Dishwasher Use

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgone View Post
The avg dishwasher uses 4-6 gal. The avg hand washing of dishes uses 27 gal.
27 gallons to hand wash dishes! Good God, you must leave the water running as you go to the market!
Old 02-15-2017, 01:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm interested in why people don't wash their knives in the dishwasher.
My knives (not table-setting knives) were expensive, so I always do them by hand. In addition, some contain high levels of CARBON steel, not stainless. Those would rust.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgone View Post
The avg dishwasher uses 4-6 gal. The avg hand washing of dishes uses 27 gal.

Whaaaaaat? 27 gallons of water used hand washing? No way. I just washed flatware, plates and the pots and pans used to cook today for 4 people and by my calculations of the flow rate, used about 5 gallons of water.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:56 PM

Boogie, I have a Laguiole style steak knife made in Thiers, France and it cost like 200$ and I put it in the dishwasher and I have 40$ Wusthof steak knife and I hand wash. I don't know why, but it is what I do. I think the Wusthof will go in the dishwasher soon. Worst case is they spot and I have to rewash. Not like the knives will get dull as its water not rocks.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Whaaaaaat? 27 gallons of water used hand washing? No way. I just washed flatware, plates and the pots and pans used to cook today for 4 people and by my calculations of the flow rate, used about 5 gallons of water.
Unless your water is just trickling out, you're using a lot more than 5 gallons. Water flow is deceptively fast.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
OK, who cares??? Whatever the difference in water usage (hand washed vs. half full dishwasher), it is miniscule compared to lawn and golf course irrigation. And before someone states the irrigation is "recycled" water, please remember all water ultimately comes from the same place.
Sorry, the recycled water for golf courses is coming from retention ponds. So it is very different. That's often why you will still see the sprinkler systems running, even when it rains heavily. All water obviously does come from the same place, but I wouldn't advise you to drink or wash dishes with the stuff shooting out of those sprinklers.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
Sorry, the recycled water for golf courses is coming from retention ponds. So it is very different. That's often why you will still see the sprinkler systems running, even when it rains heavily. All water obviously does come from the same place, but I wouldn't advise you to drink or wash dishes with the stuff shooting out of those sprinklers.
I guess the post was very poorly worded. For some reason I thought the OP was trying to conserve water for the purpose of the environment. In that case, which was a wrong assumption, it makes no difference whether the water is from the tap or the retention pond. No, you don't drink from the retention pond, but in terms of total water usage, washing dishes is a "drop in the bucket" compared to irrigation. All in all, water is generally a net sum zero game---oceans evaporate, ,forms clouds, clouds rain, water goes to ground. The problem tends to be uneven global distribution.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I guess the post was very poorly worded. For some reason I thought the OP was trying to conserve water for the purpose of the environment. In that case, which was a wrong assumption, it makes no difference whether the water is from the tap or the retention pond. No, you don't drink from the retention pond, but in terms of total water usage, washing dishes is a "drop in the bucket" compared to irrigation. All in all, water is generally a net sum zero game---oceans evaporate, ,forms clouds, clouds rain, water goes to ground. The problem tends to be uneven global distribution.
Yep, there's plenty of water in the world, but just not in all the right places. Thankfully it's rained in California recently, but they will likely always struggle.

Anyway, I'm learning a lot of dishwasher use. I was under the assumption running it all of the time was wasteful, so I usually hand wash if there's just a few plates and cups lying around. We don't usually run ours until it is full, though. But it's good to know that in comparison it actually uses less water.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:55 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to jalopy54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I'm not sure why we run our dishwasher, our dishes have to be clean before we load them.
Our dishes are clean too when we put them in the dishwashers...LOL

Mickey
Closed Thread

Tags
dishwasher, run, hand, wash, throw

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.