Brownwood

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
So you're saying, the developer, a world class business family, shut down a very successful business because they wanted to get out of the restaurant business? That's hard to believe.
It's not hard to believe if their time, money and energy could generate a higher rate of return in another business like building homes...
Old 08-23-2016, 09:56 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumbapie View Post
It's not hard to believe if their time, money and energy could generate a higher rate of return in another business like building homes...
Yep, they only want to develop. They definitely aren't restauranteurs.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:59 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Getting back to Brownwood...... It is a very unique place. For example, the Barnstorm Theater. I doubt you will see anything like the lobby of the theater anywhere. The entrance to Brownwood with the cattle etc. Brownwood is different and no expense was spared. It's an attraction in itself and the Developer has made a "statement" here. I don't know this but have the feeling Brownwood has Gary Morris written all over it.

In our travels to other retirement communities around the country, it's the unique commercial properties that separates The Villages from other retirement communities. Their business model has been very successful and I suspect Brownwood will be too.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Faux Key West is far more attractive than Six gun City Brownwood. More akin to deputized children carrying around 6 shooters hunting down the stage coach bandits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess you aren't from the southwest! Most of those folks like it just fine.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
[/COLOR][/B]
There was a very successful restaurant in the spot now leased by Panera Bread. It wasn't seven years vacant.

In fact I liked it better. We were given a free meal there on our Life Style Visit. Someone will remember the name and post it.
I loved that place. It was more like a tea room.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
Retail real estate is a difficult business these days. We all point and click on Amazon and all the other internet shopping sites. Everyone wants the best price. Brick & Mortar stores are falling by the wayside everywhere. The Villages may be a bubble, but the residents are educated, intelligent, and certainly shop around. Malls are closing everywhere, strip centers are struggling, Macy's and Sears are closing stores by the 100's.
I have spoken with "the developer" about leasing property to open a business, and the terms were no different than anywhere else. Yes, they were looking for a percentage of top line sales, all GOOD retail centers do. You don't build a development like Brownwood without a long range plan. But it is a long range plan. It would not be prudent for any business person to disclose the long range plan as it would invite speculators that would cut into the profits.
I think it will just take many more years for the right type of business to locate to the squares. Foot traffic and browsers are one thing, but ringing the cash register pays the bills.
Great post!

I've read the developer tries rent to businesses that they consider to have a great chance of being successful.

I am one is is very well please as to how the Morse family runs TV and no one can argue with their successful formula but I"m sure some will bring up the businesses that have been closed.

Businesses fail for a variety of reasons and it's not the developers fault. IMHO

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-24-2016, 05:03 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Yep, they only want to develop. They definitely aren't restauranteurs.
weren't they in the restaurant business back in Michigan before moving to FL? Maybe I got that wrong.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:59 PM

When they first started building in the town square, there was very little going on. What stands out in my mind was a trailer set up to serve food. It sort of reminded me of being at a local county fair. With subsequent visits to TV, the streets expanded with businesses, though not fast enough for some. Nevertheless, I was satisfied with the progress. The developer has done a beautiful job in planning everything in TV, so far. I have faith that the same will apply to Brownwood. For this reason, I chose to buy there. Brownwood, IMHO, is a great work in progress.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
weren't they in the restaurant business back in Michigan before moving to FL? Maybe I got that wrong.
You are correct. Oh well. Maybe they just got tired of making money in the restaurant business?
Old 08-25-2016, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Getting back to Brownwood...... It is a very unique place. For example, the Barnstorm Theater. I doubt you will see anything like the lobby of the theater anywhere. The entrance to Brownwood with the cattle etc. Brownwood is different and no expense was spared. It's an attraction in itself and the Developer has made a "statement" here. I don't know this but have the feeling Brownwood has Gary Morris written all over it.

In our travels to other retirement communities around the country, it's the unique commercial properties that separates The Villages from other retirement communities. Their business model has been very successful and I suspect Brownwood will be too.
With the addition of Fenney, not to mention the 14 acres of land which was recently rezoned for residential units at 44 and Buena Vista, I think Brownwood will do just fine.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:36 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
I believe Gary was in advertising in Chicago before he came to help promote the Villages.
The restaurant & Brownwood was pretty much Mary Louise.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default The Brownwood in Michigan

THE VILLAGES – HAROLD SCHWARTZ & SON, H GARY MORSE | ByDuncan.com
Old 08-25-2016, 08:18 AM
Gold member

Quote:
you are correct.....they used to sell jams and jellys.....very small scale and very little profit.......

so says our realtor....anyway
Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
you are correct.....they used to sell jams and jellys.....very small scale and very little profit.......

so says our realtor....anyway
They still do. They sell jams, mustard, sauces, etc. You can also have lunch at Mary Lou's Tea Room. Love the Country Store.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post

I believe Brownwood will be 4 yrs old this fall. The theatre is excellent except that if I want to see Jason Bourne or Hillary's America I need to go to Lake Sumter Landing.
Closed Thread

Tags
brownwood, shed, light, visited, recently

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.