A Confession of a Mover

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Veteran member

Taking a break. I've been religiously waking up at 6 every morning for the last few weeks. If it is hot in the attic, I work until 9 thereabouts without coffee or breakfast. Today it was raining and cool, so worked until 11 before I washed up. I was shredding many years of financial papers and statements and I realized that you can use the shredded papers for packing fragile items. It works quite well. Will find out when we open the stuff in Florida. I've been told to work every day for a set period clearing one area at a time. That seems to work for me. Some people like to spread everything at one time but that could get overwhelming at times. On the move we have decided to leave the stuff in storage here for at least three months minimum. We came to the conclusion that after the move here we want to rest a while at least during the summer before accepting shipments in Florida. Fortunately we have basic furnitures in place so we don't need them immediately. Keeping them in storage is not cheap especially the climate controlled one but it is a trade off with sanity. I asked the mover to split the cost so I know what actual trucking to Florida is then the cost of packing all items and finally the storage cost for three months.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorio View Post
Taking a break. I've been religiously waking up at 6 every morning for the last few weeks. If it is hot in the attic, I work until 9 thereabouts without coffee or breakfast. Today it was raining and cool, so worked until 11 before I washed up. I was shredding many years of financial papers and statements and I realized that you can use the shredded papers for packing fragile items. It works quite well. Will find out when we open the stuff in Florida. I've been told to work every day for a set period clearing one area at a time. That seems to work for me. Some people like to spread everything at one time but that could get overwhelming at times. On the move we have decided to leave the stuff in storage here for at least three months minimum. We came to the conclusion that after the move here we want to rest a while at least during the summer before accepting shipments in Florida. Fortunately we have basic furnitures in place so we don't need them immediately. Keeping them in storage is not cheap especially the climate controlled one but it is a trade off with sanity. I asked the mover to split the cost so I know what actual trucking to Florida is then the cost of packing all items and finally the storage cost for three months.
I do so commiserate and understand. It will feel so good when it is over.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Send a message via ICQ to gregntam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
You still need formal wear for cruises. On our World Cruise, we had some twenty six formal nights, I just wore my Tux, but my lovely Lady needed different dresses for rotating thru. Need them also for Assembly functions.

Some of us may mow the lawn, but will buy new small mower, I don't need my riding mower.
Getting ready to mow lawn for last time riding mower sold, for pick up tomorrow! I'm gettin' there slowly but surely!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorio View Post
That is an excellent idea, Yorio, delaying delivery. Another advantage of that is you will not be racing to beat the truck to FL. Sounds like a big job, sorting and packing. Good luck to you!
Old 08-01-2013, 02:57 PM

I have not visited yet, but I have this gut feeling the Villages is the right place for me. I have already started getting rid of things even though I am not sure when we will move.

For me I just evaluate things and think can someone else use this more than me and enjoy it? I also have sold some things and donated a ton. I am getting ready. If I never move there I will have pared down and made my home that much more clutter free...but I do think I will move there
Old 08-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitbabe View Post
I have not visited yet, but I have this gut feeling the Villages is the right place for me. I have already started getting rid of things even though I am not sure when we will move.

For me I just evaluate things and think can someone else use this more than me and enjoy it? I also have sold some things and donated a ton. I am getting ready. If I never move there I will have pared down and made my home that much more clutter free...but I do think I will move there
Hope you visit and find it measures up to your expectations

!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Veteran member
Default Advice to Future Movers

Taking a break again. After going through so far, here are my comments. We didn't have had to move this quickly. A possibility was to be a snowbird for few more years. Could we have gotten a better price next year? Who is to tell. For me I wished I had made a move when I was little younger. Don't know whether I could do it next year. Off the cuff, 60s would have been a better age to make the move. There is also your partner's readiness and also the situation after 2008. If you are contemplating a move someday, recommend doing something, anything everyday for a few hours setting the stage for the move especially if you are downsizing. Start thinking about meeting few real estate agents. We chose the one who lives in our neighborhood and sells only in our area. It helped that they felt comfortable marketing our house as is without any staging. It will also help if they already have few clients looking around the neighborhood. We resisted weekend open house. Try appointments only at least for a few weeks. Good luck
Old 08-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Veteran member

With sequestration and possible RIF's it might be harder to sell house next year. Also interest rates are going up.

We are having hard time packing, now thinking it may be good to rent out house here in SO MD, as might be better investment then cash and stocks.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorio;718***
Taking a break again. After going through so far, here are my comments. We didn't have had to move this quickly. A possibility was to be a snowbird for few more years. Could we have gotten a better price next year? Who is to tell. For me I wished I had made a move when I was little younger. Don't know whether I could do it next year. Off the cuff, 60s would have been a better age to make the move. There is also your partner's readiness and also the situation after 2008. If you are contemplating a move someday, recommend doing something, anything everyday for a few hours setting the stage for the move especially if you are downsizing. Start thinking about meeting few real estate agents. We chose the one who lives in our neighborhood and sells only in our area. It helped that they felt comfortable marketing our house as is without any staging. It will also help if they already have few clients looking around the neighborhood. We resisted weekend open house. Try appointments only at least for a few weeks. Good luck
I know you don't see it but now is the best time. We G's are mentally holding both of your hands and will be waiting with a tall cold drink and warm hugs when you arrive. This too will pass.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:50 PM

We have had 3 trips to the Villages and after each visit I cleaned out more closets. This last trip sealed the deal when we realized we could live in Florida in the summer, the weather wasn't as hot as we anticipated.

When I am going through my stuff of 35 years I ask myself "Where will this go in our house in the Villages." Not that we know yet exactly which house we are getting but we have a pretty good idea of the size. After years of saving I finally came to the realization that our kids don't want our stuff so it is much easier to get rid of.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:20 PM

Well, we're down to about a dozen or so boxes that need to be packed in the trailer and truck. I really don't know if its all going to fit. Saying prayers. And we still need to make room for my 80 lb boxer and crate! Then closing here Monday, heading to Florence ,SC for a day then FINALLY heading to our new home in TV on Wednesday. Actually we close on our new home in Santo Domingo on Friday. WHEW!!! I'm so excited and exhausted all wrapped up together. Not sure about DH, he just seems exhausted, poor guy. But I know from what I read here it will all have been worth it!! Thanks everybody for all the very helpful information making this process a little smoother. I'm off to bed for a good night sleep for tomorrow is the final curtain. Where'd that come from...I must be delirious! LOL
Old 08-02-2013, 09:13 PM

Frostola, I'm right there with ya. Good to read these posts to know I'm not alone. For us, it has been 49 yrs. Want to get rid of "the stuff" for our kids sake.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Veteran member
Default Thanks

Thanks for all the encouraging posts from so many of you. TOTV families are just great. And to those of you who are currently making the move or will shortly be embarking on a move, we will make it through just as those who already made the journey. They did go through the same process. Went for the last delivery of the books to the church. Tomorrow a friend will come to pick up the dining table set and a showcase cabinet. When the room gets empty, I think there is a feeling of liberation I think. Between farewells and work, I don't expect my wife to cook. Yesterday we went to a strip mall Chinese restaurant for a great Peking Duck. We'll miss this place just for the duck. At the end all the customers receives fortune cookies with a check. Mine read "don't panic". How appropriate. We still have to have electrician and handyman to fix few things mentioned by inspector but am told it's not bad. Two more weeks to D-day.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Sage

Yorio, I hope your packing and moving go well. You will be croaking before you know it. Congratulations on your impending froghood!
Old 08-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Veteran member

I did save almost all of my neckties, and my suits. The suits never go out of style, and I still fit in them really well. I figured that I wear at least one of them each year, so every 5 years I get to start over....lol! It is nice to dress up on our anniversary or New Years Eve, and it is kinda fun to get stared at when we are all decked out in our finery. And then I come home and put shorts and a polo shirt on.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.