Community (don't) Watch - mini rant

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Based on there charter, they should have helped. Maybe not with jumper cables, but they should have offered to call someone, call a tow truck, offer you a ride home, or something. If they are not here to help the citizens, then we should do what ever is necessary to eliminate them. Why pay for a service that does not add value. They need to take a hard look at what they can do to increase there value to those who pay for them. Or they could find themselves without any charter at all. (oops, starting to sound like they are acting like our folks we place in Washington)
Old 04-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Veteran member

I don't get it. America's friendliest Hometown??? Me and hubby both carry jumper cables in our vehicles which are fairly new. They don't cost very much either. Why can't these community watch characters carry them in their vehicles to help? Who cares about dumb charters and rules?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Here it is......from VCDD

Community Watch

Community Watch is the eyes of The Villages. We are not a law enforcement agency, but we do work closely with the Sheriff's departments of Lake, Marion and Sumter counties as well as the Lady Lake Police Department. We conduct roving patrols in all districts (VCCDD, SLCDD and Districts 1-10) and are responsible for manning all gates in that same coverage area.

Some of services we provide Village Residents are:

* House Checks — If you should take a vacation or be away from your home for more than seven days Community Watch will walk the perimeter of your home for a minimal fee.
* Dispatch Center — Community Watch mans a dispatch Center 24 hours a day 7 days a week in an effort to ensure that Village Residents always have a person to contact should you have any question we may help you with. Our number at our Dispatch Center is 753-0550.
* Adult Watch Program — Village residents may sign up for the Community Watch Adult Watch Program by coming into the Community Watch Office at 3130 Glenview Road, filling out a simple form and we will call any resident that wishes to participate in our program at various times during the day. This program provides those who live alone with a sense of reassurance.
* Community Watch Office — We at the Community Watch office are the organizational and directional hub of all services provided by this Division. We are open Monday thru Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. and we ask that all residents with concerns contact our office for assistance. To contact us call 753-0550 -- our staff will be pleased to serve you.

Re: Community Watch Dispatch: We have an operator located at our Dispatch Center. This Dispatch Center is manned 24 hours, 7 days a week. Call 753-0550. This Dispatch Center will help you with your concerns, assist you in reaching necessary services and/or telephone the proper authorities for you. The Dispatch Center will also send law enforcement or one of our vehicles when necessary.

http://www.districtgov.org/departmen...ity-watch.aspx
Not to get off subject, but I finally figured out why deed restrictions state you have to notify TV if you are away for more than 7 days. You call to tell them and they turn on the sales pitch, "For only $X.XX per day we can have our Community Watch team walk around your house so it will be safe during your absence." Yet another profit center!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Founder

Sometime, you can ask me about the road rage incident by a CW car against me. The CW guy actually got out of his car and came up to me with his face into mine. Fortunately for me, the entire thing was captured on surveillance video. The guy's bosses viewed the tape after I called.

They couldn't apologize enough. But I also understand that there are bad employees in every group. One incident doesn't represent the entire fleet.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna2 View Post
I don't get it. America's friendliest Hometown??? Me and hubby both carry jumper cables in our vehicles which are fairly new. They don't cost very much either. Why can't these community watch characters carry them in their vehicles to help? Who cares about dumb charters and rules?
Donna, you are absolutely right. Why can't the CW do what any decent person would do? It isn't like they're all that busy. If they can't help the residents of TV when they're having a problem, I don't see any need for them.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Based on there charter, they should have helped. Maybe not with jumper cables, but they should have offered to call someone, call a tow truck, offer you a ride home, or something. If they are not here to help the citizens, then we should do what ever is necessary to eliminate them. Why pay for a service that does not add value. They need to take a hard look at what they can do to increase there value to those who pay for them. Or they could find themselves without any charter at all. (oops, starting to sound like they are acting like our folks we place in Washington)
I guess they work for the developer and not the residents. It's sad if it does not occur to them that they can do both.

To offer help though and then not provide it, that's pathetic.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Founder

"This Dispatch Center is manned 24 hours, 7 days a week. Call 753-0550. This Dispatch Center will help you with your concerns, assist you in reaching necessary services and/or telephone the proper authorities for you. The Dispatch Center will also send law enforcement or one of our vehicles when necessary."

This is pretty clear to me.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:06 PM
REH7380
Lightbulb What It Means?

When reading the Community Watch program it states:
-House Check for a Fee: (These services are already available)
-Dispatch Center: (The last I knew this was a Sheriff's Dept. action)
-Adult Watch Program: (Who and how many use this?)
-Community Watch Offices Open: If the above is what they do why be open?
I am relatively sure the cost of this program is pretty significant and the next quesiton is do the costs justify the above identified programs? There are significant labor and transportation costs with very little return to the community. Think of this as just another tax you are paying and what is the value add to the community? The residents are paying for this outrages set of limited services.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:40 AM
Gold member
Default flat tire

I have a flat tire,should I call community watch to change it. How about "you" figuring out what to do.Maybe "you should take reponsibility to get the situation done.If your car will not start at the mailbox,walk home, hitch a ride home, call a friend. the car would be save there for awhile.The community watch would be the last I would call to help me out. You have a cell phone use it.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

paulandjean, well that's what I did, friend.
I knew my wife didn't have jumpers, so tried to find someone who did.

They said they had cables and would come help, then didn't. That's the issue.

When that didn't work, I called around and found someone.

I hope you don't ever need their services though you're paying for them, that's the second issue.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

paulaandjean -- I think you're missing the point. When I was stranded on the side of the road, I didn't expect Community Watch to do anything for me, but it seems to me they certainly should have made sure I was okay. I'd already called a friend to come help me, another car that drove by managed to stop to make sure I was okay. When I asked that they do something about my neighbor's garage door being opened, I was told they would call the proper authorities. They didn't. It didn't matter to my neighbor -- he was already dead.

The issue is that we do expect them to semi-protect us. We're told that's their mission. Yet, it seems all they really do is make sure no one is violating rules. They are not here to assist residents in any true way. They are here to aid the developer in insuring TV looks good. We are paying for this but really getting nothing in return (unless, of course, your neighbor happens to have a family of gnomes in their yard).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Just a sidenote,
I've jumped a thousand cars over the years, used to work in a auto repair shop during college years. This was no major deal, but I was in a bind and needed some help.

I didn't have jumper cables.
I could have had my wife rustling through the neighbors.
I could have called AAA immediately and waited a bit.
I wasn't trying to get Community Watch to be my car service, but...
I had their number in the car right there, and I wasn't sure what their scope of services was (besides talking to the guards at the gates), so I phoned.

They said they'd come out, they did.
They said they had jumper cables, no problem, they didn't.

I'm just suggesting here that you not have high expectations.
I think redwitch explained it much better than I.

I won't call 'em again. If I need the police or AAA or whoever, I'll call direct, no sense putting CW in the middle - non-value added
Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Veteran member

I would think that any service would carry the basics like a first aid kit and jumper cables. Whatever become of the help thy neighbor adage?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post

The issue is that we do expect them to semi-protect us. We're told that's their mission.
I agree that Community Watch could be more helpful to residents.

However, I do think they semi-protect us. I get a certain sense of security from having their trucks patrolling the neighbourhoods. I think Community Watch would immediately report any suspicious people or activities to authorities. (And I don't mean lawn ornaments!!)
Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by re-tire View Post
To watch for plastic pink flamingo invasions.
LOL I sprayed coffee all over my screen with that one!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.