cost of new a/c & furnace

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Default cost of new a/c & furnace

Does anyone know a reasonable cost for replacement a/c and furnace unit?
House is 1200 sq ft one level ranch only 9 years old. Our friends got a quote for complete replacement: $12,000.00 for a Trane. We think this is extremely "HIGH". Need your input please!
Old 10-18-2014, 05:53 PM
Gold member

That seems extremely high. My unit is 11 years old and I decided to do some advance price checking. I have a 2000 sq ft designer and have used Sunshine Air Conditioning for 8 1/2 years. Depending on what you want in the system my quote was in the $6000-$8000 range. A friend who has a 1300 sq. ft. Villa just used Sunshine Air and paid $6000. Happy shopping!
Old 10-18-2014, 06:46 PM

We had Sunshine replace ours (we have a 2 bed 2 bath Austin) - 2.5 ton unit, 13 seer and it ran 4800.00 and we will get a 500.00 rebate.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:26 PM

As an aside, it's always nice to know when you should consider replacing your heating/air conditioning equipment so you don't get stuck with a huge replacement bill when your equipment fails unexpectedly.

Here's a checklist to help you decide when to replace along with a nice tool called the "Home Energy Yardstick" that should help you to decide if the equipment in a pre-owned home is about to require major repairs or replacement.

https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm...list_consumers
Old 10-18-2014, 09:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jullie View Post
House is 1200 sq ft one level ranch only 9 years old. Our friends got a quote for complete replacement: $12,000.00 for a Trane. We think this is extremely "HIGH". Need your input please!
Run, do not walk, to get more estimates....AND call seniors against crime to check out any vendors you end up considering!!!
Old 10-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Default reply

Chuck Farrell put ours in last month (3br ranch) $3600. before rebate,

Very satisfied with unit (AMERICAN STANDARD) workmanship outstanding.

Complete system , Heating/air condition .

Al
Old 10-19-2014, 05:58 AM

As a retired Manufacturer's Representative of 30 years, I recommend getting at least 3 estimates, along with a few recent, area customers names and phone numbers from each contractor. Don't necessarily go with the cheapest, or most expensive estimate. Deal with someone that you feel comfortable with, and feel like they will be there for you should you have a problem. After calling on HVAC contractors in a five state area, I also give this advice; "Buyer beware!"
Old 10-19-2014, 07:17 AM

AC unit should last longer than 10 years call VINCENTS air and have him check it out. mine is 18 years old and still going good, had to to do a few miner repairs nothing serious in the 5 years I have owned the house I have spent 75.00 dollars
Old 10-19-2014, 07:20 AM

Vincents aire care 352-750 6044
Old 10-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Veteran member

I would, as others indicated, get additional quotes. FYI, we had a Trane unit (original install) and are replacing it already (8 years old). It was just old enough that the issues others had with it (see other threads) are not covered. For what it is worth, we checked with others (including my plumber in Michigan) and Trane has lost it luster. Might want to consider other units instead (and see what the different warranties offer).
Old 10-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Default A/C Rebate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamby View Post
Chuck Farrell put ours in last month (3br ranch) $3600. before rebate,

Very satisfied with unit (AMERICAN STANDARD) workmanship outstanding.

Complete system , Heating/air condition .

Al
Where do you get a rebate and how much is it?
Old 10-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Default Go with someone that will be there for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Big View Post
As a retired Manufacturer's Representative of 30 years, I recommend getting at least 3 estimates, along with a few recent, area customers names and phone numbers from each contractor. Don't necessarily go with the cheapest, or most expensive estimate. Deal with someone that you feel comfortable with, and feel like they will be there for you should you have a problem. After calling on HVAC contractors in a five state area, I also give this advice; "Buyer beware!"
Years ago, we went with Chuck Farrell and he did an outstanding job on the spur of the moment. He was come right out when the A/C went out. Gave us a fair price and installed a new one, without delay. A few years later, the A/C stopped working, we put a call into Chuck, and he came out late a night (after 10pm) to correct the problem. Turned out that the filter was installed improperly (by a cleaning person) and the A/C froze up. If Chuck hadn't come out right away, it would have ruined our A/C.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 PM

I was an HVAC contractor for 38 years in Massachusetts and in my opinion the contractors around here always scare people into premature replacement of their systems. An 8 or 10 year old system, even in this climate is NOT old. I've seen compressors that ran for forty years without a problem. What can really ruin an AC is running it with a low charge of refrigerant. The refrigerant cools the compressor. So the chances are that if you have a tight system that cools well and doesn't need Freon added every year it'll last a long time. Yes, fan motors and capacitors fail, but they shouldn't be that expensive to replace. I also hear all of the time about contractors saying you need a new evaporator coil. That too is rare - don't trust it! Bottom line- if your unit runs well and you get it checked periodically don't be pushed into unnecessary and costly replacement!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jullie View Post
Your price quote to me seems way out of the box! Astronomical, as a matter of fact.

Many of the posters in this thread mean well, but the real key to what a new system should cost mainly depends upon your square footage, which you've stated at 1200 s.f. and what the SEER is on a new system. The higher the SEER, the higher the price. BUT . . . the higher the SEER, the more $$$ you will save each month on your electric bill. There are also other factors involved in the pricing, but the SEER is the main one.

We are currently in the throes of investigating prices for a new system, as well. We got a quote from Munn's and have another quote for the exact system from Summa and Tony's A/C & Heating. Sunshine never got back to us. Summa was thousands below Munn's price and Tony himself (from Summa) came out and spent 1-1/2 hours speaking with my husband regarding the different choices you have within an A/C system.

My husband is a retired electrical engineer so he is as technical and choosey as you can get. He was very impressed with Tony's know-how and knowledge.

If you would like more information, please PM me with your phone number and my husband will be happy to speak with you (in layman's terms!).
Old 10-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Default Hvac/r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Big View Post
Very important. No verbal quotes. After you get their written quote ascertain if a new line set is included (copper refrigerant piping, new suction insulation). I hv seen more than one retrofit system installed here reusing existing line set.Huge mistake and rip off ( when they tell you they will flush, clean and pressure test the line set). The old line set/ insulation could be the reason you need a new system
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.