traffic cop on bailey trail cited me driving a unregistered vehicle.

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Unhappy traffic cop on bailey trail cited me driving a unregistered vehicle.

I was driving down bailey trail going towards the gate when a traffic police officer came out of hiding and pulled me over for driving my electric cart over the allowed 20 miles an hour. Since golf carts by state law cannot exceed 20 miles an hour and when it does it is no longer a golf cart but a motor vehicle. Has anyone out there in Sumter County have or had the same issue? I need to know what happened when you had to appear in court. How much was the fine and did you have to replace your motor for a slower one? Call me at 352 750-9514 or respond to this thread with advise for me before May 1. That is the date I have to go to court in Bushnell.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Veteran member

It is always heart warming and reassuring when SCSO catches such a egregious transgression of the law of the land. I mean, heaven forbid they should have to to the hard work of catching actual criminals.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by johmer1 View Post
I was driving down bailey trail going towards the gate when a traffic police officer came out of hiding and pulled me over for driving my electric cart over the allowed 20 miles an hour. Since golf carts by state law cannot exceed 20 miles an hour and when it does it is no longer a golf cart but a motor vehicle. Has anyone out there in Sumter County have or had the same issue? I need to know what happened when you had to appear in court. How much was the fine and did you have to replace your motor for a slower one? Call me at 352 750-9514 or respond to this thread with advise for me before May 1. That is the date I have to go to court in Bushnell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
It is always heart warming and reassuring when SCSO catches such a egregious transgression of the law of the land. I mean, heaven forbid they should have to to the hard work of catching actual criminals.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

I guess the message here is slow down.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Gold member

May I ask how fast he said you were going?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Veteran member

Many many carts exceed the speed limit. If we didn't have rules and laws, I guess we'd have anarchy. Police uphold the laws as they should. That tired, worn out gripe about don't they have better things to do and higher crimes to stop, really bugs me.

I got my very first speeding ticket in my truck just 4 months ago after I've been driving nearly 50 years. I was in the wrong, I was speeding, paid the ticket and took the driving class. End of story!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Sage

If the cart goes faster than 20mph it is supposed to be properly outfitted and registered/licensed/insured as a "Street Legal" one. This has been discussed many times here, but people think they won't get caught.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
Many many carts exceed the speed limit. If we didn't have rules and laws, I guess we'd have anarchy. Police uphold the laws as they should. That tired, worn out gripe about don't they have better things to do and higher crimes to stop, really bugs me.

I got my very first speeding ticket in my truck just 4 months ago after I've been driving nearly 50 years. I was in the wrong, I was speeding, paid the ticket and took the driving class. End of story!
You are entitled to your opinion .... but that is all that it is your opinion and you sure as heck do not get to decide when the story ends!

IMO .... ticketing at golf cart for going 22-23 mph and not 20 is a giant waste of time and resources. Especially considering that SCSO only has jurisdiction in the "diamond" lanes and not on the Multi Modal Paths. It is however a nice profit center.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Veteran member

Go fight it in court. The end of the story was my own.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by johmer1 View Post

.... did you have to replace your motor for a slower one? .... Bushnell.
You may also wish to verify with your golf cart insurance company that your coverage is active even though you have a "fast" motor.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Gold member

If this the case.Sue the golf cart maker for selling golf carts that go faster then 19.9 without a speedometer.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion .... but that is all that it is your opinion and you sure as heck do not get to decide when the story ends!

IMO .... ticketing at golf cart for going 22-23 mph and not 20 is a giant waste of time and resources. Especially considering that SCSO only has jurisdiction in the "diamond" lanes and not on the Multi Modal Paths. It is however a nice profit center.
I agree with you. This is the softest job in Florida for these police. Could tell you a story that I over-heard in a restaurant between two county cops,it was a hoot.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:

and that is your opinion to which you are entitled! me? i'm delighted that the sheriff's office has the resources to enforce motor vehicle laws in the villages and throughout the county! not a waste of time in my book if it increases awareness and prevents accidents! the villages has seen some doozies that might have been prevented with greater awareness and conformance with the law! and i don't want to be involved in even a minor one! hooray for enforcement!

Old 04-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
I agree with you. This is the softest job in Florida for these police. Could tell you a story that I over-heard in a restaurant between two county cops,it was a hoot.
Hold on.....my popcorn's almost ready. I already heard your story in a prior post. This guy was driving down Rainey Trail, not a multi-modal. If you exceed 19.9 mph in an unlicensed vehicle you will get ticketed. Also, you're not allowed to pass another cart because you are then on a public street and can get ticketed for unlicensed vehicle.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Barring all the comments, I'm sorry you got the ticket. I know people have said they've known of someone who got a ticket, but you're the first first-person story I've heard. I wish you luck.

You might drop by the Sheriff's Office near 466 and Morse and ask them what you need to do to make your cart legal. Maybe if you go to the judge and show that you've lowered the governor (with verification by the Sheriff) that might help.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.