Burglary in Village of Pinellas - Ring Video Doorbell

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
You asked why they didn't answer the door, I answered. Yep, it connects to a phone. No?
Sorry, dw! Ya lost me!

Old 07-15-2016, 10:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Unfortunately, it seems as though some choose to "cheap out" when it comes to their home security.

Why not get a monitored home security system?
I suspect the reason some villagers don’t have a monitored system is cost. Many in TV are on a fixed income. I pay $210/yr for monitoring here in WA, what is it in TV? When the ring doorbell first came out I read the reviews, they were not good. Most complained it was slow or didn’t work at all. A message would get to your smartphone 5-10 mins after the bell is rung, or not at all. Maybe there have been improvements in later generations of the unit. I have regular hard-wired cameras. When the time comes to move south I’ll look into a reputable security company and do regular cameras again. My iphone doesn’t alert me instantly but it’s less than a minute.

The ring doorbell, or any camera, isn’t going to stop a burglary but it might get the perps caught. And, through the plea bargain process, maybe get some of your stuff back.

Any 55+ community is a ripe target for scum. TV being the largest 55+ comm. makes it the prime target for scum. We all need to be very vigilant.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:06 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
I suspect the reason some villagers don’t have a monitored system is cost. Many in TV are on a fixed income. When the ring doorbell first came out I read the reviews, they were not good. Most complained it was slow or didn’t work at all. A message would get to your smartphone 5-10 mins after the bell is rung, or not at all. Maybe there have been improvements in later generations of the unit. I have regular hard-wired cameras.

The ring doorbell, or any camera, isn’t going to stop a burglary but it might get the perps caught. And, through the plea bargain process, maybe get some of your stuff back.
Villagers generally do not have a tough time paying for what they want. Go out to dinner one less time a month to pay for the security monitoring. No problem.

Arm the system anytime you leave!

I want burglars kept out of my house! The video doorbell will not do that. A camera system will not do that. A Smith & Wesson will not do that when I am away. Best chance is the VERY LOUD alarm and the burglar knowing the Sheriff will arrive very soon.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:23 PM

I wonder why they did not just take the device off the wall and take it with them as they departed??? Just wondering.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blyarbrough View Post
I wonder why they did not just take the device off the wall and take it with them as they departed??? Just wondering.
The video is stored in the cloud. Taking the device would have no effect.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Hanging over Entrance

As the ex Governor had hanging over the entrance to his ranch
was: "We don't call 911"..
Old 07-15-2016, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Perhaps you would not be curious if you read the hype on the Ring homepage and watched the television ads. That should explain it for ya!
I have done both and am still curious.

Especially given the number of forced entries when people are actually home.

But hey, to each their own.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:48 PM
Sage

I wonder how long it will take for the thief to stop ringing doorbells. I'm thinking a couple of more posts in the paper should alert them to knocking....

Signed,
Skeptical
Old 07-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

I have always thought that the TV commercials for the ring doorbell are insulting. The lady, who is obviously not home, tells the potential burglar that she is bathing the children. Are they encouraging people to lie? Any burglar with half a brain would easily figure out how the ring doorbell works and know to bypass it, or worse, use it to their advantage.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Audio Video View Post
It doesn't matter if they push the button or not. Ring uses motion detection to alert you to anyone even approaching the front of your home. I typically set them @ 20-25 feet to keep false alarm from becoming annoying

I wasn't aware of that.

Thank you
Old 07-16-2016, 07:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Audio Video View Post
I've sold and installed over 100 Ring video doorbells in The Villages with great results. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
OK, here is my question: How did you determine the users had "great results"?

Did they have statistically fewer burglaries?

Or does the term "great results" mean that you got paid for doing the work? Nuthin wrong with making money.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
OK, here is my question: How did you determine the users had "great results"?

Did they have statistically fewer burglaries?

Or does the term "great results" mean that you got paid for doing the work? Nuthin wrong with making money.
Excellent points/questions.

I have been wondering the same thing.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:13 AM

Why not just get ADT. Post the sign. Set the alarm when leaving and have some peace of mind.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:01 AM
Veteran member
Default Reply

If you have or have not a security system...a sign outside your door saying "smile your on camera" works. All our visitors arrive with smiles and are looking all around for what may be a hidden camera. Ours is well hidden.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:18 AM
Veteran member

Mind boggling.

People here consistently worry about their building and stuff--which insurance covers--but not the innocent person inside who's napping or asleep and who could be beaten, stabbed, raped at gunpoint or knife.

THAT is lifelong trauma, while stuff and a building can be replaced and fixed.

Get a monitored alarm system with a loud siren that keeps intruders OUT! Why would anyone want a psycho inside their home for even 5 seconds?????

Spend the whoppin' $24/month!!

SMH.....

Closed Thread

Tags
video, doorbell, ring, burglary, promo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.