Disney World's Animal Kingdom

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Default Disney World's Animal Kingdom

What has been your experience at Animal Kingdom? Looking to take some friends from Indiana there this week.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

A lot of fun. Rode Expedition Everest three times in a row.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SookeyJo View Post
What has been your experience at Animal Kingdom? Looking to take some friends from Indiana there this week.
Animal Kingdom is one of the best themed theme parks in the world. The attention to detail is amazing.

Kilimanjaro Safaris in the Africa section is a must-do. You'll likely see plenty of animals up close in a beautiful setting. The ride does get a little bumpy, but not too bad.

There are two walking trails as well where you can see and learn about animals from Africa and Asia: Pangani Forest Trail (soon to be renamed Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail) and Maharajah Jungle Trek. Also, as soon as you walk into the park, before you see the Tree of Life, there are several animal exhibits in an area called Discovery Island.

Take time to see Flights of Wonder, a great show with trained exotic birds that has some amazing moments.

For the thrill seekers, Expedition Evererst is an awesome coaster in Asia with some great theming. Even if you aren't up to ride it, be sure to walk through the Asia section and take in the sights and monkey exhibit.

Dinosaur is another thrill ride in the Dinoland section, but is pretty intense and bumpy. The area right before the ride is themed like an old roadside carnival. The attraction building is behind that.

Between Dinoland and Asia is a big theater that houses Finding Nemo the Musical. A really great show that uses some amazing puppetry to retell the film through song.

Depending on which part of the week you go, just be prepared for the holiday crowds. Maybe focus on the walking trails and shows if waiting in big lines isn't your cup of tea.

If you've already purchased tickets, look into the free FASTPASS system they offer. It will let you reserve times at three attractions and essentially skip most of the line. For best results it needs to be done before your visit. But if you are buying tickets at the gate, ask them for assistance with this and they can point you in the direction of a kiosk attendant. There still might be some times left day of.

Sorry for the long response. We've been passholders for years.

Last edited by circletrack; 05-23-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:29 AM

Animal Kingdom is always fun and lots to do. Definitely ride the Safari and see the animals. Walk the Trek and see the gorillas...amazing! The Lion King Show is like going to Broadway. There's a water ride too if you get too hot. Try to get FastPasses when you get your tickets for some of the rides that always have long lines, like Expedition Everest and the Safari. Try to get there early and wear a hat. And the food is pretty good...try Tusker House or Flame Tree BBQ. Most of all...have a great time! Love Disney...you always feel like a kid again
Old 05-23-2016, 08:40 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm not a big Disney fan. Being a coaster freak, I always found their rides to be too, well, Mickey Mouse. However, when I do have to go to Disney, I insist on going to Animal Kingdom. It is my favorite park there. The walks are wonderful. The guided tours are very well done. The animals look right at home. It is truly the best!

And, Circletrack, thanks for taking the time to explain it so well.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

You might enjoy perusing this site if you have the time:
Animal Kingdom – DisneyFanatic.com

And if you arrive there when there are lots of people entering the park - look to scoot into the Rainforest cafe, go thru the main area and out the other door and you can avoid the anxiety of entering the park in a crowd!

Old 05-23-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklein9747 View Post
Animal Kingdom is always fun and lots to do. Definitely ride the Safari and see the animals. Walk the Trek and see the gorillas...amazing! The Lion King Show is like going to Broadway. There's a water ride too if you get too hot. Try to get FastPasses when you get your tickets for some of the rides that always have long lines, like Expedition Everest and the Safari. Try to get there early and wear a hat. And the food is pretty good...try Tusker House or Flame Tree BBQ. Most of all...have a great time! Love Disney...you always feel like a kid again
Can't believe I forgot to mention Festival of the Lion King!!!
One of the best shows in all of Walt Disney World.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
Can't believe I forgot to mention Festival of the Lion King!!!
One of the best shows in all of Walt Disney World.
Love that show and how they involve the kids in it! If/when attending we used the line to the left as it seemed to attract fewer visitors and seating was much quicker!

Old 05-23-2016, 01:20 PM

Where the Magic Kingdom, I think, is more geared toward the littles, Animal Kingdom is great fun for any age, especially the animal lovers. It's fun for the younger ones, with some decent rides, but lots to do and see if you're an old fart, like me, who doesn't do the rides so much anymore. Go here What Are the Best Times to Visit Disney World? for helpful info on when and when not to go. I've used this many times with great results. You DO NOT want to go during a heavy crowd period.

This is my signature.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
Animal Kingdom is one of the best themed theme parks in the world. The attention to detail is amazing.

Kilimanjaro Safaris in the Africa section is a must-do. You'll likely see plenty of animals up close in a beautiful setting. The ride does get a little bumpy, but not too bad.

There are two walking trails as well where you can see and learn about animals from Africa and Asia: Pangani Forest Trail (soon to be renamed Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail) and Maharajah Jungle Trek. Also, as soon as you walk into the park, before you see the Tree of Life, there are several animal exhibits in an area called Discovery Island.

Take time to see Flights of Wonder, a great show with trained exotic birds that has some amazing moments.

For the thrill seekers, Expedition Evererst is an awesome coaster in Asia with some great theming. Even if you aren't up to ride it, be sure to walk through the Asia section and take in the sights and monkey exhibit.

Dinosaur is another thrill ride in the Dinoland section, but is pretty intense and bumpy. The area right before the ride is themed like an old roadside carnival. The attraction building is behind that.

Between Dinoland and Asia is a big theater that houses Finding Nemo the Musical. A really great show that uses some amazing puppetry to retell the film through song.

Depending on which part of the week you go, just be prepared for the holiday crowds. Maybe focus on the walking trails and shows if waiting in big lines isn't your cup of tea.

If you've already purchased tickets, look into the free FASTPASS system they offer. It will let you reserve times at three attractions and essentially skip most of the line. For best results it needs to be done before your visit. But if you are buying tickets at the gate, ask them for assistance with this and they can point you in the direction of a kiosk attendant. There still might be some times left day of.

Sorry for the long response. We've been passholders for years.
I agree with all of this - well said.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I'm not a big Disney fan. Being a coaster freak, I always found their rides to be too, well, Mickey Mouse. However, when I do have to go to Disney, I insist on going to Animal Kingdom. It is my favorite park there. The walks are wonderful. The guided tours are very well done. The animals look right at home. It is truly the best!

And, Circletrack, thanks for taking the time to explain it so well.
I agree in general and would go to Busch Gardens in Tampa (1st) or Universal for thrill rides, there are some decent ones at Disney too. They are just a bit spread out! I am thinking of Expedition Everest, Rock 'n Roller Coaster, Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, Mission Space, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, Test Track, Soarin' (which is running the old California story until mid June when the the around the world ride opens), Star Tours and Dinosaur.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:58 PM
Veteran member

Animal Kingdom, Disney Animal Kingdom - Disney's Animal Kingdom Overview - wdwinfo.com

This link provides information on the special Jungle Book: Alive and Magic Show that opens there this week.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:53 PM
Veteran member

As many have mentioned, the animals & rides at AK are great, but something no one has mentioned is the lush landscaping. While all the Disney parks are very nicely landscaped & meticulously maintained, they went way beyond the other parks when they built AK. We first visited when it had barely been open a year, but all of the plants & trees looked like they had been growing there for years. If you're at all interested in horticulture I highly recommend it. Here's a link to a great website with lots of pictures & details about what all went into creating Animal Kingdom.

Landscaping the World - Disney's Animal Kingdom (The “World” According to Jack)

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 05-24-2016, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Was just there. Check out how natural the setting looks for the macaw:

The Villages Florida
Old 05-25-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SookeyJo View Post
As an annual pass holder for years, I can state that there are no bad or mediocre parks at Disney. You can't lose at any of them.
Closed Thread

Tags
kingdom, animal, friends, week, indiana

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.