Comcast Adventures/Modems

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Default Comcast Adventures/Modems

After reading on TOTV about Comcast still charging a rental fee for those who have purchased their own modem I went back and checked our bills. We do not yet live in TV and have set up our account with a credit card/auto pay. Sure enough, we were being charged the additional $7 monthly fee for modem rental. After an exasperating amount of phone calls and waiting we finally were able to speak to someone who corrected the situation and gave us a refund.
What we learned was that when we placed our account on vacation status for the summer it automatically defaulted to modem rental status when we restarted the account in the Fall.
Thanks to the original poster who brought this to our attention. Modem owners using the vacation hiatus option should be particularly attentive to watching their bills for added charges.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Default Make / Model of Modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwpc3 View Post
After reading on TOTV about Comcast still charging a rental fee for those who have purchased their own modem I went back and checked our bills. We do not yet live in TV and have set up our account with a credit card/auto pay. Sure enough, we were being charged the additional $7 monthly fee for modem rental. After an exasperating amount of phone calls and waiting we finally were able to speak to someone who corrected the situation and gave us a refund.
What we learned was that when we placed our account on vacation status for the summer it automatically defaulted to modem rental status when we restarted the account in the Fall.
Thanks to the original poster who brought this to our attention. Modem owners using the vacation hiatus option should be particularly attentive to watching their bills for added charges.
What is the make and model of the modem we should buy? Where can we buy it ? Seems like I heard if we had a bundled system that included phone we had to use their modem.

Thanks

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 11-19-2013, 06:28 PM

This website has the Comcast approved list for compatible modems.
/DOCSIS Devices
We have a Motorola surfboard eXtreme DOCSIS3.0 sb6120, purchased on Amazon.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:19 AM

We use a Motorola SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem Gateway. This unit works great for us, it is a modem AND wifi router all built into one unit. Less wires and easier to hook up than using two separate units.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Dude View Post
What is the make and model of the modem we should buy? Where can we buy it ? Seems like I heard if we had a bundled system that included phone we had to use their modem.

Thanks
With the phone service you almost have to use their modem. If you can find one the Arris Tm722g is the one Comcast uses. But they are not readily available and not cheap.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Veteran member

You can save money by buying a combination modem/router, but modems almost never die were routers need to be replaced more often due to standards changing.

The router you might need depends on how many devices (including smart phones) are using the wifi and if you are downloading movies etc.

Today I woudn't get anything less than a "600" in it's name.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwpc3 View Post
Complain to your state's public service commission. The do this all the time. They would add extra cable boxes to our bill when we returned from vacation disconnect. They do it all the time. Our complaint resulted in a PERMANENT $50 a month bill credit! I asked for how long and the manager said from this point forward! So it pays to complain plus they should pay for their dubious business practices.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
You can save money by buying a combination modem/router, but modems almost never die were routers need to be replaced more often due to standards changing.

The router you might need depends on how many devices (including smart phones) are using the wifi and if you are downloading movies etc.

Today I woudn't get anything less than a "600" in it's name.
why the comment " woudn't get anything less than a "600" in it's name. " regarding heavy use by smartphones etc. I am looking at several devices /modem/routers and would appreciate your insight. Havanahuey
Old 04-23-2014, 08:27 PM

Wait for 2 months they will do it again.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Veteran member

We were on vacation status and our first bill when we returned was $60 higher. I called and was told when we lost our "bundle" by going on vacation status. I told them to come and get their gear...they told us they'd give us the bundle back at the introductory price.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Gold member

We have a Motorola surfboard eXtreme DOCSIS3.0 sb6120 and we use MagicJack Plus for our phone service plugged directly into our Apple Time Capsule Wireless Router. MJ+ is $10 a YEAR. We will not pay $35 a MONTH for phone service and if it ever comes to that we just will use our cell phones instead.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:43 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
We have a Motorola surfboard eXtreme DOCSIS3.0 sb6120 and we use MagicJack Plus for our phone service plugged directly into our Apple Time Capsule Wireless Router. MJ+ is $10 a YEAR. We will not pay $35 a MONTH for phone service and if it ever comes to that we just will use our cell phones instead.
We have had Magic Jack since its beginning and I'm with you, no more landline for us.

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 04-23-2014, 11:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnpat View Post
We were on vacation status and our first bill when we returned was $60 higher. I called and was told when we lost our "bundle" by going on vacation status. I told them to come and get their gear...they told us they'd give us the bundle back at the introductory price.
I hate the way that Communication Companies try to regularly rip us off. Comcast and Vonage are two examples. And then when you finally tell them you're cancelling your account, they transfer you to the Winback Department, who suddenly can offer all types of incentives to retain your business.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:53 AM
Email Reported As Spam

For me it cuts as much as it kicks. I am with Comcast phone, TV Internet. I use their modem/gateway. I deplore the fact that they rent out equipment when in my mind it (the equipment) should be included free of charge.

On the other hand I had to replace two NetGear routers that were quite costly. Comcast replaces modem free.

Comcast service has been very responsive. . I like their products and I especially like the caller ID feature because it monitors who is calling me.

If Comcast and Time Warner merge it will enable Comcast to extend its WiFi capability and hence add cell phones to their bundle. I do know that Comcast is in partnership with Verizon now but with the merger Comcast will improve their capability.

contrast that with your water charges. There are basic charges for water, irrigation sewer, etc. I also believe that to be unfair in view of the fact that we are under a three tier system.

Given all the rain we have had like most residents we did not need our irrigation system turned on for two months yet there were substantial charges for irrigation...given the three tier system I find the basic cost redundant and unfair....but where you goin go....who you goin to complain to
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.