Comfort Dog

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
What I meant was is it fair to me to have an animal on the plane, sitting across from me, that I am allergic to.

People don't eat peanuts on the plane when someone has a peanut allergy.

Are you saying I should premeditate myself to fly in case there is going to be a comfort dog? Should peanut allergy sufferers do the same so everyone else on the plane can enjoy peanuts?
Should a blind person be denied entry onto a plane with his/her seeing-eye dog because someone on the plane might be allergic to dogs? Yes, I think you should pre-medicate yourself if your allergies to dogs might cause a problem with service dogs.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I had monthly allergy shots for 14 1/2 years plus oral allergy meds PRN.

She was worth it but if a dog is on a plane and I have not premeditated, it is a big deal for me.
Thanks for the clarification. I tip my hat to you for your dedication and devotion while dealing with your allergies.

She's adorable in the picture. Take comfort in knowing you gave her a good home and all the fond memories.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
Should a blind person be denied entry onto a plane with his/her seeing-eye dog because someone on the plane might be allergic to dogs? Yes, I think you should pre-medicate yourself if your allergies to dogs might cause a problem with service dogs.
So, should people with peanut allergies premeditate?
Old 04-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Platinum member

Technically, you could have had 6 dogs on your flight in cages. 4 in cabin and 2 in business class....and that doesn't include the therapy dogs. So yes, to be safe you should medicate before any flight.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
Technically, you could have had 6 dogs on your flight in cages. 4 in cabin and 2 in business class....and that doesn't include the therapy dogs. So yes, to be safe you should medicate before any flight.
You really shouldn't confuse people with facts. LOL. You know the facts..actually it varies by size of the aircraft and there could be even more than you mentioned. Most people don't even notice the pets on flights but trust me, they are there.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
So, should people with peanut allergies premeditate?
Well, the airlines stopped serving peanuts several years ago because of allergies...but yes, I guess if someone has a peanut allergy, they certainly need to be prepared for exposure, whether it be pre-medicating or having an epi. But we're not talking about snacks..we're talking about people who have a legally designated service animal which they need to have with them vs a person who may have an allergy to that animal. You have the ability to pre-medicate, whereas the disabled person does not have the ability to function without their service animal.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

The last few flights I've been on still serve peanuts which sometimes I bring my own. No one ever told me to put them away.Only recently I learned I can bring nips on a plane. Who knew.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Veteran member

I don't mind premeditating but I think other people e.g. peanut allergy sufferers, should do likewise.

Last edited by JP; 04-12-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
What I meant was is it fair to me to have an animal on the plane, sitting across from me, that I am allergic to.

People don't eat peanuts on the plane when someone has a peanut allergy.

Are you saying I should premeditate myself to fly in case there is going to be a comfort dog? Should peanut allergy sufferers do the same so everyone else on the plane can enjoy peanuts?
Perhaps if you _*had*_ premedi t ated yourself you would not be this distraught over the needs of another passenger.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The word you all (mostly) are looking for is P-R-E-M-E-D-I-C-A-T-E . . . premedicate . . . not premeditate.

I'm laughing my drawers off!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
I was recently on a Delta Flight to TV and there was a woman sitting across from me in first class with a "comfort dog".

I'm not kidding!

Give me a break!

I told my wife on our next flight I want to take my comfort donkey with me. Ha. When is all this ridiculousness going to end?
Well, that is part of the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and was signed into law by George Bush and amended to make it more encompassing in 2008 by George W. Bush.

Of course, there is a lot of fraud with it as people try and have their pets fly free by claiming they are needed for calming their problems. As with any law, there are those who want to play the system to suit their wants.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Well, that is part of the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and was signed into law by George Bush and amended to make it more encompassing in 2008 by George W. Bush.

Of course, there is a lot of fraud with it as people try and have their pets fly free by claiming they are needed for calming their problems. As with any law, there are those who want to play the system to suit their wants.
You have hit the nail on the head and this is exactly why I brought the whole issue up in the first place.
By the way, in regards to another person posting, my computer corrects premedicate with premeditate. Ha ha . So funny.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:08 AM

Flying in the US today reminds me of flying in a 3rd world cargo plane. Dog, cats, goats, cargo, bags everywhere. I hate to fly.

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA
Old 04-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I had monthly allergy shots for 14 1/2 years plus oral allergy meds PRN.

She was worth it but if a dog is on a plane and I have not premeditated, it is a big deal for me.
I think the key there is, "If I have not pre-medicated". You can bring your meds with you. You can choose airlines who do not fly dogs in the cabin, or choose a different mode of transportation. A pet owner who is following the airline's policies is doing nothing wrong. Comfort pets make a huge difference on peoples' lives. You might not like it, but you do have multiple ways to avoid them.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 04-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
When I lived in Virginia, I used to fly back and forth to Michigan with my cat. My cat's flight often cost more than my flight did. They have strict restrictions on an animal flying in the cabin.

Cheetah was approved for the Pets On Wheels program in Virginia. That meant he had a medical and behavioral test so he could visit patients in nursing homes every weekend. His disposition came in very handy when one of our flights was delayed because another plane lost its hydraulic system on the runway. Cheetah entertained all the kids at the gates for over five hours. I can't tell you how many parents thanked me.

I started driving back and forth when I got a second cat.
This little blurb should be in Readers Digest, under "Life in the United States"

Might net you some cash.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.