Dishwasher Use

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2017, 05:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Just hand wash the easy stuff (large pans, delicate stuff like a teak block), and put the stuff that builds up (glassware, silverware, plates) in the dishwasher and wash every 2-3 days. If you put something in the dishwasher that you need and it isn't washed yet, just pull it out.

I usually rinse off everything before I put in the dishwasher just because I am like that. I also like to use a dishwasher cleaner (get at publix) every month or so just to keep everything cleaner.

Bottom line, no need to run dishwasher daily. Think of it has a giant sink to put dirty stuff in until you get to it.

Hope this makes sense.
Almost exactly what we do. there's just two of us and we usually go two to (mostly) three days between runnings of the DW. Today's dishwashers, and I mean going back 10 years, don't want you to rinse off the dishes so much, bagboy, and you're actually doing some slight harm to the finish on your dishes if you do. Big chunks yes, small stuff no.

We have cutlery and dishware for 8 people. No way would we need to run the dishwasher every day. I like to use the sanitize function when I run it. It does a cleaner job than hand washing.

I've also heard that if you don't run your DW regularly, the seals will dry rot. I've also read that doing a whole load in the DW uses less water than hand washing every day.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:38 AM
Veteran member

When we run out of coffee ups.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'm interested in why people don't wash their knives in the dishwasher.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Almost exactly what we do. there's just two of us and we usually go two to (mostly) three days between runnings of the DW. Today's dishwashers, and I mean going back 10 years, don't want you to rinse off the dishes so much, bagboy, and you're actually doing some slight harm to the finish on your dishes if you do. Big chunks yes, small stuff no.

We have cutlery and dishware for 8 people. No way would we need to run the dishwasher every day. I like to use the sanitize function when I run it. It does a cleaner job than hand washing.

I've also heard that if you don't run your DW regularly, the seals will dry rot. I've also read that doing a whole load in the DW uses less water than hand washing every day.
lol well, I would do more than slight harm to myself if I didn't do what I was told re:dishwasher. Seriously, I'll pass this on to my better half.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

A couple here. We cook and eat dinner at home about 6 of the 7 nights. With that we control ingredients (sodium/fat etc) and portion size - as well as save a ton of $$ annually. That said, we have 2 sets of 4 'everyday' dinnerware and silverware.

So, after the home dinners, she washes everything in the sink (using WAY too much water, but shhh - commented a few times, and....yikes). Then puts in our LG dishwasher and runs about every 3-4 days. We have an "instant" hot water system installed in the house so the water is HOT during the cycle. I would hope that sanitizes better than simple sink wash.

Also - knives. I've always seen to NEVER wash knives in a dishwasher. I believe it refers to kitchen knives and not silverware knives. Apparently it expedites edge wear and knives can shift during wash dulling them. I don't put them in the DW.

My 2 cents.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Veteran member

We run ours whenever it is full regardless of the frequency. Special knives are washed and dried by hand when used.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Except for the knives, my motto is, "If it fits in the DW, it goes in the DW." You can't imagine how annoyed I was when my refrig shelves didn't fit! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
I use the dishwasher because I don't like eating bacteria for dinner.
Unless You Use a Dishwasher, You'll Probably Be Having Bacteria for Dinner... Again
We run the dishwasher every couple of days using hi-temp and saniwash.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:22 AM
Sage

A friend told me that real silverware with hollow handles can be washed in DW but with the knife blades down. As for hand washing, we add a little bleach to the soapy water to kill the critters.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
A friend told me that real silverware with hollow handles can be washed in DW but with the knife blades down. As for hand washing, we add a little bleach to the soapy water to kill the critters.
Just one caution: don't do it with vintage silver. Pre-1930 or so many vintage blades were attached to handles with pitch. Pitch cannot take high heat.

I have a thing for vintage flatware.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:20 PM

The avg dishwasher uses 4-6 gal. The avg hand washing of dishes uses 27 gal.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:52 PM

I live in a three person household and have been running my dishwasher every two days. For me it saves time and water. Like others, I'll wash knives and certain utensils by hand, along with most pots and large items. Before I run it however, I do make sure that it is full by gathering up everything - be it a coffee pot and filter holder (don't own a Keurig), pet dish, tupperware, etc. Presently I am not in TV, but conserving water very much matters to me because we deal with the use of a well and septic system. Contrary to how I have seen others wash dishes, it is possible to adequately rinse dishes without turning the faucet on full blast. Also the water doesn't have to be continuously running if you're washing something and not rinsing at that particular moment. I turn the faucet on and off frequently, rather than waste well water and tax the septic. I do prefer the water to be hot when I wash dishes. In my house, it takes a while for the water to warm up. To do everything by hand in bits and pieces throughout the day seems to me to be a waste of water. Energy wise, I suppose the dishwasher costs more, but is probably negligible if done every couple of days, and using the air dry function.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
lol well, I would do more than slight harm to myself if I didn't do what I was told re:dishwasher. Seriously, I'll pass this on to my better half.
Ha ha, safety (your own) first!
Old 02-14-2017, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

We use ours to store plastic bowls, baggies and whatever. I do the dishes, don't want the wife to get dishpan hands. 😄
Old 02-14-2017, 10:08 PM
Veteran member

The way I look at it is; If God wanted you to wash dishes by hand, He wouldn't have allowed the dishwasher to be invented!
Old 02-15-2017, 12:24 PM

Not running anything will cause it to deteriorate and will need repair eventually. Even running faucets/shoiwer/flushing toilet iu necessary in spare bathrooms. I run my DW once week, run faucets, pull plugs in sinks/baths, flush once week at least. Keeps everything working!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
dishwasher, run, hand, wash, throw

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.