Buddy Holly Show at TheSharon

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2016, 10:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
I am sorry that I could not go.

I grew up with Buddy and all The Crickets. Jerry (J.I.) Allison, their drummer, lived right across the street from us in Lubbock. They would hold their practice sessions at the Allison's because it was easier for the others to bring their instruments than for Jerry to take the drum set. Jerry and I were teenage sweethearts. I still have all the letters Jerry wrote to me when they finally made it big. I even have the picture of the two of us at the Amarillo Airport the first time they went to New York. They had to fly from Amarillo because TWA did not service Lubbock.

His house was restored and moved to the Buddy Holly center there in Lubbock a few years ago. I hope to go back there before long to see it. I am in one of the pictures hanging in there. It was taken at one of the practice sessions. I have a picture of that one and some of the others.

As all teen romances do, we both went on to marry others. I think Jerry's biggest disappointment was in marrying Peggy Sue. He has been married to a wonderful lady, Joanie, some 40-plus years now. They currently reside in Tennessee. We still keep in touch. He is the last one of the original Crickets still living. Sonny Curtis, who toured with them after Buddy's death, lives in Tennessee as well.

My mother was the one who broke the news to the Allisons the morning after the plane crash that took Buddy's life. What a devastating day for all of Lubbock! Trinity Baptist Church was not nearly big enough for all the people who came to his services.

I could go on and on. I have so many memories and so many stories of our times together. Teens today seem to miss so much. What a great time the 50's were for growing up!
Thanks for posting this. Very insightful.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

As mentioned in the show Buddy Holly toured England and it was a big success. The Rolling Stones, influenced by Holly's music, covered one of his songs for their first British hit. This video is a time capsule from 1964 when the Stones performed Not Fade Away on the Mike Douglass Show:

https://youtu.be/P6RWnGQ3XqQ
Old 02-07-2016, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

I absolutely loved the show and all the talented performers. The actor who played Holly is one of the best, if not the best, Buddy Holly that I've seen. (I've been watching as many YouTube videos of "Buddy, The Buddy Holly Story" that I can find.

I was so impressed with Michael Perri Jr. (Holly) that I found his email address on his website. I sent him an email telling him how much I loved the show and I appreciated the wonderful job he did portraying Buddy Holly. I also mentioned that "American Pie" at the end of the show was an epic moment to end such a stunning show and to commemorate that fateful night.

Within half an hour, I received a response from Michael from his mobile device. He was very nice to acknowledge my correspondence to him.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Veteran member

I would have flown in to see that show. Although it was not the music I grew up with as Buddy Holly died before I was born, I still enjoy his music greatly. Another talent taken way too soon.
Closed Thread

Tags
show, tonight, shows, great, thesharon, holly, wow, buddy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.