Can't reach my microwave safely

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Gold member
Default Can't reach my microwave safely

Yes, I am vertically challenged! 4'11".

I can't safely use my microwave. Can't see into it at all. I talked to the cabinet guys. They won't lower it. They said it needs to be the appliance guys due to the vent placement. The appliance people won't move it. Period.

Any suggestions? I need it lowered 3". The cabinet guy says that they used to build them lower by using a 15" cabinet overhead, now they use a 12" cabinet, thus the microwave is 3" higher than they used to build it. The Cabinet guy says can trim out the lowered unit if I can get someone to lower it.

If love to have input, suggestions on who to call.

Thanks!!
Old 07-26-2014, 01:15 AM
Gold member

Why not use a small step stool. My wife has one so she can reach the top cabinets. She is 5'.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Why not use a small step stool. My wife has one so she can reach the top cabinets. She is 5'.
The single step stool (not the type that opens) is the safest but if you are not comfortable on a stool then just buy a nice microwave and put it on your counter.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:52 AM
Sage

Get a countertop microwave?
Old 07-26-2014, 02:44 AM
Gold member

I think a step stool is too sketchy to use when handling hot foods. I'm wondering about getting the 15" cabinets put in and lowering the vent. Such a hassle. I don't mind using a step stool for retrieving things from high shelves, cabinets. But not hot food.

Can anyone suggest someone for cabinet work??
Old 07-26-2014, 02:44 AM
Veteran member

Dotti, I'm assuming your microwave is over the stove? For safety, there needs to be a specific amount of clearance between the bottom of the microwave and the top of the range. I believe it varies according to the microwave manufacturer, but my recollection is that it should be at least 16". If not, it may come up as a violation during a home inspection.

When we remodeled our kitchen, we wanted to put a taller cabinet above the microwave but the kitchen designer said we couldn't since the bottom of the microwave would be too close to the stove.

Maybe the home warranty department can assist with more accurate info as to the exact code requirements.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:59 AM
Gold member

The manufacturer states 18" clearance between cooktop and microwave. I have 21". So lowering it should not be a safety concern.

I did contact home warranty and they referred me to the appliance dealer who refused to move it.

Whatever I do will be on my dime. I really just need to find a sub who will lower it and put filler trim in place.

If anyone has had experience with someone that they could recommend, I would appreciate it!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:45 AM
Gold member

I am also vertically challenged and will be looking for a solution.

A couple of years ago, Mom and I had a microwave installed over our stove in our St. Augustine Beach condo. The appliance store recommended a carpenter to rework the upper cabinet and trim. We also needed an electrician to install a different outlet for the microwave but that wouldn't be a problem in TV as the microwave is already there. I know they were concerned about the clearance between a large pot and the microwave. it was close but met the requirements.

Maybe you should check with a cabinet installer.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 AM
Platinum member

Unless your home is different from most of the homes around here, the microwave vents straight out the wall to the outside. The vent would then have to be lowered all the way through the wall. If you have a Begonia or Gardenia or some other model where the microwave is vented up through an interior wall, you should be able to have it done without any exterior work being done.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-26-2014, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

This is exactly why I never had a micro under the cabinets before. I don't use this one very often for the exact reason you state...too high, not safe. But whenever I do, I use a small stool I keep close by...the same one I use for the cabinets...hahaha!! I never thought about having it moved so I'll keep my eye on this thread to see what you come up with. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:06 AM
Sage

If the vent turns out to be an issue you can always replace it with a self venting type. Good luck - biggest part of this project will be finding someone to do it.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:44 AM
Sage
Talking

image-jpg
Old 07-26-2014, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Help! Cabinet/microwave clearance issues - Kitchens Forum - GardenWeb

Hope there are some suggestions in this thread.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
Yes, I am vertically challenged! 4'11".

I can't safely use my microwave. Can't see into it at all. I talked to the cabinet guys. They won't lower it. They said it needs to be the appliance guys due to the vent placement. The appliance people won't move it. Period.

Any suggestions? I need it lowered 3". The cabinet guy says that they used to build them lower by using a 15" cabinet overhead, now they use a 12" cabinet, thus the microwave is 3" higher than they used to build it. The Cabinet guy says can trim out the lowered unit if I can get someone to lower it.

If love to have input, suggestions on who to call.

Thanks!!
Try a handyman.

We put a vent hood where the microwave went and built the microwave into a 4 foot wide wall we added to the kitchen. We actually put in a microwave/oven combination.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

We have a Gardenia, and the Microwave vents inside a wall and through the roof. If your house is similar, then you would need to have 3-4 inches added to the existing vent to lower it also, and this may be one of the reasons you are having trouble with a contractor. I have been known to do this work myself as I am very handy, unfortunately, I cannot do the work for you due to insurance concerns, etc. Also, in our house there is a sticker on one of the cabinets with all of the manufacturer information so you should be able to use that to match the wood and finish.
Finally, contact Home Depot and Lowes, and ask them for a contractor that installs cabinets and under cabinet microwaves, and give them a call.
Hope this helps.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.