Comfort Dog

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Veteran member
Default Comfort Dog

I was recently on a Delta Flight to TV and there was a woman sitting across from me in first class with a "comfort dog".

I'm not kidding!

Give me a break!

I told my wife on our next flight I want to take my comfort donkey with me. Ha. When is all this ridiculousness going to end?
Old 04-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I was recently on a Delta Flight to TV and there was a woman sitting across from me in first class with a "comfort dog".

I'm not kidding!

Give me a break!

I told my wife on our next flight I want to take my comfort donkey with me. Ha. When is all this ridiculousness going to end?
Wait a minute....hold on. You're complaining about someone having a comfort dog....but I'm looking at you're picture and you've got your dog dressed in fatigues with an ammo belt???
Old 04-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

I'm not kidding!

Give me a break!

Would you be making fun if that person was a combat veteran dealing with PTSD? Just like you can't always see why someone qualifies for a disabled parking permit, you can't always see why someone qualifies for a service/companion/comfort dog.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
Wait a minute....hold on. You're complaining about someone having a comfort dog....but I'm looking at you're picture and you've got your dog dressed in fatigues with an ammo belt???
It was her Halloween costume.

Unfortunately, she died about 4 months ago.

I miss her every day.

I'm still against comfort dogs.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
Would you be making fun if that person was a combat veteran dealing with PTSD? Just like you can't always see why someone qualifies for a disabled parking permit, you can't always see why someone qualifies for a service/companion/comfort dog.
I happen to be quite allergic to dogs. Is that fair to me?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Normally, I don't get involved with dog threads but I am intrigued how you can be allergic to dogs when you use to have a dog? How did you manage your allergies being a dog owner?

Condolences to losing your beloved pet.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Platinum member

I'm sorry you're dog passed.

Please don't condemn someone for having a comfort dog. They are used in many capacities nowadays. They can tell if someone is going to seizure, PTSD as another poster mentioned, etc,etc.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Gold member

When I lived in Virginia, I used to fly back and forth to Michigan with my cat. My cat's flight often cost more than my flight did. They have strict restrictions on an animal flying in the cabin.

Cheetah was approved for the Pets On Wheels program in Virginia. That meant he had a medical and behavioral test so he could visit patients in nursing homes every weekend. His disposition came in very handy when one of our flights was delayed because another plane lost its hydraulic system on the runway. Cheetah entertained all the kids at the gates for over five hours. I can't tell you how many parents thanked me.

I started driving back and forth when I got a second cat.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
When I lived in Virginia, I used to fly back and forth to Michigan with my cat. My cat's flight often cost more than my flight did. They have strict restrictions on an animal flying in the cabin.

Cheetah was approved for the Pets On Wheels program in Virginia. That meant he had a medical and behavioral test so he could visit patients in nursing homes every weekend. His disposition came in very handy when one of our flights was delayed because another plane lost its hydraulic system on the runway. Cheetah entertained all the kids at the gates for over five hours. I can't tell you how many parents thanked me.

I started driving back and forth when I got a second cat.
Great story. Sounds like Cheetah saved the day!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Sage

Guess that person will fit right in at The Villages 'cause most of us LOVE dogs be they comfort, seeing eye, rescue, mutts, or anything in between. Get over it.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippyclubb View Post
Normally, I don't get involved with dog threads but I am intrigued how you can be allergic to dogs when you use to have a dog? How did you manage your allergies being a dog owner?

Condolences to losing your beloved pet.
I had monthly allergy shots for 14 1/2 years plus oral allergy meds PRN.

She was worth it but if a dog is on a plane and I have not premeditated, it is a big deal for me.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
That's confusing...but my condolences on the loss of your sweet pup.

Edited: Oh, so you were willing to go through all that in order to have a pet...but you begrudge someone else having a comfort dog on a plane with you, without even knowing their disability?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I had monthly allergy shots for 14 1/2 years plus oral allergy meds PRN.

She was worth it but if a dog is on a plane and I have not premeditated, it is a big deal for me.
If you are on a plane and have an allergy to dogs, you may ask that the person and dog be reseated. Trust me on this..I worked for an airline and know this to be true. We travel with our dog..he goes under the seat (for a very stiff fee). Most people never know he is there. I did once have a seat mate object and I was moved to another seat. It just isn't really that big of a deal. If you truly object, just say so and you will be accommodated.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
That's confusing...but my condolences on the loss of your sweet pup.
What I meant was is it fair to me to have an animal on the plane, sitting across from me, that I am allergic to.

People don't eat peanuts on the plane when someone has a peanut allergy.

Are you saying I should premeditate myself to fly in case there is going to be a comfort dog? Should peanut allergy sufferers do the same so everyone else on the plane can enjoy peanuts?
Old 04-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Additionally, anyone may take a cabin pet onboard the plane. The rules are generally that the pet must be less than 20 pounds, be in an approved carrier that fits under the seat in front of you. The pet is not allowed out of its carrier. The fee on the airline I use is 125.00 each way. A service or comfort pets fits many definitions. There are pets for seeing impaired, hearing impaired, epileptic, autistic and PTS. You may ask what service the pet performs but you may not ask what a persons disability is. This is all spelled out in the Americans with Disabilities Act. A service pet may be of any size and weight and does not pay a fee to travel.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.