the showing to be very amateurish and left at halftime. Last November, the North Lake Presbyterian Church locally put on a Blues Brothers show with four local brothers. That show was dynamite! There was so much life and action on the stage. We thought the performers last night could not sing or dance and the band was way too loud. If you ever see the show at North Lake Church advertised, I suggest you go and you will likely agree with me. The tickets at North Lake were far less expensive also.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:37 PM
Sage

I've attended three concerts at The Sharon. Attire I wore and attire I saw, was casual. Some men were in shorts and shirts, some were in long pants and shirts. Women were in shorts and blouses, some were in capris and blouses or shirts and a few wore summer dresses. I think the type of concert might help dictate what type of clothing to wear, but it is Florida, in the summer and it's hot.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:31 AM
Default Sharon Attire for Blues Bro Concert

Casual Togas would be OK?
Old 06-29-2015, 07:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
Casual Togas would be OK?
Only if it was a production of "Animal House"....
Closed Thread

Tags
blues, brothers, revue, lead, guitar, hope, harmonica, future, shows, talent, night, awesome, show

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.