Brown flakes on clothes in washing machine...need help

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2016, 07:58 AM
Default Brown flakes on clothes in washing machine...need help

I am having difficulty with my washing machine. It is just over a year old. I do not use fabric softener and I have cleaned the tub (on the tub clean cycle) twice with 2 cups of vinegar and twice with "Affresh" washer cleaner. I checked the hose and they are fine yet I am still having difficulty with these brown flakes. They stain all my clothes. I wonder if it could be were the water dispenses within the washer...I am at a lost...I need help...thank you in advance.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:07 AM
Sage

Do you have a water filter for your house, if you do change the filter element--if you don't get a filter--also flush your hot water heater--if the house is more than 5 years old, there may be sediment in the bottom of the water heater
Old 12-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We purchased an LG from lowes that did tbe same thing. Fortunately we paid fir the extended warranty and it was replaced. Lowes repair people said we had rust on tbe drum. Rust particles transported into tbe washer through the drain holes. Washer was about two years old. We have whole house softener and filtration systems. Replacement was not instantaneous and easy, but the local repair people (A&E) finally declared it not fixable because they couldn't get tbe right parts.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
We purchased an LG from lowes that did tbe same thing. Fortunately we paid fir the extended warranty and it was replaced. Lowes repair people said we had rust on tbe drum. Rust particles transported into tbe washer through the drain holes. Washer was about two years old. We have whole house softener and filtration systems. Replacement was not instantaneous and easy, but the local repair people (A&E) finally declared it not fixable because they couldn't get tbe right parts.
That was going to be my response (a rusted drum). A whole house water filter would have nothing to do with the problem the OP experienced.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Daily Run View Post
I am having difficulty with my washing machine. It is just over a year old. I do not use fabric softener and I have cleaned the tub (on the tub clean cycle) twice with 2 cups of vinegar and twice with "Affresh" washer cleaner. I checked the hose and they are fine yet I am still having difficulty with these brown flakes. They stain all my clothes. I wonder if it could be were the water dispenses within the washer...I am at a lost...I need help...thank you in advance.
Brown suspicious flakes on clothes after washing
Old 12-02-2016, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

I doubt it rusty drum, (especially only year old) most are stainless steel or ceramic coated. Probably as suggested by Jnieman link. Water heater IMO stretch, unless it 10 plus years old. I use liquid detergent less likely to scum up or cake like powder detergent.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Sage

Another thing I was wondering about is why the water screen filter built into the machine didn't catch it. Not sure if they still put those in but we used to have one on our old washer and had to clean it periodically because of sediment in our water. Makes me think the flakes aren't coming from the water if the water goes through the filter to fill the drum.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Ours was rust. I saw it when they removed the drum.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:28 PM

There is a small filter were the hoses hook up to the washer and they are clean...I called LG and they are sending a repair person at their expense...keeping my fingers crossed although I have alot of stained clothes.
Closed Thread

Tags
tub, brown, washer, difficulty, clothes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.