Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Brownwood - Wildwood (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/brownwood-wildwood-58933/)

buggyone 08-28-2012 02:50 PM

As I said in my original post, Brownwood does lie in the Wildwood limits. That does not mean that Wildwoodians are entitled to all the features of The Villages, of course. Many features are for Village residents only but also many are open to the public such as all the restaurants, bars, stores, entertainment, etc.

I wonder if Brownwood will become a Wildwood hangout and just an extension of Wildwood that many Villagers may not like.

Russ_Boston 08-28-2012 03:00 PM

After reading ALL the posts on this topic it all comes down to one word "WILDWOOD". Somehow this strikes fear into the hearts of many on TOTV. For some reason no one complains about the Lady Lake people, many of them teens, who frequent Spanish Springs. Or the Fruitland Park people, many of them teens, who frequent Lake Sumter. But mention Wildwood and all heck breaks loose between the ears of otherwise sensible people.

In my job at TVRH over the past 8 months I have met many 'locals' from Wildwood, Summerfield, Lady Lake, Oxford, Fruitland Park and other nearby areas. Yes, many of them are burdened with poverty but this doesn't make them bad! I wouldn't worry too much about hanging around Brownwood. I'll bet it will be no different than Lake Sumter or Spanish Springs.

Shimpy 08-28-2012 03:43 PM

Well just remember I told you so. What did I tell you? I can't remember but what ever happens that's what I told you.

billethkid 08-28-2012 04:12 PM

how about looking at Wildwood as if that was where we lived. And then think about the onsey twosey bad apples that every community has. Now what do you think we would have to say to those who would bad mouth our community because of the bad apples and totally ignore the other 99% that make up the real Wildwood....mothers, fathers, kids, grand kids, firemen, policemen, teachers....you know the rest of the story.....kinda like where MOST OF US are from!!!!!!

To refer to Brownwood as a possible "Wildwood hangout" is demeaning, disrespectful and not neighborly at all.

The worst part of those who refer to Wildwood with a negative inclination are just repeating or parroting what the "villages snobs" pass around, second, third, fourth et al hand!!

Very many people in TV owe an apology to the real citizens of Wildwood.

btk

gomoho 08-28-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ_Boston (Post 548549)
After reading ALL the posts on this topic it all comes down to one word "WILDWOOD". Somehow this strikes fear into the hearts of many on TOTV. For some reason no one complains about the Lady Lake people, many of them teens, who frequent Spanish Springs. Or the Fruitland Park people, many of them teens, who frequent Lake Sumter. But mention Wildwood and all heck breaks loose between the ears of otherwise sensible people.

In my job at TVRH over the past 8 months I have met many 'locals' from Wildwood, Summerfield, Lady Lake, Oxford, Fruitland Park and other nearby areas. Yes, many of them are burdened with poverty but this doesn't make them bad! I wouldn't worry too much about hanging around Brownwood. I'll bet it will be no different than Lake Sumter or Spanish Springs.

As mentioned earlier in this post when you read the crime report in the Daily Sun the folks of Wildwood seem to be very well represented. Not passing judgement just stating my observation.

skip0358 08-28-2012 04:25 PM

Most

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomoho (Post 548575)
As mentioned earlier in this post when you read the crime report in the Daily Sun the folks of Wildwood seem to be very well represented. Not passing judgement just stating my observation.

Look at the crimes they're charged with. A lot of petty crap. I'll bet the man could site many of us if they patroled here like they do in Wildwood or other areas. I'm not worried about the people who visit Brownwood any more then the other squares. I'm quite sure the powers to be will have a very close eye on things. I see quite a few articles about problems in SS but it doesn't stop people from going there.

Skybo 08-28-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip0358 (Post 548580)
Look at the crimes they're charged with. A lot of petty crap. I'll bet the man could site many of us if they patroled here like they do in Wildwood or other areas. I'm not worried about the people who visit Brownwood any more then the other squares. I'm quite sure the powers to be will have a very close eye on things. I see quite a few articles about problems in SS but it doesn't stop people from going there.

"The man". That's a blast from the past. It reminds me that many of us are from the "Woodstock generation". Pretty funny when you think about it in the context of some of the things we complain about now. Thanks for the smile Skip, and I agree with with your whole post.

lovesports 08-28-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 548573)
how about looking at Wildwood as if that was where we lived. And then think about the onsey twosey bad apples that every community has. Now what do you think we would have to say to those who would bad mouth our community because of the bad apples and totally ignore the other 99% that make up the real Wildwood....mothers, fathers, kids, grand kids, firemen, policemen, teachers....you know the rest of the story.....kinda like where MOST OF US are from!!!!!!

To refer to Brownwood as a possible "Wildwood hangout" is demeaning, disrespectful and not neighborly at all.

The worst part of those who refer to Wildwood with a negative inclination are just repeating or parroting what the "villages snobs" pass around, second, third, fourth et al hand!!

btk

Good post. I agree.

Patty55 08-28-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybo (Post 548603)
"The man". That's a blast from the past. It reminds me that many of us are from the "Woodstock generation". Pretty funny when you think about it in the context of some of the things we complain about now. Thanks for the smile Skip, and I agree with with your whole post.

LOL-Do you think that's why some of us aren't afraid of the "drug mules" :shrug:

graciegirl 08-28-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybo (Post 548603)

I don't know what "the man" means.:shrug:

herbaru 08-28-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 548615)

Police Officer

Bill-n-Brillo 08-28-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 548615)

The Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bill :)

Barefoot 08-28-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 548573)

To refer to Brownwood as a possible "Wildwood hangout" is demeaning, disrespectful and not neighborly at all. The worst part of those who refer to Wildwood with a negative inclination are just repeating or parroting what the "villages snobs" pass around, second, third, fourth et al hand!!

Well said BTK.

sharonga 08-28-2012 09:31 PM

I love your answer. New to the Villages.

asianthree 08-28-2012 09:31 PM

funny GG you know who the man is