District 10

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2016, 06:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

You're right, got my east and west mixed up, fixed now.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS33 View Post
What do people think of District 10. What are the positives and negatives? Just wondering if anyone had opinions.
Great area. More pools and better green space. Love it. Have a house in Hillsborough
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 11-28-2016, 10:02 PM

When home closes, I will be in Dunedin and may be interested in becoming a representative someday also. The above review is great, thanks. Even when I was looking for homes I met someone who said they loving this area.

Question: In District 10, what is the snowbird population? Ballpark of course, and opinions of course. I ask because I see a lot of homes for sale in Dunedin being advertised as a perfect rental.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNJ View Post
Life's definitely better than in District 9!!!!!

District 9 - Trailer - YouTube
District 10 is in 'The Hunger Games' Bigger movie
Old 11-29-2016, 05:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
When home closes, I will be in Dunedin and may be interested in becoming a representative someday also. The above review is great, thanks. Even when I was looking for homes I met someone who said they loving this area.

Question: In District 10, what is the snowbird population? Ballpark of course, and opinions of course. I ask because I see a lot of homes for sale in Dunedin being advertised as a perfect rental.
Snowbird population is a mystery wherever you live. Maybe on your street or your block but other than that districts are really large. I know at night you can't even count on lights during off-season to tell you if someone's home now that there's new technology and/or the old fashion timer, to tell if someone's home.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:

A very interesting question. My opinion watching my friends move in over the years is that the further south the less the snowbird population. Again my opinion. When I first arrived here many of my friends were buying second homes. Now it seems they are all selling up north and purchasing home here. I suspect the higher prices of the houses are driving this.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:

What does this mean???
Old 11-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts
Default Snowbirds and Snowflakes

Quote:

What is the Snowbird population of District 10---good question. I can give you an opinion. BTY, we have lived in 4 different Villages in the last 10-11 years and they have all been new homes. The Snowbird population about the same in 3 Villages of mostly designer homes but our Villa neighborhood had more Snowbirds.

First, there are at least two labels put on part-time Village residents. Snowbirds and Snowflakes. A Snowbird is one who rents (usually winter months) and does not own a home in The Villages. A Snowflake is one who owns and "comes and goes" in The Villages but they do not rent their homes. A Snowflake may let friends or relatives occasionally use their home while they are gone. That "loosely" describes the two. Sometimes the two groups get mixed up and it's easy to see why.

As far as Snowbirds in my neighborhood of LaBelle. They are few. Villas perhaps, as a general rule, have the most Snowbirds and we only have one group of Courtyard Villas in LaBelle.

There are more Snowflakes than Snowbirds in my neighborhood. Again, not many. On my street and back street there are 4 Snowflakes (including us) and only 1 Snowbird home. I know there are Snowbirds and Snowflakes in Harlow Villas but I don't have a good idea how many.

Okay, you can see that when you take in the entire District 10 you have only a guess as to Snowbirds and, as one poster put it, a "mystery". Overall a Ballpark figure might be 8-12%.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
What is the Snowbird population of District 10---good question. I can give you an opinion. BTY, we have lived in 4 different Villages in the last 10-11 years and they have all been new homes. The Snowbird population about the same in 3 Villages of mostly designer homes but our Villa neighborhood had more Snowbirds.

First, there are at least two labels put on part-time Village residents. Snowbirds and Snowflakes. A Snowbird is one who rents (usually winter months) and does not own a home in The Villages. A Snowflake is one who owns and "comes and goes" in The Villages but they do not rent their homes. A Snowflake may let friends or relatives occasionally use their home while they are gone. That "loosely" describes the two. Sometimes the two groups get mixed up and it's easy to see why.

As far as Snowbirds in my neighborhood of LaBelle. They are few. Villas perhaps, as a general rule, have the most Snowbirds and we only have one group of Courtyard Villas in LaBelle.

There are more Snowflakes than Snowbirds in my neighborhood. Again, not many. On my street and back street there are 4 Snowflakes (including us) and only 1 Snowbird home. I know there are Snowbirds and Snowflakes in Harlow Villas but I don't have a good idea how many.

Okay, you can see that when you take in the entire District 10 you have only a guess as to Snowbirds and, as one poster put it, a "mystery". Overall a Ballpark figure might be 8-12%.

I thought the opposite. Flakes being the renters and birds the owners ?
Old 11-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
I agree. Snowflakes are the renters. Snowbirds are the owners who don't live here full time.

And someone who shall remain nameless recently made up the term "seasonal residents" to get around the snowbird label!!!!
Old 11-29-2016, 02:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
First, there are at least two labels put on part-time Village residents. Snowbirds and Snowflakes. A Snowbird is one who rents (usually winter months) and does not own a home in The Villages. A Snowflake is one who owns and "comes and goes" in The Villages but they do not rent their homes.
There are many definitions of Birds, Flakes and Seasonal Residents.
I agree with Jim's definition of Snowbirds.
But I always thought Flakes were renters who drift in and out.
On the other hand, a Seasonal Resident owns a home in The Villages and lives there seasonally.
They pay amenities and taxes all year long and are pleased to do so.
A Seasonal Resident probably has a home up North where they spend summers. Generally speaking of course.
I'd guess that 30 to 40% of residents are seasonal. Some may rent their homes; many do not.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts
Default Snowbirds and Snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
I have heard the term Snowbird for many years. It was a person from the northern part of the country who went south in the winter to get away from the cold and snow----thus they flew like a bird to a warmer climate to get away for the winter. Because they came back north when the snow melted and it got warmer they rented a "place" for the winter. In addition, some Snowbirds drove their Motorhome or pulled a trailer south for the winter.

On the other hand, I personally never heard of the term Snowflake until about 5 years ago while living here in The Villages. I have been told that a Snowflake is an owner of a home in The Villages who "comes and goes" and owns a second property where he may go at anytime of the year including winter or summer.

As I previously said in my former post, people often get the two mixed up and I totally understand why.

The OP, wanted to know a ballpark figure for the number of Snowbirds in District 10. My guess it is less than older Districts and it is in the 8-12% range. This is based on a Snowbird being a person (s) who comes to The Villages in the winter and rents a "place" to get away from the snow and cold up north.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I am a snowflake I own a home in TV I am still working. I float in and out of TV as often as I would like. My other half was a Snowbird obviously an owner of a house who came down to get out of the snow. Now retired, leaves to go up north to our summer home, to get out go the Florida heat. So i would consider that seasonal, or three seasons. So our home has all of the above and been an owner since 2010.

Last edited by asianthree; 11-29-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
district, wondering, opinions, negatives, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.