Comcast scrambles free local channels SOB

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2015, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
But if they are in business to facilitate your reception...........?
understood but they are selling a local channels only in your area for profit and the channels are free broadcasting is my point.
I can see them charging a far rate for a good signal but 40.00 extra a month is ridiculous and unfair and they are in a very gray area in charging for free channels.
They are the big dog and have lobbyist in Washington and have yet to be challenged in their business practice.
I just want freedom of choice to put a antenna on my home or choose my carrier that i want to use not someone ramming a carrier down my throat due to the powers to be letting them on there infer-structure.
i hope you understand my point.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Audio Video View Post
A small Omni directional antenna may be fine in Orlando but it won't be much help in The Villages
untrue,i am in the south in the villages and i get 56 channels, you do have some signal losses at time due to weather etc, sun distortion etc...
but it is 3% of the time.
I am willing to suffer through it instead of buying service.
I am a homeowner that has as much electronic expertise as you, however i do not install antennas for profit and have to make any guaranty's of signals.
I understand your point and know you have to have more reliability of signal strength.
I could go higher and bigger but i want to keep a peaceful solution in the neighborhood and do not want a legal battle with the powers to be, the federal law is clear.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Yes, the letters went out a month ago with the 23rd listed as the cut off date. If you are a Comcast customer and are paying for TV service they will provide you with 2 digital adaptors free for 2 years. If you are an Internet customer only and want TV service, call me. I got a customer today limited basic with the news channels (CNN, Fox, etc) and Internet for about $60. If you sign up with me I'll hook up the boxes and program the remotes and as always, no contract. I also have a contact for Century Link and DirectTV services.

If you are interested in an antenna (I've been installing a lot of those lately) give me a call.

I'm extremely busy and often its hard to answer calls live during business hours. Please leave a message and I will call you back.
What else does limited basic include. We watch the History Channel, NatGeo. Palladia, AMC, TBS, and USA quite a bit. (All HD) does limited basic included these?

I would love to get rid of as much Comcast as I can. I have TV and internet. Love the product, hate the company and the lack of service.

I'll be moving soon so it might be a good time for a change.

I don't want a dish of any type. Several of my neighbors have had them and most are waiting for their contracts to run out so they can get cable. I live in Lady Lake so Brighthouse is not available.

What are my options?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
That's fine and dandy Chellybean but let's not lead people to believe that you can buy a small Omni directional antenna, set it up in your living room window and get a signal 60 miles away. Glad to see other audio video professionals join the thread. How long have you been in the business?

For the do it yourself'ers out there, buy a large Ultra long range UHF antenna, point it between 115-120 degrees and get it up as high as you can.
No one said put an omni direction dish in your window, it should be put on the roof or in the attic.
I am just dispute your comment that a omni directional antenna will not work in the villages.
I believe you are misleading people saying it does not work, i have a signal meter as well as you do and i know what works and what doesn't work and i do agree with one thing you have said height is the key.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I never said an Omni directional antenna wouldn't work. I said a small Omni directional antenna won't be much help.

Keyword here is small
what are you considering small mine is a 10-12 inch with a amplifier built in?
Old 06-25-2015, 11:37 AM
Sage

Funny. By chance I just read leisureville and it states that the reason the homeowners association was formed was because the villages reneged on their promise of free cable.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:13 PM
Default Free cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Funny. By chance I just read leisureville and it states that the reason the homeowners association was formed was because the villages reneged on their promise of free cable.
I understand that the original owners in the historic district get free Comcast cable since the Villages originally promised free cable. I guess that the Villages pays for it. Has that changed? Has Comcast cut back on the free channels?
Old 06-26-2015, 06:58 AM
Sage

\\\\\\\
Old 06-26-2015, 07:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
Does anyone know if the Summerfield Comcast office has any HD DTA boxes in stock? I would like to replace the two I have and get a third, free for a year as they promised, for the one TV with no box that is now fully scrambled.

This question kind of got lost in the antenna discussion. Anybody got an answer?
Old 06-26-2015, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

my question is simple how can Comcast charge for free stations, i would be pis*ed if i was the broadcaster.
Their customers that sponsors advertisements will lose viewers , i guess the hitch is that they scramble it on there cable and say they don't charge for the free channels in there basic package.
Comcast at its best, cheating customers, FCC let them get to big.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:56 AM

Wow, does anyone else remember that when cable TV was beginning? They were going to be commercial free and that's why you were going to pay for TV? Now you have to pay for free TV from them and there are more commercials then free TV has! I think that every person in the Villages who has Comcast should write them, and maybe some who were considering using them too, what they think of this business practice and will be finding an alternative asap. Lets inundate them with opinions. I can get Directv with so much more for my money. Geeze it's practically a no brainer to switch.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You are paying for the distribution of the channels over their infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
my question is simple how can Comcast charge for free stations, i would be pis*ed if i was the broadcaster.
Their customers that sponsors advertisements will lose viewers , i guess the hitch is that they scramble it on there cable and say they don't charge for the free channels in there basic package.
Comcast at its best, cheating customers, FCC let them get to big.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

FYI dont know if anyone has looked into this but deed compliance told me this morning that there are no restrictions on tv antennas. So Directv contract is up in August so I guess it's antenna time. Any cable channels you can get from Sling tv for 20 dollars a month. HBO is 15. Alot better than 100.00 from direct tv and for what.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
This question kind of got lost in the antenna discussion. Anybody got an answer?
the only answer is to ask the comcast summerfield office....how would we know?
Old 06-26-2015, 08:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
Wow, does anyone else remember that when cable TV was beginning? They were going to be commercial free and that's why you were going to pay for TV? Now you have to pay for free TV from them and there are more commercials then free TV has! I think that every person in the Villages who has Comcast should write them, and maybe some who were considering using them too, what they think of this business practice and will be finding an alternative asap. Lets inundate them with opinions. I can get Directv with so much more for my money. Geeze it's practically a no brainer to switch.
why just comcast? all the pay tv companies use the same business paradigm, what makes directtv better?? and if its a no brainer why haven't you done it?

Tags
local, channels, comcast, free, house, antennas, fire, channels.comcast, anymore, business, back, scrambled, broadcasters, finally, scrambles, sob, today, cable, internet, sunk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.