Can sprinklers run in OFF position?

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Default Can sprinklers run in OFF position?

My October water usage was 10 times normal, so I turned the control to OFF. November came in about 8 times normal. I did use a power washer for a couple hours, but I don't think that would use 20,000 gallons. The utilities office just told me that it can run in the off position if the roof water sensor malfunctions. I understand that the roof sensor's job is to shut off the sprinklers when it is full of water from rain, even if the timer says it should be running. But to turn it on when the main control is turned to OFF? That is not much of a main "off" switch!

The office did say that I could turn it off by unplugging in and taking out the batteries.

Anyone know the truth on this?

The office said they'd have someone check the water meter for a possible reading error.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'd give Jim Baumgartner a call. He has yet to fail me on any sprinkler issue.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe View Post
My October water usage was 10 times normal, so I turned the control to OFF. November came in about 8 times normal. I did use a power washer for a couple hours, but I don't think that would use 20,000 gallons. The utilities office just told me that it can run in the off position if the roof water sensor malfunctions. I understand that the roof sensor's job is to shut off the sprinklers when it is full of water from rain, even if the timer says it should be running. But to turn it on when the main control is turned to OFF? That is not much of a main "off" switch!

The office did say that I could turn it off by unplugging in and taking out the batteries.

The office said they'd have someone check the water meter for a possible reading error.
Another thread:
Sprinkler Repair...Jim Baumgartner
Old 12-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Eternal Member

My guess would be that you have a leak in the water line somewhere between your meter and the house.

It is easy to check yourself. First, make sure there is no water running in the house. Next, lift up the cover from where you have your outdoor water meter. There will be a small triangle symbol. If the triangle is turning around, it indicates water is going through the meter and therefore, there is a leak between the meter and where it enters the house.

If the triangle symbol is not slowly turning around, no leak and it is something else - maybe what the utility company said.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
My guess would be that you have a leak in the water line somewhere between your meter and the house.

It is easy to check yourself. First, make sure there is no water running in the house. Next, lift up the cover from where you have your outdoor water meter. There will be a small triangle symbol. If the triangle is turning around, it indicates water is going through the meter and therefore, there is a leak between the meter and where it enters the house.

If the triangle symbol is not slowly turning around, no leak and it is something else - maybe what the utility company said.
Aren't we talking about non-potable water? Would not have anything to do with water running in the house. Unless, of course, the OP is located north of CR466.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Gold member

Why not call the company who installed the system?
Old 12-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Sage

Without knowing type of controller, see a schematic of circuit board it is not possible to KNOW, but for the sake of discussion, IMO...

If someone designed a sprinkler circuit board in such a way that the rain sensor can override OFF, I think they missed a few classes in college, or had someone in marketing/sales supply the requirements. You can almost imagine a sales person saying wouldnt it be cool if the sprinklers knew the grass was dry and overrides off ...

IMO, the only way the sprinklers could come on is if someone manually turned then on in valve box OR you have a defective circuit board...

would love to hear what you find...

good luck.

Last edited by ajbrown; 12-16-2014 at 07:45 PM. Reason: changed controller to valve box
Old 12-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:

The sprinklers could only run in the off position if the controller malfuctioned. Homes in the Villages have hundreds of places to have undetected leaks, even under the floors. Another poster gave excellent advise, first turn off the main shut off valve, open the meter and see if the small triangle within the meter face is moving, if yes you have a leak between the meter and the house. If not moving, shut off everything inside the home, then open the main shut off and observe the red indicator. if moving, you have a leak somewhere inside the home. It could even be a commode leaking.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:

Isn't there a separate meter for the irrigation? Is it your irrigation water that is so high or your regular water? From your post, I would guess you noticed your irrigation usage was outrageously high but then you mentioned using a pressure washer which wouldn't use the irrigation water. Whether it is irrigation or regular water I think you have a leak. I've never seen a controller that would run from the OFF position intermittently, especially if it were more than one zone.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Aren't we talking about non-potable water? Would not have anything to do with water running in the house. Unless, of course, the OP is located north of CR466.
Very good point, Bogie. I live North of 466 and did not think of the houses South of 466 having separate potable and non-potable meters.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I'd give Jim Baumgartner a call. He has yet to fail me on any sprinkler issue.
I agree. I used him last week and am thoroughy satisfied. If it turns out you are responsible for repairs I would give Jim a call at 352-504-2317.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:18 PM

Thanks everyone.
I am north of 466 and have only one water supply.
There is no leak, as confirmed by zero flow when a water company tech checked the meter. Unfortunately, he was not completely clear about the possibility of sprinklers running when switched to OFF, but he did not rule it out.
It may have been the timer got screwed up from a power failure in my area, but the unit's 9 volt battery is still good.
I have reprogrammed it again. We shall see.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Thanks everyone.
I am north of 466 and have only one water supply.
There is no leak, as confirmed by zero flow when a water company tech checked the meter. Unfortunately, he was not completely clear about the possibility of sprinklers running when switched to OFF, but he did not rule it out.
It may have been the timer got screwed up from a power failure in my area, but the unit's 9 volt battery is still good.
I have reprogrammed it again. We shall see.
The 9 volt battery will not run the system. Its only purpose is to preserve your settings. Without the battery the system would revert to factory settings should the power go off.

Another way to test it is to set all days to not water and also leave the system off. If it still goes on then I would suggest calling Jim Baumgartner(sp?).

Better yet, call him now.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.