Car roof bleaching

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2015, 04:40 PM
Default Car roof bleaching

My daughter's blue car's roof is turning white. I'm guessing this is because she always parks outside and this Florida sun is bleaching the color out of her roof. Besides buying her a garage to park in is there any solution to this problem? Will we need to have the entire car repainted?
Old 08-29-2015, 04:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You might want to buy a high-quality car cover.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:02 PM

Its the clear coat that is taking the abuse due to the sun. Proper care is the key. Hood, roof and trunk are the most critical areas to keep a good quality wax on.
Clean and wax the car with a quality wax- and then the best thing to do is use a instant detailer product often to keep so wax on it as the sun burns it off.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,123 Times in 2,239 Posts

While I not an expert, I have repaired several cars, and painted the last 7 myself. The newer cars are a base coat / clear coat, and as noted above, the clear coat is being damaged. If you are handy, and have time, and SHADE, you could very gently wet sand the clear off, and apply a new clear coat.
There are lots of pit falls here.
1. The base coat is very thin, it will be real easy to sand right thru to the primer.
2. Not are clear coats are compatible with all base coats, however, I have found the duplicolor products to generally work well.
3. You should use 800 grit (wet/dry) or higher sand paper, with water, sand a little, dry well, see where you are, and repeat if necessary.
4. Even though the clear coat is clear, you will need to properly mask the car so you get paint only where you want it.
5. Florida weather WILL give you all kinds of problems if you spray the paint yourself, with the biggest problem being the humidity. If the humidity is too high, the clear will actually fog when you apply it.

On the flip side, if it is only the roof, a good paint shop should be able to paint just that area and match the remainder of the car.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:30 AM
Platinum member

Would love to know the year and model of this car. Have seen a lot of chrysler mini vans like this over the years.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmac321 View Post
My daughter's blue car's roof is turning white. I'm guessing this is because she always parks outside and this Florida sun is bleaching the color out of her roof. Besides buying her a garage to park in is there any solution to this problem? Will we need to have the entire car repainted?
Here's a link to a message board where people are talking about this very subject.

Best Way to Fix a Faded Roof - Honda-Tech
Old 08-30-2015, 12:18 PM

2007 Toyota Corolla.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,123 Times in 2,239 Posts

Good point, this may be a case of bad paint, I remember the problems with the Chrysler products. OP do a search on your car model and paint problems. If you are lucky, maybe the manufacturer has an extended warranty.

Tags
roof, car, bleaching, park, garage, buying, solution, entire, repainted, problem, blue, guessing, turning, white, parks, daughters, color, sun, florida, cars

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.