Brace Yourself Here Comes the Whining - The Villages is growing again

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2017, 10:14 AM
Sage

For those who don't have access to a Daily Sun, here is a map shown in the article.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan0005.pdf (379.3 KB, 873 views)
Old 01-27-2017, 11:15 AM
Sage

Link to Daily Sun article: Here we grow again! - The Villages Daily Sun: Villages
Old 01-27-2017, 11:22 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Great news out today in the paper, The Villages is set to grow again. 8000+ more acres. Not a surprise, the developers are continuing their family business of Developing properties. Good for them for having vision and being successful in their business.

Now the whining will start - it's too big, they're greedy, blah blah blah...

Break out the cheese to go with you whine.

Get over it people, The Villages wasn't too big when you bought your house, but now it is, have to love the "I've got mine.." attitude of some people.

Greedy, nope, just good at their business. Those with the "greedy" and "How much is enough" mind set need to look in the mirror. What were you thinking when you were amassing you retirement savings? It was OK for you to be part of a growing business and working towards your future, but when others are successful they're evil? That green eyed monster jealousy is looking back at you in the mirror.

Continued growth is very good for the area, if the growth stops, unemployment will go up and with it crime; and the safety we all feel living here in TV will quickly disappear.

This much growth will surely bring much needed commercial growth with it that will be good for everyone.

If you haven't noticed, there is the beginnings of a decoupling process going on in TV. Do the people in the BW area really care what's happening in SS or even LSL? Do the people in the SS area really care what is going on in the BW area or Finney? More and more the answer is no. There's enough going on in everyone's local area that the distant areas of TV have little impact on our lives, this process will continue. Does this mean TV will fracture, likely not, it does mean lots of new options for recreation and commerce. This is the same process all cities go through as they grow and thrive.

To the developers I wish nothing but the best of luck in this new growth spurt. Bring on the bulldozers!
Nominated for Best Post of the Year.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Circletrack got it right. The Villages is about 113,000-115,000. The Metropolitan Statistical Area, known as The Villages MSA, is all of Sumter County and is about 157,000.
More than just Sumter. TV includes parts of Marion and Lake too.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBoo54 View Post
More than just Sumter. TV includes parts of Marion and Lake too.
Yes, but those parts of TV are not included in The Villages MSA - only the Sumter part. The 113,000-115,000 is the population of all The Villages - Marion, Lake and Sumter.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
The article states, "That includes the community's newest neighborhood, the Village of Fenney, announced last May ..." It seems clear to me that Fenney is included in the 8,000 acres.
What I read was that there are 14,000 new homes planned, and that includes 4,600 of those were going to be in Fenney. The expansion is MUCH larger than just Fenney. The areas in green in the paper are the areas that have been purchased I believe. That's why they said "South of Brownwood" and not "South of The Turnpike". Lots of the land is north of the turnpike and some is all the way over to I-75.

Obvious questions are:

1) Will a new country club be built eventually? We know about the 4 executive courses being built in Fenney.

2) Will all of this be golf cart accessible from the "main campus" one day? Is there a goal to be able to get from anywhere to anywhere in The Villages in a golf cart?
Old 01-27-2017, 01:18 PM

Maybe now Trader Joe's and Costco will build here?
Old 01-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
Maybe now Trader Joe's and Costco will build here?
A question for you, please: What does Costco have that Sam's Club doesn't? Aren't they basically the same?
Old 01-27-2017, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
A question for you, please: What does Costco have that Sam's Club doesn't? Aren't they basically the same?
Having had membership at both stores (currently only at Sam's), the only difference I can tell is that Costco has more letters in it's name
Old 01-27-2017, 02:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Having been a member of Sam's Club, Costco and BJ's Warehouse, I'd prefer a Costco hands down over the other two. Selection is better for the stuff my wife and I like, quality is better for the house brands of the products we like and the employees are far more friendly and helpful.
Veteran member

However the Census Bureau MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) known as The Villages is only Sumter County and is ALL of Sumter County.
Veteran member

Integrity
Old 01-27-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon82 View Post
What I read was that there are 14,000 new homes planned, and that includes 4,600 of those were going to be in Fenney. The expansion is MUCH larger than just Fenney. The areas in green in the paper are the areas that have been purchased I believe. That's why they said "South of Brownwood" and not "South of The Turnpike". Lots of the land is north of the turnpike and some is all the way over to I-75.

Obvious questions are:

1) Will a new country club be built eventually? We know about the 4 executive courses being built in Fenney.

2) Will all of this be golf cart accessible from the "main campus" one day? Is there a goal to be able to get from anywhere to anywhere in The Villages in a golf cart?
Might some day be looking at a " Villages North " and a " Villages South ". Doubt they will ever be connected over 44, but who knows.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Greedy?

Quote:
Great news out today in the paper, The Villages is set to grow again. 8000+ more acres. Not a surprise, the developers are continuing their family business of Developing properties. Good for them for having vision and being successful in their business.

Get over it people, The Villages wasn't too big when you bought your house, but now it is, have to love the "I've got mine.." attitude of some people.

Greedy, nope, just good at their business. Those with the "greedy" and "How much is enough" mind set need to look in the mirror. What were you thinking when you were amassing you retirement savings? It was OK for you to be part of a growing business and working towards your future, but when others are successful they're evil? That green eyed monster jealousy is looking back at you in the mirror.

Continued growth is very good for the area, if the growth stops, unemployment will go up and with it crime; and the safety we all feel living here in TV will quickly disappear.

This much growth will surely bring much needed commercial growth with it that will be good for everyone.

If you haven't noticed, there is the beginnings of a decoupling process going on in TV. Do the people in the BW area really care what's happening in SS or even LSL? Do the people in the SS area really care what is going on in the BW area or Finney? More and more the answer is no. There's enough going on in everyone's local area that the distant areas of TV have little impact on our lives, this process will continue. Does this mean TV will fracture, likely not, it does mean lots of new options for recreation and commerce. This is the same process all cities go through as they grow and thrive.

To the developers I wish nothing but the best of luck in this new growth spurt. Bring on the bulldozers!

My feelings about the new growth is that when we bought we were promised that the building would max out in 2015 with a total of 90000 people, We considered the amenities, the infrastructure, The size and capacity of the roadways, etc. and decided the number was conducive to buying here.
Now the developer has added far more homes and people but has done nothing to improve the roads and infrastructure. When the birds are here is is already too crowded in restaurants, in the rec centers, at many recreational activities and the roads have become over crowded which, along with the driving acumen of renters ans snowbirds has increased the number of auto accidents has increased. The thing which has not increased and which will become woefully inadequate is the number of hospital and ER beds. That has always been a squeaky issue at the current number of residents.
I also Notice that the Village of Fenney which is more of a resort than the other Villages has access to all the villages amenities This will pretty much make it impossible to get into activities. It is the activities which brought us here so losing them will be a huge loss. Not so much of a reason to live here.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 01-27-2017, 03:42 PM
Sage

Quote:

I couldn't agree with you more. I for one, would not want to deny anyone living in this paradise.

The Daily Sun seems to have displayed Fenney as a resort type community with all of the accompanying facilities. I believe they said four golf course and a pool with a grill where food can be ordered.

I like to say that everyone tends to look at the finished product but they don't have the vision to borrow all of the money and take on a chance on TV being a successful community. Where were the naysayers when this was all cattle farms and watermelon patches.

A hearty round of applause to the Morse family for having the vision and creating/perpetuating this immaculate community.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

Tags
growth, area, business, good, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.