Defective whole house water filter

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2016, 08:27 PM
Default Defective whole house water filter

Has anyone else had a problem with American Plumber whole house water filters? The casing For the sediment filter casing broke off at the thread resulting in flooding in the garage. Plumber came and replaced it. Said he had never seen that happen before.
Two days later the casing on the impurities filter broke off in the same place resulting in more flooding. Thank goodness we were home to turn off the water and open up the garage doors or I'm sure our house would have been flooded.
I don't trust the whole house water filter system and will no longer use it.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Different company, and different equipment, but we had the plastic connection from the incoming water line SPLIT where it screwed into the mating connector for the water softener/whole house filter. Luckily I was in the garage when it happened and was able to turn off the water quickly. When the plumber came out to repair (same company, different tech) he stated the original installation was bad, and that METAL reinforced connections need to be made at these screw connections. He replaced all four connections, and 2 broke as he was replacing them!
Your original note stated the CASING failed, which would be a different problem, but I thought this info might be helpful.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:00 AM
Sage

We've got a three stage whole house filter system from Nova Filtration that has been problem free for the three years we've had it. Water tastes great, clothes are clean, shower stall no longer has stained grout. Very happy with it. They are a sponsor and reside in TV. Do a search for Nova Filtration and check them out.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
We've got a three stage whole house filter system from Nova Filtration that has been problem free for the three years we've had it. Water tastes great, clothes are clean, shower stall no longer has stained grout. Very happy with it. They are a sponsor and reside in TV. Do a search for Nova Filtration and check them out.
I just had the same system installed and the water is better. Glad to here that you've had no problems in three years. Crossing my fingers that it's the same for me.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
I'm on Bob's installation schedule for later in the month....
Old 02-03-2016, 11:13 AM

I have had Eco water system and I love it, never had a problem with it. Also have revirst osmosis for my drinking water and taste as good as bottle water
Old 02-03-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
We had the Nova system installed a few months ago and like it a lot as well. It doesn't do much to reduce hardness (but all things considered, the water here in TV is not that hard to begin with, nowhere near as hard as our well water was back in NY). The water from the Nova system is nice and clean and tastes very good.
--
Bob C
Old 02-04-2016, 12:24 PM

Ditto on Bob's Nova system. I also have a water softener because I like really soft water. I was using a RO system under the kitchen sink .that I since have taken out. Now all the ice made in the refrigerator are purified as well. BTW the system is MUCH cheaper than any of the water companies selling systems in TV.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Sage
Talking

I thank my clients for their support.

The Nova system is a commercial grade unit, made out of heavy duty castings, been in use in NY over 15 years in numerous aquarium systems and homes.

An here in TV for three years

Never had a filter casting fail.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:15 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

I have had a Nova system for a year. It is great.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:44 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjam View Post
Ditto on Bob's Nova system. ..... BTW the system is MUCH cheaper than any of the water companies selling systems in TV.
Well I like to say much less expensive , I have kept the cost at $495 now for 3 years, as a resident I can't gouge my neighbors.

I saw a system the other days that cost $8,300, I can't believe some of the prices here.

I could have installed the triple Nova for $495 plus a softener rated at the specs for $750, or a total of $1245.

(but in all candor I don't think any type of softener is needed here with a hardness level of 8.6-9) I don't have one either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Yes I have you scheduled for the 24th.

Last edited by Nova Filtration; 02-05-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:16 PM

I have had my NOVA system in my villa for over three years and no problems. When I moved to a larger home last year, the 1st call I made was to Bob who installed the system. He is one of the most knowledgeable persons I know when it comes to water and filtration. His system is top quality and I really like that there are 2 pressure gauges, 1 going into the filters and the other as the water leaves. I check the pressures every 2 months and when the difference is more than 5 lbs., I call Bob to replace the filters. This takes away guessing as to when to change!
Thanks Bob for your product and more for your service.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfjr View Post
I check the pressures every 2 months and when the difference is more than 5 lbs., I call Bob to replace the filters. This takes away guessing as to when to change!
Thanks Bob for your product and more for your service.
Do you know how much the pressure drops from a no filtered house to one using the Nova system? Thanks Bill
Old 02-05-2016, 06:30 PM
Veteran member

Is there really a system that can make FL tap water taste good? I have a feeling I would find that on the same shelf as the 3-legged unicorn.

Seriously, does such a system exist? In the 25 yrs I’ve lived outside of FL I’ve returned to being a tap water drinker. I was disappointed knowing I would have to return to bottled water if I move back to FL.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:34 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Arrow

There is absolutely no pressure drop.

The pipes are 3/4" in all homes [except a few larger premiers, using some 1".]

The system is built with 1" fitting in and out, so the water comes into the filter at 3/4" thru the system with 1" and exits again at 3/4"

It is not a small residential unit, it is heavy duty over-sized

The unit is about 30" wide 32" high and 8" deep, the pictures are deceiving is the size, many clients are surprised when they first see it.

I see water pressure differences throughout the Villages a low of 45psi in the higher hill areas. But average is 60 to 70 PSI

There are no pressure regulars at the water meter, the pressure is designed in the size of the water mains in the streets which depends on the number of homes on each branch.

To expand on issue of water pressure and the purpose of the gauges, the primary purpose is to tell if the filter media is loading up prior to the scheduled change-out of the filter media 12-15 months.

The second purpose is if you notice a significant drop in pressure at the faucet or shower etc. look at the Nova filter gauges an see 20-30lb drop in pressure, it indicates a massive amount of debris was flushed thru the water mains in the street.

the first chamber should be inspected. I have been called several times in situations like this, it's not an emergency water is still available in your home.

What I discovered was the first chamber had about 6" of sediment or sand like debris, the water main was broken or opened up someplace upstream causing this to enter the system in the neighborhood.

At first blush this may be annoying, but what in fact happened the Nova filter stopped that debris from going thru all the pipes in the house, protecting the water heater, toilet tank floats, dishwashers etc.

One last benefit I had seen is when the hot water heaters thermal expansion tank ruptured its membrane the water pressure went well over 100PSI.

the home owner had it replaced in short order protecting all the homes pipes.

I have been working with water filtration over 40 years in the aquarium industry, fish & corals demand good clean water.

If anyone wants to talk please call 631.338.1048

Last edited by Nova Filtration; 02-05-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
filter, water, house, casing, plumber, flooding, garage, broke, resulting, doors, turn, goodness, open, home, system, trust, longer, place, flooded, filters, sediment, thread, american, problem, replaced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.